Status: Hecho!

I Don't Know How To Say This

Chap. 5

So there we sat, surrounded by books and papers on my bedroom floor. I knew all the answers and remembered these sheets and questions perfectly, but hell if I was giving Mark a free ride through this. He was being uncharacteristically quiet which was really buging me. And he kept tapping his fingers which he knew pissed me off. He had about 3 questions left before he'd be done but he stopped. He sat staring at me for a good five minutes. I hadn't noticed right away, but even when I did he didn't stop.

"Can you finish?" I asked him aggravated.

"I will," he nodded.

"Now?"

"In a little bit."

"Or now."

"Or in a little bit," he held back a smile.

"Mark,"

"You need to tell me what happened." I blinked at him.

"You don't know how World War II stared?" He swallowed as he looked away from me.

"Why were you crying the other day?" he asked. The blood in my veins froze. I had forgoten about that.

"I don't know." I shrugged.

"No one just cries for the sake of it."

"I wasn't."

"Then why were you?"

"It's not important."

"Apparently it is,"

"I'm not going to tell you, Mark."

"Why not? You trust me don't you? I'm your friend?"

"That's not the point."

"Then what is it?"

"In case you didn't notice, I had one friend before you came along, don't you think there's a reason for that?"

"Yeah there is, so tell me."

"No!"

"How do you expect to make more friends if you don't talk?"

"I don't,"

"Caitlyn, I want to know what's wrong."

"Nothing's wrong."

"Yes there is!" he yelled.

"MARK, STOP IT!!" I yelled back. Tears had long since filled my eyes and I didn't want to deal with this any more. He didn't move. His eyes layed wide open as he watched me. I felt my chin quiver and couldn't stop it.He started to inch towards me.

"Leave," my voice cracked.

He stopped moving and sat still for only a second before quickly gathering his things. He knew I meant business.

Over the time that I'd know Mark, there had been a number of instances where I considered telling him about my passed and everything leading up to now. But I always decided against it because I felt like it was way to much to unload on a person, no mater how well I knew them or how close I felt.

The next day at school, I simply avoided him. I didn't know what I would say to him or how to apologize. It made me fell like an asshole but I felt like I had no other choice for the time being. Whenever I saw Taylor she acted all awkward towards me, so I figured Mark had told her. But I knew she understood, and I'm sure she also thinks he pushed it too far. She reminded me to be at her house by 6 tonight before we left at the end of the day.

I had more or less bummed it on the clothing front; t-shirt and sweat pants. And I didn't care who this guy was, he'd have to accept that because I was content and sure as hell not going to get uncomfortable for someone I didn't know. I did however throw on some make up before I left because I mean, I wasn't going to show up haggard.