‹ Prequel: In the Long Run

I'm Coming Home

003.

"We.. we.. I need to go." Alice murmured to Monica, then rushed out of the restaurant. But Nathan got just enough of a glance to see. To recognize her.

"What was that?" Benny slurred, wrapping an arm around his friend's shoulders.

Nathan was frozen. Had no idea what to say, or do, "That was her. The girl. The one from back home that I was telling you about."

It was like Benny went instantly from drunk as fuck to completely sober, "That chick?" Benny pointed to the exit.

Monica suddenly got up with an apologetic smile, "I'm so sorry about my friend. She just moved here and I guess she's homesick or something. Plus, starting university isn't exactly easy."

Monica was about to leave, right behind Alice, when Nathan grabbed onto her forearm, "What's her name? And what do you mean starting university?"

"Her name's Alice." Monica told him.

Just that made hope grow larger for Nathan, but was quickly brought back to reality when Liz's grip on his arm got tighter, "Hon', what're you talking about? Are you okay?" But Nathan still ignored her.

"We just started at USF. I think she's studying sciences, biology, I'm sure. Well, she doesn't have a ride home and doesn't know her way around so if she's not by my car, she's basically a missing person. So, keep your fingers crossed!" She said jokingly, but still a little worried, and rushed out.

Monica found Alice crouched in front of her car, choking out silent sobs.

"Oh, honey! Are you alright?" Monica said instinctively which only made Alice remind her of Courtney, reminding her of home, then of Nathan.

"He's here." She sniffled, "He was just in arms reach but then he left. I was about to let him in, become a huge part of my life then he just left!"

Monica was stunned. She had no idea what to say or do, nor did she understand a thing that her new friend was trying to tell her. She cooed in her ear, trying to will her out of hysterics, "Why don't we go home? We can watch stupid movies about funny shit and eat ice cream all night! Class doesn't start till next week, anyways."

Alice let out a laugh, that sounded like a dying puppy to Monica when it's laced with the tears and sobs. Alice nodded slightly and let Monica lead her into the car and drive back.

Once Alice settled down Monica made them dinner since they never got theirs at the restaurant, then poked a comedy movie into the DVD player. Halfway through the movie, Alice started feeling bad. Monica was nice enough to let her cry on her shoulder, even though she had nothing to cry about, and she didn't even know what she was sad about.

"Monica?" Alice laid he head in Monica's lap, content at the moment.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks."

Monica gave Alice a smile, "Anytime."

"Back home," Alice started, "I knew this guy and he was simply adorable. I liked him, he liked me, it was all good. He asked me if I wanted to be his girlfriend but things weren't very good at school, so I told him not at that moment. After a little bit, I was ready to take him in with open arms that summer. Luckily for him, he got into his dream school, Oklahoma State, and they wanted him there over the summer, so I never really got to spend my time with him.

"And then a year or two later, I get a letter from this amazing school called the University of San Francisco telling me they accepted me, and then things just keep getting better. I'm roomed with this beautiful, and kind girl named Monica. She was nice, and pretty, and welcoming. She even showed me around the city, all her favourite hot spots.

"Then she showed me this great restaurant, but guess who happened to be there? That boy. And apparently, his new girlfriend was there too."

Monica combed my hair with her fingers, "Oh, honey, I'm so sorry. This is―"

Knock knock

"It's open!" Monica yelled, like she always did whenever the head of the dorm came by. They had keys but only used it for emergencies.

Nathan turned the knob slowly and peeked into the room, "Can I speak to Alice?"

Speak of the devil.
♠ ♠ ♠
Do you guys even read this?