‹ Prequel: In the Long Run

I'm Coming Home

004.

"I'll just leave you guys alone." Monica murmured, getting up, causing Alice's head to fall from her lap and hit the ground painfully. She apologized quickly then slipped out of the dorm.

Alice sighed, drilling holes into the ground with her eyes.

"Wow, you can't even look me in the eye." His voice was rusty and rough, as if he hadn't spoken in years.

"I'm sure your girlfriend stares in your eyes enough for the both of us." She muttered her pathetic, turning her gaze from the ground to his feet, which was covered over with high priced sneakers.

She watched as he shifted his weight from one foot to another, "Don't say that. I couldn't just wait forever. I never planned on growing old alone, wondering if you still thought about me! For all I knew you were happily dating Ray or something!"

"Ray?! Are you crazy?" She stopped short. She had no idea what to say but knew what she wanted, "Just leave. My future is planned. I study sciences, find a steady job, great boyfriends, get married and live a normal life. Just leave, there's no room for complications." She buried her face into her hands, still refusing to look him in the eyes.

"Alice"

"I have no idea what your doing in San Francisco, and I swear to god I didn't know, but please. Just leave me alone." She stressed.

Nathan waited to see if she was done but she didn't reply, so he decided to speak, "I was drafted by the 49ers."

Alice felt her heart break just a little more as she heard the door snap closed behind him. It wasn't long until Monica was back inside the room. Obviously she wasn't far outside but Alice didn't mind. Alice mused over what Nathan had said. He was drafted. A huge dream of his had come true. And she wasn't there to congratulate him. She couldn't. She couldn't see herself giving him a bear hug, and telling him she had faith the size of an elephant, that he'd be oh-so successful. After Monica briefly asked her if she was alright they went to bed.

"You know I'm always here for you." Alice heard Monica whisper, "We're roommates now. Like sisters."

"Thanks." Alice mumbled back, happy that a trustworthy girl was there for her. Unlike her brother when she would have problems back home.

Image

"Stop yelling!" Benny yelled, doubled over as he sat on the couch he crashed on. Nate was too tired to carry him all the way to his room so he just dumped him onto the velvet cushion.

Nathan gave him a confused look from "I didn't say anything. You're just hung over, bro. Take these," He threw him a pair of aspirins and a bottle of water.

"So how're you liking San Fran so far? I know I like it. Oklahoma was a dump compared to this place, plus Liz was telling me that-Oh yeah! Liz!" Benny exclaimed, suddenly getting off topic. But Nate was used to his crazy behavior, "Not sure if I told you but Liz saw he ex from back home last night. Oh man, she was freaking out! You know the story between them!"

Nate gave Ben his second confused look of the morning, "I have no idea what you're talking about." To Nate it sounded strangely like the his relationship with Alice.

Ben sat there for a minute, sorting out his thoughts, "No wait! It was you! You saw your ex. Yeah, that's what I wanted to say."

Nate let out a quiet sigh, "Just drop it. Plus Liz is coming and I doubt she wants to hear about some girl I almost dated back home."

"Yeah, and she's right here." Benny joked, opening the front door, revealing an unexpected Liz, about to knock, but is quickly covered once again with the door, Benny closing it without even looking. Nathan held in a chuckle but let Benny finish what he was saying, "You need to let loose!"

"Benny," Nate started as he went and opened the door for his girlfriend, "you need to drop it. It isn't important" He finished, giving Ben a look to not say a word about it now that Liz had arrived.

"What isn't important?" Liz threw her purse onto the kitchen counter and gave Nathan a peck on the lips, which he easily returned. "Morning."

"It's nothing." Nate told her, rubbing her back, knowing it would soothe her.

It also reminded him that he had a wonderful girlfriend that he couldn't just ignored her because a piece of the past appeared. If someone came out of nowhere and told him he was his real mom and that he was adopted, he wouldn't stop loving his mother. So maybe it was a different situation, one where he was allowed to love both, but he just constantly told himself that there was a reason he started dating Liz. He loved her. Right?

Nate took a quick breath and smiled reassuring to his friend and girlfriend, but more to himself, "Let's hurry up, I'm gonna be late for practice."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'll have you know that (ppt) is short for a — because they don't save in my notepads. So if you see a (ppt), please tell me. I will change it ASAP. Thank babes.