The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

Time to Talk to the Boss

I am so nervous. Today is the day that I am asking my boss to give me one whole month off. I have been saving up my paychecks for years now, and Sara has been trying to get me to come visit her ever since she left six months ago. She convinced me to take a month off.
To say the least, I needed a vacation. I wanted something to be excited about.

I walked into my boss's office. Chris was on the phone but smiled at me while motioning for me to sit down. I smiled back and made my way to the seat. He was on the phone for less than a minute before he hung up.

"Sorry about that Colleen, It was my wife. My youngest son stuck a piece of corn up his nose and she is having a hard time getting it out." He said as he shook his head. His son is known for sticking things up his nose. He once stuck a jelly bean up his nose at an Easter party and had to go the the ER. Everyone at the party went to the ER too. They figured it was a family day, so why not do everything together. The ER didn't like it very much though. 45 people in the waiting room can get a little crazy.

I laughed but did not reply. He was obviously thinking about a million things as he marked a few papers and moved some things around his desk. After a moment or two he cleared everything away and focused his attention on me.

"So, how's a going?" Chris asked. He folded his hands on his desk and smiled.

"Everything is going good. How about you?"

"Eh, things are really busy but they're good. You know how it gets when it's summer time."

I nodded, "Yeah, it can get pretty crazy around here." I was getting a little more nervous now because I knew how much of an inconvenience it would be for my boss if I left for a whole month, especially in the summer time.

"Yeah it does." He paused for a second. "So, what can I help you with."

I cleared my throat and took a quick breath.
"Well, I have been planning to go on a vacation for quite some time now and I've decided to do it for this summer." I said knowing that he was not going to be happy about it.

"You have?" he asked surprised.

"Um, yeah" I replied with little confidence. I was starting to rethink my decision.

He looked me in the eyes and smiled.
"I am so happy to hear that." I was not expecting that.

"Huh?" was all I could say.
He chuckled to himself, "I am happy for you. I know how hard you've been working and how worn out you've been getting. You've needed to take a vacation for 2 years."
I couldn't believe what I was hearing.

"When do you want the time off for?" He asked as he reached for his calendar to write it down.

If he was serious about how happy he was for me, that was about to change when I tell him for how long I was going to be gone.
"Well, I was planning to go visit my friend in Scotland for" I paused, "a month. The middle of June to the middle of July." I looked at the ground knowing that he was going to disapprove.

He didn't say anything right away. So I looked up expecting to see his eyes bulging out of his head.
Instead he just looked like he was thinking.

It was probably 30 seconds of silence from him and it was killing me. He just kept thinking and didn't say a word. Finally he broke out of it and looked at me.

"Well, if you want a month off it would be hard fit you back in for the last half of the summer. You know, July through August. So, why don't you just take this summer off. I'll be able to manage a summer here and there will be a place for you when you come back in the Fall."

I waited for him to laugh and say GOTCHA! But that didn't happen. He just smiled again.

"Seriously?" It was like he wanted me to leave.
He smiled a little wider. "Yes. You have been such a faithful employee. And you've been working her for a while now. It would be nice for you to get away from this place for a while. And even if you don't stay in Scotland for the whole summer, you can enjoy it here like a normal 22 year old." He smiled one last time before looking down at his calendar and marking off the time I would be away.

I was kind of in awe of what had just taken place. I guess it pays off to be responsible.
He gave me his official approval form and then I left.
I stared at the form as I walked out to my car.
I had the whole summer off...
♠ ♠ ♠
I promise Keith is coming soon. Within the next couple of chapters. It is taking a little longer to set it up to the point where he comes in, but it will be worth it!

PLEASE comment/subscribe.
I would love to hear from you!