Status: Hecho!

Heaven Can Wait

3

"Please just tell me you're alive?!"

That's how I answered the phone when Mikaela finally called.

"Yes, I promise." she laughed. "I've only been snowboarding."

"All day long."

"Duuuh. Anyways, I made some buddies. We're going to fiesta. Rockband, tonight! You in?"

"Uh... nah, I was panning on doing something already." I informed her as I pressed the down button for the elevator.

"Party pooper. Whatever, we'll probably do it again tomorrow too, so you can chill out then."

"Whatever you say Mikae." I smiled.

__________________________________________________________________

I guess Mikaela forcing me bring my snowboard along hadn't been such a bad idea after all. I walked through the crowds of people with it tucked under my arm and trying not to smack into anyone. Once I reached the ski lift, I checked my phone for the time. Shit, it was a couple minutes to 8:30. I tried to get through the masses quickly as I kept track of how many lights I'd passed.

Only a few people mulled around by the time I'd reached number 5. I dropped my board to the ground with a small grunt. He wasn't here yet. I didn't particularly mind; I'd rather he be the late one than myself. I kicked at the snow, digging my feet deeper and deeper as I waited.

A snow ball flew passed my head and smashed into the ground a foot away from me. I about-faced quickly, seeing Shaun approaching. He shrugged, "My aim kind of sucks."

"Lucky for me I guess."

"I thought you didn't snowboard?" he asked as he looked at the board laying half upside down at my feet.

"I said I did, just not often... and that I wasn't any good."

"All right,"he said squatting down and flipping the board right side up, "let's do this." I sat down and stuck my feet in the board. I buckled one up while he took care of the other. He stood up, holding out his hands. I grabbed them and he yanked me up. I yelped as the board began slipping out from under me.

""Keep your legs straight," he laughed. "How are you on the basic stuff?"

"It usually ends with me on the ground, but it's pretty good while it's happening."

"Okay... well," he said as he thought it over, "here." he said as he held out his hands again. He pulled me along slowly, instructing me to do this or that. Once I was able to ride properly without falling, he tried to explain how to stop. He was pretty good at teaching, I have to admit. Better than Mikaela at least. By now I'd probably be on the gound bleeding and missing an arm because she'd have ripped it off and started beating me senseless with it.

The first time I tried to stop. I fell. No big surprise there. I kept trying over and over but I'd find myself in the snow regardless. 11th try's the charm, I say. From now on anyways.

"Ahhaha!" I yelled, pumping my fists in the air. Shaun walked over shaking his head. "What?" I asked seriously.

"Hey," he said throwing his hands up in defense, "I like the enthusiasm."

"Why thank you."

"I think we should wrap this up. It's been like, two hours almost."

I nodded as I bent down to set my feet free.

"What're you doing tomorrow night?" he asked quietly.

"Uh, not really sure." I said as I stodd up-right, board tucked under my arm once again.

"We could meet up again if you want. Same time, same place. I could show you a couple more little things?" he asked as we started walking back to the hotel.

"Yeah sure." I agreed. "And thanks. For trying to help me."

"Trying?" he smiled. "I'd say this was a success." I smiled back.

"All your doing," I sighed. A group of little kids walked by and they all stopped, practically falling ontop of eachother. One murmered to another, who murmer to another under their breath. Shaun and I had started talking about little nothing kind of stuff, but I kept notice of the kids following us. He started to tell me about where he learned to snowboard as more and more people peeked over at us. In no time there was a small group othat'd formed around us. They asked for pictures and autographs and blahbla-blah. I stood frozen.

I coyuld feel the blood pumping through my veins. I looked up at Shaun a little shocked. This guy I'd been hanging out with - having the best time of my life with - Shaun. How could I have not connected any of it? Suan White? For real? He stared back at me, his eyebrows slightly raid and pushed towards eachother. He looked confused, and sorry, and... almost, it seemed like... ashamed.

"I'll see you later." I whispered, and I hurried off back inside while my little cloud of embarassment consumed me. I couldn't be that stupid. Sure, I knew nothing about snowboarding, but how I could I have not realized this.

I stared at myself in the mirrored walls of the elevator. Shaun's a common enough name isn't it? I'm not as clueless as I think I am; I'm just not. I got back to the room and still no Mikaela. I knew she wouldn't be there anyways.

Most of the night I stayed up watching things on demand.Mikaela finally got back and she told me all about her adventures. She also told me that the competition tomorrow wasn't until noon. That was a relief to me. She klonked out almost instantly. I turned everything off and laid down in my bed. I listened to the quiet as I focused on sleep. Luckily, Shaun didn't pop back into my thoughts.