Status: Started

500 Days of Teenage Love

Our Status

"So, how you and your girl going?" My head turns toward Jay B and I just shrug. He's beating me at the boxing game his homeboy had let him borrow. The music from the game was blasting loud and I knew his mom would come home annoyed to the messy house.

"I mean..It's good. Ya know?" We always checked on each others relationship. It was just a thing we did since we grew up

"So y'all go out? It's official? I mean she gave you the goods so I take it that it is. You know how girls be," he says while shaking his head. His hair had grown into a bushy blond mess.

"I mean, no. We just decided we're young, why should we label us? Ya know?"

"Boy, that's the most stupid shit I ever heard. You know I use to play girls, but I use to do that no relationship stuff to cheat. She playing you." He shakes his head and lands a hard K.O. on me in the game.

"Man, you just hating bro! I'm not worried."

Day 188

"So what does it mean that she doesn't want a relationship? I thought every girl in the world wants one. Definitely one with me."

Daphne simply rolls her eyes and continues typing a letter she was working on. What Jay B had said didn't leave my mind. Even as I was on the phone talking to Sam the other night, it bothered me. My conscience told me to ask her but I wasn't sure.

"OK, since you came in here bothering me and I know you won't leave until I answer, I'll give you my opinion. Hear that? Opinion. Sam is her own person and who knows what she's been through with guys."

"She told me but I just-." Daphne puts her hand up signaling me to be quiet. I frown and give her an annoyed look.

"Shush. I'm sure Sam knows your a player. You go to a school with dozens of your exes and girls you use to talk to. Now I'm sure someone or people have told her to be careful with you. Shoot, I would warn her too if I could. Sam probably has been hurt in the past and she doesn't need a repeat. Maybe she just wants to make sure you'll stay around before she starts claiming you as her boyfriend. Why don't you just asks her?"

"Asks her? I don't even know how I would do that. I would be too scared for the answer." I move my body uncomfortably in the chair.

"Pussy." Daphne flips her long black weave away from her face and dramatically sticks her tongue out at me.

"Man, keep playing with me. I'll make sure-."

"Sure what punk?" She sticks up the middle finger but suddenly jumps and puts it down.

"What is going on here? Daphne, go pick up my copies from Jenny downstairs, run and make me coffee, and stop playing damn games. You're here to work!", her boss says. He had walked out of his office I guess and she didn't expect for him to be here. Her boss leaves slamming the door.

"But our conversation?" I start.

"Hey, I have a job and you need to go hun. Just asks her. Don't be a pussy." Daphne pushes me out her office and runs to wherever to do her errands. I sigh and shake my head.