Status: Completed sequel is up

Breaking Hearts Has Never Looked So Cool

Chapter 8

By the time it hit 5 pm I felt like I had known him forever. That is probably the biggest cliché ever uttered by human lips; but on the rare occasions that it is true, it feels like pure magic.

I just about managed to keep myself from staring at him too much, although it was incredibly hard. All in all, he was a striking person; but the most remarkable thing about him by far was not his deep and beautiful eyes, not his perfectly formed features, or his overwhelming attractiveness; it was the fact that he could make me laugh. He had me suckered in by that point; hooked well and truly.

My mother always warned me that there was nothing more dangerous than a boy with charm. This boy had buckets of it; seeping out of every pore of his body – oh yes, I was sure in trouble.

“How long did Matt say it would take to get there?” I asked, checking my swatch to see that it was already nearing 530, and we had been on the road since about 10.

“Uh…” responded Gerard uncertainly, looking a little sheepish, “I don’t really remember…”

“We’ve been on the road like 7 and a half hours,” I said, and suddenly the number seemed huge to me. Had we really been driving for that long? It felt like a matter of half an hour – time flew with him.

“Have we?” Gerard sounded just as surprised as I was, and I nodded grimly in response, “we did stop for breakfast for like 2 hours though…”

“Still,” I persisted, “5 and a half hours on the road isn’t exactly likely to be right, is it?”

“We should be like, in New York by now,” said Gerard uneasily,

“How did we not notice where we were going?” I asked desperately, feeling around by my feet for a map of some kind.

“I guess I just…lost track of time,” he said, sounding a bit uncomfortable,

“I know how you feel,” I murmured.

As I felt around blindly by my feet I registered how dirty the floor of the car was. I smirked to myself; Gerard was such a boy. “I know the way,” he had said. As if. Ah yes! There it was; the map.

“Ok,” I said seriously, “where did Matt say it was?”

Gerard pulled over and ran his hand through his hair, looking slightly stressed. I couldn’t tear my eyes off of him; his hair looked really nice when he pushed it back and messed it up like that.

"You said you knew the way," I said teasingly. In all honesty, who was I to complain about spending a few extra hours alone chatting with him in the car? It might be the only alone time I ever got with him...

"Yeah..." he said, running his hands through his hair again,

"Isn't it ironic that your name is Way, and yet you have just shown that you absolutely do not know it,"

He laughed in spite of the slightly precarious nature of our situation (darkness was already fast approaching), "Shh you!" he shoved me, and I could have sworn that waves of electricity rippled through my body at his touch.

Through a little bit of team work we managed to work out that we had driven like 70 miles further North than we’d needed to. Gerard laughed uneasily; “how could I have done that?” he said, more to himself than me, and I wished that I knew.