‹ Prequel: In the Long Run

I'm Coming Home

005.

"Go! Go! Go!" Monica yelled.

Alice watch the game unfold. She was never really into soccer but she was open to the idea since it was such a big part of her life. Not only did she love to play and was hoping to go pro, but Alice thought she always talked earnestly about it, keeping her hopes low, but also her boyfriend was the soccer star of the school.

"Go Bulls!" Alice yelled awkwardly.

Her and Monica watched as the clock ticked down and hit zero. "Yeah! We won!" Monica screamed, jumping up and down.

Alice tried holding in her laughter but couldn't help it. Monica grabbed her wrist and led her to the field to introduce her to her boyfriend. Cheering and congratulating each other in the middle of the field was a group of sweat guys, and obviously Monica didn't mind.

"Babe!" A handsome guy with dark brown hair and tan skin, like Monica, said with an English accent. If Monica hadn't told Alice they were dating then she would've thought they were related.

"Congrats!" Monica chirped, jumping into his arms. Alice couldn't help but think about how overly dramatic that moment was. After their short makeout session, Monica quickly remembered Alice was standing there, "Oh! Henry, this is Alice. She's my new roommate."

"Ah, hello Alice. Nice to meet you." Henry stuck his hand out which Alice happily shook.

"Likewise."

"Oh! Monica! Wasn't that amazing?!" Another guy in the school's soccer uniform screamed, obviously still nulled by the victory. Alice was quickly enticed with his chisled face, sandy blonde hair, and toned body. It took a moment for him to notice her but when he did he gave her a charming smile. "Hi. I'm Jake. Jake Davis."

Alice chuckled, his charm a little amusing to her, "Hi Jake." She replied, refusing to give him her name. "Congratulations on the win." She smirked.

"Thanks. So, you're a friend of Monica's?"

"I hope so. I never had many friends back home. Most people hated me." She confessed with a smirk, almost tauntingly.

"Oh, I see. And you're from..?" He trailed, waiting for her to finish. He was trying his best to find out more and more about this pretty lady.

"I'm sure you've never heard about it." Alice said, waving her hand around, trying to keep things light.

"You can tell me more about it later. We're having a celebration dinner like we always do and I'm sure Monica would've invited you anyways but now you can sit next to me at my date. You don't wanna sit by Monica and Henry, all they do is snog all day." Jake joked, faking an English accent, making Alice laugh.

"I'll take you up on that offer." She said with a joking wink before he followed Henry into the locker rooms.

Monica sauntered over to Alice where she was watching Jake's retreating figure, "Jake Davis?" was all she said. When Alice didn't say anything in response, she kept going, "Be careful. He's not exactly my first choice for you. Not my first choice for anyone."

"I'll be careful. Plus I don't have any plans on going for anything serious. Or anything at all." Alice said, waving off the topic lightly.

"Whatever you say." Monica murmured, leading her to her car and to the restaurant where the boys would meet them.

Image

"Let's just make this quick." Nathan groaned, rubbing his face.

Liz had insisted that they go for dinner after his tiring practice but he only wanted to go home and sleep. So just like always-happy Liz did, she decided it was a great idea that they celebrate a practice full of yelling and screaming and working until everyone felt dead.

"I want the steak!" A voice yelled, along with a commotion and loud background voices.

Nate thought the voice was familiar, but not enough to pin point who it was. He glanced over his shoulder to see that girl. He couldn't remember her name, it was Alice's friend. The one that was at the bar the other night. She was latched onto an athletic looking guy with shaggy brown hair and dimples. They were both laughing at the person stand in front of them, whose back was to Nate.

"They're so loud!" Liz complained, glaring at the large group, "Oh! Isn't that the girl that Benny met at the bar?" Liz glanced past Nate.

"Mhm?" Nate murmured. He glanced back over his shoulder to see instead of one, there was two of them facing him this time. Alice was admiring the area with her observant eyes. He quickly turned back to Liz, "Let's just finish this so we can head home. I feel like collapsing." He half lied.

"Where's the bathroom?" Alice asked Jake. He pointed to one of the openings in the corner that led to the washroom. Alice thanked him and headed that way to wash her hands.

One the way her hip accidentally bumped into a guy's shoulder, causing her to almost lose balance. She quickly regained her balance and straightened herself out. "I'm so sorry!" She exclaimed, to the guy.

Nathan leaned on his hand by his elbow, facing the other way. He forced himself to avoid eye contact, trying to use the fact that his girlfriend was sitting right across from him, as a good reason he was bring so rude. "It's okay." He mumbled loud enough for Alice to hear.

"Are you okay? Did I hurt you real bad? I'm sorry!" Her voice was concerned.

"Hon?" Liz grasped Nate's arm, suddenly concerned as well, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine." He murmured again.

"Hon,"

"I said I'm fine." He let his arm down, his voice a little more sturdy and harsh.

Alice stiffened, "Ah shit. Okay.." She said awkwardly and finished her route to the bathroom.

"I wonder what's up with her," Liz said before sticking a fork full of her salad in her mouth.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm back (: