The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

Abandoned Car

I woke up in the morning feeling more groggy than I ever have before. My memory kicked in and I quickly looked around the room to see who was there. Both Sara and Keith were gone. There was a note on the night stand next to my bed. I sat up and grabbed it.

Colleen and Sara,
Thank you ladies for letting me stay the night. I woke up early and decided to get on the road back home.
Sara, I am sorry for making you think that I was a creepy stalker.
Colleen, even though yesterday was very out of the ordinary, it is a day that I will never forget. Try to be more careful when you drive :)
I hope to see you again.
- Keith

I felt sad and happy at the same time.
Sad because Keith was gone and I didn't really get to say goodbye. I know that I only knew him for a few short hours, but I felt so connected with him.
And happy because Keith said the day he spent with me was a day that he will never forget. I totally agree.
It was something that was so out of the ordinary that it is hard to think was real, but it was real. Yesterday was a crazy day.
I laid in my bed for a few moments thinking about yesterday, but I didn't get to think for too long because the phone rang.
I slid myself into a sitting position and reached over to grab the phone.

"Hello?"

"Mornin' girl! Did I wake you?" It was Sara.

"No, I was already awake." I said reassuring her.

"Aw, that stinks. I was hoping that'd I call early enough to wake you up. I wanted to sing you my 'Good Morning, Get Up' song." I squinted my eyes and scrunched my nose as she mentioned her song.

"Good to know. I'll make sure to leave the phone off of the hook."

"Fun sucker." Sara teased.

"Yeah, whatever. So, did you call just to wake me up or did you have another reason? Because I don't want to be the reason that your boss yells at you for not participating in the conference." I said while rubbing the sleep from my eyes.

"Wow, mom. I didn't realize you had to keep such tabs on what I was doing. For you information, I am on a break in between sessions now, so lay off. I was just calling you to remind you to do something about the rental car that you abandoned in the middle of nowhere Ireland." Sara retorted with just as much sass as I gave her.

"Haha, alright sorry. You're right. I'll get going and do something about the car and I'll leave you alone to get back to your conference."

"Well, good! Be safe, okay? And please, don't bring back anymore beach bums!" Sara said laughing.

"Alright I'll try, but I'm not making any promises."

"Oh goodness, just be safe. I gotta go." I could hear a lot of noise in the background. There must have been a lot of people coming back to the conference.

"Ok, have fun!"

"Thanks, you too!" Sara replied as she hung up the phone.

I hung up my phone and made the bed. I scrounged around looking over everything in the room.
It dawned on me that it is possible that Keith was some kind of criminal that could have taken some of our things.
I was making sure that everything was there. I know it is silly to think that Keith might have taken something, especially after all that he did for mee but I really don't know him that well. He could be the world's most wanted thief or something.

I looked around knowing that everything would be there, I just knew that I had to check anyway. Of course, nothing was missing.

I got dressed and called a tow truck to take me to find the lost rental car.

********

As the truck drove me around Ireland, I mentally scolded myself for displaying such stupidity that I would have to pay a ridiculously high fare to the tow truck driver to bring me and a tire out to the middle of nowhere.

Before I left the hotel with the tow truck, I went to the nearest gas station, which the lady behind the front desk at the hotel called a petrol station. I bought a new tire that would hopefully fit the rental. I had to look up the size of the tire online.

So now I am in another awkward car ride to the middle of nowhere with a complete stranger. It was a little all too familiar. Except that this car ride was going to cost me.

The truck had a fare meter in it, like a taxi. I could see the fare rising to an un-godly amount.

But the good news was as we drove I started to remember the events from the day before. It was such a strange yet excitingly beautiful day. A budding disaster turned into an experience that was unforgettable.

I was lost in thought as my eyes spotted the familiar old dirt road.Finally

"There is the road on up on the right!" I stated as the truck driver nodded and turned down.

We found the car and it looked like it had seen better days. It was definitely going to need to be washed.

"€250." Said the driver.

I cringed when I heard the price and I handed him the cash.

As I handed him the money with a little extra for a tip I realized that the money I had saved for the summer was not going to get me as far as I thought.

"Thank you for driving all the way out here!"

"Mmhmm" was all the driver said as I got out.

He hoped out and grabbed a few tools and brought them over to the car.

In less than five minutes he had the new tire on and the old tire in the trunk.

He loaded his car back up with his tools and waved as he got in.

"Bye." I said as he shut the door and backed away and out of sight.

"He could have at least waited to see if the car would start." I mumbled to myself as I walked over to get into the driver's seat. I guess Keith's actions were more rare than I thought. He actually cared about my safety. The tow truck driver couldn't wait to get away from me.

I put the keys in the ignition. It took a few tries, but I finally got it started.

I was hoping I could follow the two truck, but he sped away before I had a chance.

I sighed as I drove back to Dublin. This time, I was all alone.