‹ Prequel: In the Long Run

I'm Coming Home

001.

He rubbed his slick palms together nervously. The perspiration was no secret to his friends, family, and girlfriend. Everyone knew this was a big day for him, a big day for all of them. They never imagined Nathan would make it to the NFL Draft. Nathan always knew this was in his agenda, it was one of his biggest goals, but when it actually came around it was a feeling he never expected. He was nervous, and scared.

"I'm sure you'll do great, babe." His girlfriend, Liz, told him while she rubbed his back comfortingly, "A great team will pick you and you'll play everyday and be the best."

Elizabeth wasn't the most knowledgeable in football or athletic like Nathan usually preferred in his girlfriends, well, in all of his friends, but she knew the right things to say and was always there when he needed her.

"Thanks." was all Nate could say.

Eventually, the draft started, and one by one, his fellow prospects were called up, congratulating one of his teammates that happened to have been drafted. But still, his name never came. When John Schneider, GM of the Seattle Seahawks walked up to announce the franchise's choice, Nate had a temporary swell of hope.

His dream was to play with the Seahawks. It was near home and he grew up loving them. Not only that, he believed, even with his current girlfriend, that he could once again see Alice. He never stopped thinking about her. It wasn't like other relationship, where he felt bad after breaking up with someone or heartbroken after someone wouldn't return his feelings. Instead, they both wanted to be together, but just couldn't. Feelings he sometimes hoped she still had.

"The Seattle Seahawks select Dontari Poe. Defensive tackle from the University of Memphis."

Nathan watched as the guy got hugs and claps on the back from his family and friends as one of Nathan's closest friends turned to him, "Sorry man, I knew how much you wanted to be with the Seahawks. Maybe you'll be drafted second round! But you're too good for second round." His friend, Benny, joked.

"Thanks, let's keep hoping." Nate said back with a friendly nudge.

GMs came and went, the first round almost over. The possibility of being with the Seahawks came closer to becoming a reality when Trant Baalke, GM or the 49ers walked up for his selection. He gave the crowd a brief smile then went on, "The San Francisco 49ers are proud to select Nathaniel Bausta, quarterback from Oklahoma State University."

It took a moment for him to process it all when his friends yelled out, "Congratulations!"

Image

"Congratulations!" Alice's mother screamed, the letter of acceptance in her hands then in front of Alice's face.

Alice's eyes went wide as she read each word, "Hold crap! No way! This is my first choice school! There's no way I got accepted. This is fake, isn't it?"

Her father let out a hefty laugh, "No, hun, this is the real deal."

She excited jumped around, "Finally, my future."

She pressed the paper to her chest, thinking of her new university life. A roommate, whole new environment. She heard about how San Francisco was like a big Vancouver but she was still excited, like a whole new world (no Disney pun intended). And even though she tried her best not to think about it, she wished Nathan was here to celebrate with her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Let's doooo this! :D