The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

At The Pub

We walked in and immediately I was overwhelmed by the smell.
It was not what I was expecting. It was a perfume like smell. More like incense. I liked it.
There were a lot of people there. The bar was so crowded and it looked like there were no booths or tables open.

The dim lighting and the deep red walls gave the pub a soothing yet luring atmosphere.
Sara grabbed my arm while mumbling a "follow me."
She dragged me through the crowd towards the back of the pub. In the corner there was an empty booth.
We immediately sat down to claim the territory as ours.

"Do you want anything to drink?" Sara asked.
I looked towards her. She had this smile on her face like she was the owner of the pub. She was so excited.
I smiled back.
"Yeah, just an ice water for me."
Sara nodded as she stood up.
"Alright, you stay here. I'll get us some drinks. Don't get into any trouble while I'm gone." She said as she walked away.
I didn't have time to respond before she disappeared into crowd.

I looked around to take in more of the scene.
Most of the people seemed to be having a good time, and most of them seemed to be sober. That surprised me.

I hate going to bars back home because of all the drunk people loosing all of their self-control, but that was not the case here.
People were drinking, but not to get drunk. At least that's what it looked like.

I saw Sara pushing her way through the crowd trying not to spill the drinks. She made it back to the table in one piece.
"Here we go." She said as she placed my drink in front of me and then sat down across from me to enjoy hers.
She had a pink drink with an umbrella in it.

As we drank she started telling me all of the different things they do at the pub.
Sometimes they have poker nights, other times there are pool competitions.
"The thing that attracts the most people isn't the games, it's the music." Sara said as she took another sip.
"That's why there are so many people here. A band is going to play tonight."
I nodded in understanding.

"Do famous bands play or just local bands?" I asked.
"Both, but the owner is very particular when he chooses who will play. It doesn't matter how famous they are because all the bands have to audition. If he doesn't like them, then they don't play."

I was surprised. "Wow, sounds a little over the top."
Sara shrugged. "Maybe, but he knows how to pick them. I've never been disappointed when I've come here. The bands are always really good."
"Does he only pick bands or do solo acts get picked too?" I asked,

Sara opened her mouth to answer but as she opened her mouth the lights went down and a man stepped onto the stage. We were sitting off to the right side of the stage. I hadn't even noticed that there was a stage until this moment. The stage lights got brighter and a tall man with dark hair walked up to the microphone stand.

He tapped it a couple times before he talked sending low thuds through the speakers indicating that the microphone was turned on.

"Happy Friday, everybody! My name's Charles and I am very excited to introduce to you our musical guest for this evening." He kept talking, but Sara started talking.

"That is the owner. He has such a good taste in music!" She said a little too excited. I was suspicious as to why she reacted that way, but before I could say anything the man was gone and the stage lights went off. The whole room started clapping and cheering. He must have announced who was going to play, but I missed it while Sara was talking to me.

The lights went back up and there was only one guy on the stage. I guess that answers my question about the solo acts. The guy was holding a guitar and was looking down at it, obviously tuning it. He was wearing a black fedora-looking hat. I could see the ends of his blonde hair poking through the bottom of the hat. He must have been satisfied with his tuning because he looked up at the crowd with a big smile. I was shocked when I recognized him. My eyes widened a little and my jaw fell open slightly. But before I could say anything Sara started repeatedly tapping my hand that was resting on the table.

"It's that, that guy. Remember from Ireland?" I just nodded my head.
"He's a musician." We both said at the same time. I didn't take my eyes off of him.
"Good Evenin' everyone. How's yar night going so far?" His irish accent rang through the speakers.
A chorus of pleasant responses waved through the crowd.
"Good to hear. Well, my name's Keith, and I'm gonna play a few songs for ya tonight." He said as he began to strum his guitar.

I was mesmerized by his music. It was like I was lost to reality and was sucked into this world of his notes and melodies. I know that sounds crazy but that is the only way to describe what I felt like when he played. I literally had no idea what was going on around me. There could have been fireworks and gang fights but I don't think it would drag my attention away. I was in awe.
I felt myself move and I realized I was moving closer to Keith. I snapped back into reality and looked to see that I was being dragged closer to the stage by Sara. People had made their way over to the stage and were now crowding the stage. They were all either tapping their feet or moving their heads to the beat.

"Maybe he'll recognize you." Sara said in my ear as she tried to push closer to the stage. I grabbed her and pulled her back to the middle of the crowd.
"This is fine right here." I said suddenly feeling nervous.
"Suit yourself" She said as she started swaying to the beat.
He ended his first song and the entire room cheered.
"Thanks. Thanks so much."
He played a few more songs and had completely won over the crowd. He was funny and so talented.
"It's time for my last one for the night."
He said as he leaned down to pick up his capo.

"This one I wrote after a very unusual experience I had. If I told you the whole story you'd never believe me, but I'll tell you a little bit." He said as he took a swig of water.
He cleared his throat and laid his arms to rest on his guitar.

"I had been on the road touring with Celtic Thunder for months," a few cheers came from the crowd, I had no idea what that meant "and when I finally got back home in Ireland I took a day and went very early to the beach to surf. I love surfing, it helps me relax and clear my mind." he explained.

"Well, I was forced to leave a bit earlier than what I had planned because of some bad weather, but it ended up being for the best. You see, I surf at this small beach in the middle of nowhere. There is usually no one around for miles. But this day, on my drive back, there was a girl with car trouble and she needed a lift. So, I gave her a ride that turned into a three hour ride. Not because I got lost, but because we talked and lost track of time. This girl was like none I have ever met before. It was like she woke me up from a daze that I didn't realize I was in."

Sara began jabbing me in the side with her elbow.
I moved to make her stop and I turned my attention back to Keith.
"We went our separate ways and I doubt I will ever see her again. And I wish I had tried harder to further our relationship. But, I chickened out. And I wrote this next song about how I missed an opportunity and have to live with never seeing what could have been." He moved his hands to begin to play his guitar.
"This one is called Lauren and I."
"What?" I said out loud.

I was so confused. He remembered our experience, but I didn't realize that he had been so nice to me because he wanted to get to know me better. I had so many questions running through my head.
I replayed that day over in my head while he sang.

So see the leaves fall to the ground

And see them lying all around

Cause still I can't see you

And there's a wind that plays in the air

Flying around how it does not care

Cause still I can't see you

And the seasons pass away
And I still sit here lonely each and everyday

Wonderin' what's gone wrong

Cause I don't remember seasons lasting oh so long

Oh so long

And I still can't see you

I'm dreaming every night, I'm searching everyday

And I still can't see you

I had her in my sights, I let her slip away

And I still can't see you

Lauren and I

Lauren and I

And there's the stars way in the sky

Leading my way I don't know where or why

Still I can't see you
And when my back's against the wall

I see a reason for it all

But still I can't see you

And I still can't see you

I'm dreaming every night, I'm searching everyday

And I still can't see you

I had her in my sights, I let her slip away

And I still can't see you

Lauren and I

Lauren and I

Lauren and I

Lauren and I


He kept his eyes glued to the back wall while he sang. He seemed so sad.
The crowd clapped it's approval of the song.
"Thank you everyone. I'll be out by the bar in a little bit and I'd love to meet you all!"

Sara leaned close to talk directly in my ear.
"Girl, that boy is crazy about you. I bet he changed your name in that to protect your identity." She said as she gave me a one armed side ways hug.

I rolled my eyes, but I didn't say anything. I was just trying to process the whole thing.
The crowd had quieted down and started to head back either to the bar or to their booths.

I was so nervous. I remembered how much we connected that day and it made me nervous. I wouldn't know what to say to him.

The space by the stage was almost clear but I hadn't moved. Keith was still on the stage but he was cleaning up his gear. I was about to turn and walk back to our booth to think about what to say when Sara yelled out, "Keith, she's right here!" She grabbed my arm and raised it in the air.
I quickly put my arm down and scowled at Sara. Everyone in the room had turned their attention towards us. Even Keith.

I looked up and our eyes met. His eyes widened as they shifted back and forth between Sara and I.
He finally stopped shifting and just stared right me. Slowly his faced changed from shock into a huge smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
There should be more uploads coming because I have most of this story figured out.
Thanks to all those who have been faithfully reading.
And for those who are just starting to read please Comment/Subscribe
much love <3
c: