Status: Hecho!

Heaven Can Wait

5

My lungs stung as I sucked in cold air. Why did I never have an inhaler when I needed one? I'd given up on trying to hurry once my lungs started screaming at me. Who knew if Shaun would even show up tonight anyways. Fricken Jace... fricken eye shadow.
But sure enough, there he sat on his board -knees up, and staring at the ground in front of him. I checked my phone one last time, seeing it just blink to 8:44. I shoved it back into my pocket hastily.
I threw my board on the ground, and threw myself down right along with it. Shaun looked over at me, trying to surpress a smile. My lungs still hurt and I knew that stupid tingle wouldn't be gong away any time soon.
"Forgot?" he asked quietly. I shook my head, still out of breath. "It's okay you know. I wouldn't blame you. Even if you wouldn't have shown up... I kind of pulled a dick move."
"No you didn't" I sighed.
"Yes I did. I knew you didn't know and I should have told you."
"I should have known."
"Are you kidding?" he laughed, "that was great! I mean... a cute chick who has no idea who I am and still wants to chill out anyways?!"
"I'm still sorry," I said as a feeling of self consiousness flooded through me. I sat up as silence fell. I glanced overin his directionquickly and noticed his goggles lying in the snow.
"Can I ask you something?" I said as I thought of how I should word this.
"Sure," he said as our eyes met.
"Okay, well," I began as I turned to face him, "You're either going to know exactly what I'm talking about or you're going to think I'm crazy." Shaun continued staring into my eyes. "Did you almost kill me the other day by running me down?" I asked squinting at him slightly. He looked down quickly as he smiled.
He laughed lightly as he scratched at his cheek, "First of all, I didn't almost kill you. And second, if you hadn't have moved, you wouldn't have gotten knocked over."
"I knew it!!!" I yelled as I pointed at him, "I knew it, I knew it, I knew it!" We sat smiling at each other and an awkward feeling started to form in the pit of my stomach.
"Hey... your eyes are beautiful. Eve... even without the makeup." Shaun hardly whispered. I smiled uncontrollably as I felt my cheeks turn red. There was no doubt they were on fire right about now.
I stood up and kicked at my board.
"You said you had more things to show me."
Shaun nodded as he stuck one of his feet into his board. I followed suit and went about trying to stop again. This time I had it down. Shaun tried to explain turning and keeping my balance at the same time. Seemed easy enough. For the most part. He slid along in front of me, watching carefully.
"Don't throw your arms out like that," he laughed.
"I'm about to fall, I can't help it!" I yelled.
"So when are you leaving?" he asked as we sat on a bench we'd stumbbled across.
"Tomorrow," I answered as I played withone of thebuckles on my snowboard, which at the moment waslying across my lap.
"Hmm," he nodded. "Morning?" he asked.
"Afternoon," I said shaking my head.
"Then, in the morning, you wanna get breakfast or something?" My heart hurt it pounded so hard.
"Yeah, sure." I agreed.
"Sweet,"
My phone started ringing and I dugout frommy pocket. I laughed, seeing it was Jace.
'The deed is done.' the message read.
Shaun peeked over, "Don't tell me they shot a guy?"
"No," I laughed.
It was odd. I'd only just been thinking about how crappy my relationship status had been and now it almost seemed like I had a date. Did I? I don'tknow... Iwas afraid to ask.
Shaun and I had made it back into the hotel. We stood just off the lobbywaiting for the elevator doors to open.
"Uhm... tomorrow? What time?" I asked.
"Not sure," he said thinking, "probably late, so... I'm sure you'll be up."
"5th post?" I asked as I slowly walked into the elevator. He stayed standing outside, taping his fingers on his board.
"Nah," he said with a smile, "I'll find you." I stared at him as the doors closed. I leaned over andknocked my forhead lightly on the wall of the elevator and couldn't help but laugh.
♠ ♠ ♠
inhalers are the story of my life...