The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

A Less Typical Tuesday

I woke up to the sound of the garbage truck.I could hear the garbage cans being tossed around. I kept my eyes closed wishing to go back to sleep. The continuous buzzing of my phone made me get up anyway. I rolled over and grabbed my phone off of my night stand. 3 missed calls and 2 new texts.

I opened my phone to see who was trying to get a hold of me. It was Sara. I have known Sara since I was born. She is a few years older than me, but we've always gotten along really well. She is the adventurer and I am the one with common sense. We balance each other out. I would call her the closest thing I have ever had to a best friend. I read the texts before I call her.

8:03am - Are you awake yet?

I am now! I thought as I scrolled to the last text.

8:15am - Interested in moving to Scotland???

WHAT!? I yelled out loud. I didn't even wait a second, I dialed her number.
As soon as I heard the phone answer I blurted out, "Are you crazy?"
Sara just laughed, "Maybe a little, but that is what keeps me going. I'm guessing you read my text."
"Uh, yeah! Why would I move to Scotland?" I asked wondering what she was up to.

Sara has been trying to get me to move out of Connecticut since I graduated high school. She gave me an application to schools all around the country. Even one to a school in Australia.
I heard her clear her throat, "Because, I am moving there." She said with a serious tone that I've only heard from her when she is completely serious.

I was shocked.
"Seriously?" I knew that she just traveled all around Europe for a month, but I didn't realize that she would want to move there.
"Yes, I am moving to Scotland. I know that it may sound sudden, but I have thought about it for a while now, and I completely fell in love with the country. And well, I am going to need a roommate. Are you interested?" She asked like it was no big deal.

"Sara, I can't move to Scotland. I have so much going on here that I am obligated to take care of and" Sara interrupted, "You hate everything you do here. And even if you loved it, don't you think it is time you spread your wings a little. I mean you are too responsible if I can say so myself."

I laughed at how straight forward she was, "First of all, there is no such thing as too responsible and second, my life is here. Everything I am is here. I wouldn't know what to do with myself, and I would be worried about everything here. I am sorry, but I can't do it." I said while thinking about all of the things that would be neglected if I left.
"You know Colleen, the world will still spin even if you are not in Connecticut." I sighed.
"I know that. I just, well, I just can't." I said matter-of-factly.

She laughed, "I knew you would say no. Don't worry about it. I wouldn't want you to up-root and move across the world if it was not something you wanted to do. Would you be willing to help me pack things up and sell the rest of it?"

I was unsure of how I felt now. I was kind of relieved and kind of intrigued. I couldn't leave. I knew that, but the thought of me leaving made me a little excited. But I just knew that even if I was meant to leave, that it was just not time yet.

"Of course! I'll help you in every way that I can. Although, I am going to miss you like crazy!" I said a little happier with my decision to stay.
"I know! I am going to miss you so much. But, you can come visit, and I'll travel back to the states every once in a while."

We talked for a little while longer, while we made plans for me to go over to her place and help her start packing stuff up.
This all felt right. I knew I was going to miss her, but I also knew that it was right for her.
I hung up the phone and got myself ready for a less typical Tuesday.