The Past Life of Grell Sutcliff

Chapter 1

One year on. Things were still the same as they had ever been. At least once a day Grell would gain these unsightly bruises and scars to his horribly large collection. Of course, you may think that things haven’t changed too much; his house was still solely run by females, meaning he was still the only male in the house. He continued to be beaten by his mother with horrible excuses, and that one that had torn him apart emotionally continued to haunt him more than anything ever could.

And this is where we notice our transition from being a fine young male, afraid to venture outside his own room, to a pretty young lady, just trying to live up to what people expect him to be.

After that one night a year ago, he let his hair begin to grow. After all, what kind of lady didn’t have long hair? He’d been making observations of his sisters, trying to copy what they did and how they acted. He wanted to be, well, not like them as such, but they were the only feminine role models he truly had that he could see every day. No, he wanted to be more like the ladies he saw during the season, the ones that dressed up in fancy clothing and did their hair and makeup especially for the parties they were to attend that night.

His mother had begun to use the excuse of him being a male more and more of an excuse to beat him, making him want to be a lady all that much more. In fact, his self-esteem had drooped so low that he could barely look at himself in the mirror without being ashamed of what he was. He didn’t want to look in the mirror and see that face staring back at him. Instead, he wished to see that of a happy young lady that wasn’t afraid of being home just because of how they were treated.

It was one bright and sunny day when the rest of his family decided to leave for the day. He hadn’t known where, but he just knew that they’d be having a great time without him. Grell loved to be alone like this; it meant that he wouldn’t have to worry for just a few hours of being hurt by his own family.

He wandered into one of his older sister’s rooms, looking for some inspiration on how he could be more feminine, just like they were. He opened the closet to find such a lovely array of beautiful dresses. Young Grell hadn’t known how she’d managed to afford these with the money that the family lived off, but that didn’t matter. He looked through them all, wondering which would look the best on him. Of course, they were all much too large for him as she was quite a few years older than him and quite a few inches taller, but that didn’t matter to him.

His face lit up as he found one that was such a lovely shade of red. He wasn’t too sure what drew him to the colour so much, perhaps because it matched his flaming red hair. Regardless of whatever it was, he happily threw off the clothes he had been wearing and swapped it for the dress. Of course, just like all the others he had seen, it was much too big for him, but he didn’t care in the least.

When the family got home, they were all quite shocked to see Grell wearing what he was. Though it put a smile on the sisters’ faces after a while (they thought it was somewhat cute that their little brother was wearing girl’s clothing), his mother was quite infuriated with this. She actually had some kind of excuse to be beating him this time, although it was still quite weak; “you’re not a woman! You should not be dressing in women’s clothing!”

Of course, this just confused him all the more. Hadn’t she wanted him to be a woman? That’s what he’d thought this whole year, and now she was just going and telling him to do the opposite?

Once he was changed back into his usual clothing, Grell went back into his room where he had spent most of his days and nights, and thought about what he had been told. Surely this couldn’t be right? What was she expecting of him? She would be angry at him if he were a male, and even more outraged if he tried to be the girl she’d always wanted him to be. Of course, he wasn’t just going to go back to being a male now, not after all this effort he’d gone to just to impress the mother that hated him so very much. He decided that he was going to keep trying, no matter what happened, because she’d have to appreciate him sooner or later, right?

And then we are taken to later on in his life, where our story and its plot reaches its high point, where everything in this poor boy’s life is taken and brings us, finally, to the end of our story, where our poor antagonist finally takes a turn for the worst, the twist in the plot which made him the Shinigami we know and love.