The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

Don't Be Puttin' Down My Barbara!

"Really? You're a fan of Barbara Streisand?" I was half questioning and half teasing.

"Yes, I am! What is wrong with being a fan of Barbara Streisand?" He said defensively.

"Nothing, I just didn't know that anyone under the age of fifty was actually a fan." He gave me a playful offended look.

"Now, don't be too quick to judge. Everyone has their guilty pleasures. What's your musical guilty pleasure?" He asked trying to justify his musical choice.

"I have no guilty pleasure. I am not ashamed of anything that I listen to." I stated with confidence.

He shook his head, "That means you must have a horrible taste in music."

"Hey!" I said as he started to laugh.

Ever since we left the old towing company, he started asking me questions. Questions like, what's your favorite food, color, things to do in spare time, and now we were on the topic of music. It was obvious that he loved music. His whole face lit up when he started talking about all the things he likes about it. It was nice to see someone so passionate about something.

It's been an interesting ride so far.

At first, I was really cautious about getting in his car. I've heard enough horror stories in my life to know that I shouldn't get into a car with a complete stranger in a place that I've never been to before. But, I really didn't have any other choice. He seems genuinely nice, so I hope he stays that way. I mean, he did offer to drive me to the next town to find a tow truck. I don't think there is someone I know back home that would do that, never mind a stranger. I thought chivalry was dead. I guess it's not dead in Ireland.

I did feel bad about having him driving me though. I don't like having to let people help me. I like to be able to handle everything on my own.

Now, I have no idea how long we've been in his car, but it was a lot more at ease. It wasn't so awkward anymore. It kind of felt like we were old friends catching up on each other's lives. I don't know how to describe it. It was unlike anything I've ever experienced with another person before. I felt like there was a connection. Like maybe everything that happened, had happened for a reason. Even though I had no idea where I was, I knew that I was supposed to be right here, in this car, with Keith.

"Oh, I'm just kiddin'. I'm sure ya have a great taste in music. What is your favorite type of music?" He said as he went to turn the volume on the radio down.

"I don't have a favorite. If it is good, then I'll listen to it." That was true. I really like all kinds of music. He shot me a disapproving look.

"Hmm, alright. You turn through the radio stations, and stop on one that you would normally stop on." He said as he turned the volume back up.

"Okay." I said as I reached over to find a station. I had gone through a few that I didn't really like. One was Britney Spears, another was Celine Dion, a lot of them had too much static to really hear the song. I finally found one that I didn't mind. It had just started. I like the song, it's definitely overplayed, but it's a classic.

"I love this song!" He said as he turned it up louder and started to sing/yell out the words.

Just a small town girl, livin' in a lonely world
She took the midnight train going anywhere


"Come on, Colleen sing with me!" he yelled quickly before the next part.
I joined in.

Just a city boy, born and raised in south Detroit
He took the midnight train goin' anywhere


He tried playing air guitar while driving, the car swerved along to the music.

A singer in a smoky room, a smell of wine and cheap perfume
For a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers waiting up and down the boulevard
Their shadows searching in the night
Street lights, people living just to find emotion
Hiding somewhere in the night


This song was describing what we were going through perfectly.
Well, at least for me. I know that this was exactly how I felt.
Keith seemed to really get into the next part.
He started singing it like he was the one who wrote it.

Working hard to get my fill,
Everybody wants a thrill
Payin' anything to roll the dice,
Just one more time
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on


After singing that I realized how glad I was to not be back at home where everyone had huge expectations for me and how everyone wanted something from me. I was truly happy to be lost. I was happy to be right where I was.
I let myself get completely lost into the hype of the song. Keith was just as into it as I was. We both sang the rest of it on the top of our lungs.

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Street lights, people

Don't stop believin'
Hold on
Street lights, people

Don't stop believin'
Hold on to that feelin'
Street lights, people...


The song faded away as we both caught our breath.

"Wow," Keith started, "That was amazin'."
"I know. I feel so much better now." I said truthfully.
"Yeah, I know what you mean." he said as he turned the radio off.

"You have a good voice." He smiled at me.
"What? I was screaming the whole thing." I said exasperatingly.
He chuckled, "Well, I think it all sounded great."
"Haha, yeah sure. I sound like a frog. Which is almost as amazing as Barbara Streisand."
"Hey! Don't be puttin' down my Barbara!" He said as he shook his finger at me.
We both just laughed as he drove on.

A comfortable silence fell over us. I just sat back and enjoyed the scenery. Ireland is very beautiful. The sun is starting to set and the sky looks gorgeous. Although, that made me realize that, I had no idea where we were and we had been driving for a long time now.
I decided to figure out what was going on.

"Hey, so how far away is the next town. I know you said it would be a while, but this is really far."
Keith seemed to realize how long we were driving.
"Whoa, I've drove past that town about forty-five minutes ago. I guess I just lost track of time. I am sorry. Let me figure out where we are." He said as he reached into his glove compartment to get a map.
He pulled over so he could read it. I sat there patiently waiting.

After a few short moments he cleared his throat.
"Alright, this is where I thought we were. I have been driving for an hour and a half, which means Dublin is a little under two hours away." He said that as he looked over at his clock. It was 5:45pm.
"Oh my gosh, you have driven me so far. I am more than grateful. Honestly, I would be fine with getting out here. There is a gas station across the road and I'm sure I can find my way back from there. I can call my friend from a pay phone and it'll be fine.

He looked kind of sad as I said that.
"If that is what you really want me to do, I will. But I have a buddy who lives in Dublin. And I've been meaning to get down there to visit him. I could use this drive as an excuse." He stated it like it was the cure for cancer.
"I can't let you do that. Thank you, but it is way too far."
"No, I insist. I really have been meaning to get down to Dublin. I've made up my mind. I am going to visit my buddy. You don't have to come with me if you don't want to, but this car is driving to Dublin." He stated as he put the car in drive and pulled back on to the road before I could even answer.
"Well, I guess I don't really have a choice. Thank you for..." He cut me off.
"No more thank you's. It's all just fine. Why don't you tell me about what goes on back at your home in Connecticut. Do you have a job there?" He cut me off and then changed subjects. It took me a minute to get my mind to catch up, but I decided to tell him a little anyway.

"Well, I work as a swimming instructor. I've had that job since I was a teenager. It just sort of worked out. I didn't even have to apply for it. It is a good job, and I have a good boss. But, I am happy to be away from it for a while."
"Aw, nice! That sounds like good craic. I love to be in the water too." I was confused. Did he say something about crack?
"Um, sorry. What did you call it? Did you say good crack?" I stated a little shocked and hoping I had heard him wrong.
He laughed,"Sorry, I did say craic, but it doesn't mean what you think it means. In Ireland craic means fun." He continued laughing.
"Oh, okay." I laughed a little, but I didn't find it nearly as funny as he did. I decided to go back to what we were talking about.

"So you said you love the water. Do you like to swim?" I asked.
"Yeah, I do. But I love surfing. That's actually what I was doing today. The road you were on leads down to a beach. That's a spot I found a long time ago. No one ever goes there. It's where I go when I want to surf. Do you surf?"
I laughed out loud.

"Haha, no. I don't surf. I can barely walk straight. Never mind trying to balance on a board in the water."

"It just takes some practice. I bet you'd be good if you tried it."

"Well maybe, but I'll probably never try it."

"You don't know what you're missing." He said as he shook his head

"You're probably right. So what do you do out here in Ireland?" I wanted to change the subject.
He made a strange face. I could tell that he didn't really want to talk about it.

"Well, I'm actually taking a little break right now, but I um, I work with music." He said simply as he looked up to the sky.
I followed his gaze up.
The sky was completely clear. It had stopped raining about an hour ago. And every cloud was gone. The stars were so bright.
"Wow, look at that." He said as he pointed up to the sky.
"It's beautiful." The moon was full and the light that was gleaming off of it was making the road glow.
"Yes it is." Right as he said that a shooting star zoomed through the sky.
"Did you see that?" We both said excitedly at the same time.
We looked at each other and laughed.
"I guess you did see it." He said as he looked back down at the road.
I responded with an mmhmm as I looked out my window.

We had been going for an hour now, so we had a little less than an hour left. I suddenly was overcome with the realization that he would be dropping me off and that would be it. I would probably never see him again. It made me feel a little sick to my stomach. We hadn't really spent too much time together, but in the time that we did spend together, I felt like there was something about him that had connected me to him. Like something had made everything happen so that we would meet up. But, it would all be over in less than an hour. I sighed as I looked over at him. The moon was lighting up his face. It was a beautiful sight. I was glued to the way his features were outlined by the moon. I guess I had been staring for longer than I thought because he turned toward me and said, "Is there something on my face?" He leaned forward and looked at himself in the rear view mirror.
I shook out of the trance like state I had been in. "Huh, uh no. There's nothing on your face. I was just um. I spaced out. Sorry." I rambled as I turned away from him and leaned my head against the window.
He seemed to shrug it off and turn his attention back to the road.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks again to CTHarkinGal29 and hockeychick37 for your comments!
Please continue to comment/subscribe!
<3