Status: Hecho!

Heaven Can Wait

7

It was well into spring by now. Actually, it was my birthday; May 30th. Technically, it was the last five minutes of my birthday. The day had been pretty good. I went all over the place with some friends, hit up a dinner, and a little after party fiesta had been thrown in Mikaela's basement. I couldn't stop smiling all day. Just... I hadn't talked to Shaun.

Since we'd left that day at the hotel, we practically couldn't stop talking. It always kept me with an optomistic look on my day. I particularly enjoyed the super late night calls that would occur every so often. They were usually the result of one of us having a bad day. We'd tell each other everything and secrets tended to come out. Some pretty deep stuff over all, and it only made me feel that much more connected to him.

Anyways, I hadn't exactly told him it was my birthday. I had, but it was way back in like February or something. I didn't expect him to remember and it wouldn't honestly bother me if he hadn't. I just hated that the one day that we wound up not talking happened to be on my birthday. That coincidnce just slapped me in the face.

Mikaela ranted on to me through AIM about how she couldn't believe this and blah blah blah. I think her initial impression of the whole Shaun thing was a 'holy effin shit' kind of reaction. Once I talked to her about it, she completley cooled out. But I still knew she took pride in having me know him and like him. That was also a big thing for her; having me admit that I liked him.

I looked up at my clock just as the numbers switched to read 12:00. A beeping sound started literally just as they changed. I jumped. "What?" I said out loud as I squinted at the clock. Yeah... like it'd answer me. It beeped again and I turned to face my computer. Oh!... computer... not clock... or bomb...

I froze.

Video chat request: Shaun White

accept---deny

I told Mikaela I'd talk to her later and exited out before she could answer. I clicked the accept button on the little request box. A large window popped up and I waited. I pulled my legs up on the chair and rested my chin on my knees. I bit my knee as my mind wondered; thinking about what Shaun and I would talk about. There was a ridiculously anxious feeling in my stomach. It was weird. I'd never felt like this. Why was talking to Shaun now any different? Stupid birthday. Stupid video chat not getting up and running faster.

I heard a quiet chickle and stopped nawing on my leg. I smiled as I looked up at the screan. Mr. Ginger himself.

"Weirdo," he sighed as I wiped the corner of my mouth.

"Not really... you'd probably do the same thing if you were sitting like this."

"Whatever you say."

I studied his face in the screen. His eyes seemed dull and tired. Of course, this was over the computer, but there still wasn't that extra spark.

"You okay? Something up?" I asked and watched him look down, then back up quickly.

"I'm sorry," he said and started to bite on his bottom lip.

"What'd you do?"

"I completley missed your birthday."

I looked at him like he was crazy. "But you didn't know."

"Yeah I did. And then stupid meetings and this skate thing and I..." he shrugged.

"Hey, it's fine."

He shook his head.

"You didn't really miss it either. I don't think eight minutes should be such a tradgedy." I smiled. Shaun smiled back.

"Happy Birthday," he whispered.

"Thank you," I said as I felt my face get hot.

"Get anything good?" he asked.

"Eh... the usual." I shrugged. "But! I'm gonna do my hair." I said as I bounced a little.

"What're you planning?"

"I was going to make the blonde lighter and then purple. Underneath." I said as I pulled at my hair.

He nodded slowly, "You're crazy."

"You know you love it!" I yelled pointing at him through the screen.