The Stars Way Up In The Sky Are Leading My Way And I Don't Know Where Or Why

Riding in a Car with a Boy

Keith's POV

As we shook hands, she smiled and it was beautiful. It felt like something new. A new beginning. I don't know anything about this girl, but I was captivated by her smile and I wanted to know more about her.

I nodded and replied, "No problem." And we were on our way.

I drove slower than I probably should have, but I didn't want to go into another accident.

I knew that we only had a short ride but I wanted to know more about her. She was already nervous so I didn't want to make her more uncomfortable, but I wanted to talk to her, so I started with something obvious.

"So, you're accent, is it American?" I asked hoping to start a conversation.

She seemed startled by the question.

"Uh, yeah. I'm from the U.S."

"Nice, I love the states. I've been there a few times now. What parts are ya from?"

"Um, I'm from Connecticut. It's a small state." She seemed like she might not want to talk about it, but I thought I'd go a little more.

"I've been there. It's a nice place." I smiled hoping that would bring me some help. She looked over and smiled back. Even though she was clearly a mess, her smile brightened her countenance.

"So, what brings ya way out here?"

The smile that she wore faded away and she looked miserable again.

"I just wanted a change of scenery for a little while, but all of this wasn't really what I had in mind." She said as she turned to the window.

"I can imagine that is not what you wanted. That's no good. Hopefully your time here will get better."

She turned back towards me.

"Thanks" she gave me a half smile and turned back to look out the window.

We were almost to the towing company and I knew that I only had a little more time. But I decided that I wouldn't question her further. I turned the radio on softly so that it wouldn't be silent the rest of the way. The music seemed to make her more relaxed.

A few minutes later we pulled into an empty parking lot. I was confused because I thought that it was a well known towing company.

"Is this where the tow truck is?" Colleen asked.

"Um, this is where I thought it was." I said as I drove up to the old garage. I saw that there was a sign on the door.

"I'm going to go read that, you can wait here." I said as I pointed to the sign and hopped out.

I quickly shuffled through the rain and made my way over to read the sign.

Gone Out of Business
Thank you for allowing us to serve here for 27 years


What? I couldn't believe that they had gone out of business. I'm not really sure what to do now.

I ran quickly to the car to tell Colleen.

"What does it say?" She asked as I shut the door.

I wiped the rain off of my face before I answered.

"It says that they have gone out of business. It's so strange. That last time I drove by here I could have sworn that they were still in business. I'm sorry." I was sorry. I didn't really know what to do.

Colleen audibly sighed as she hung her head. "Of course" I heard her say under her breath.
She lifted her head up and turned toward me.

"Well, thanks anyway. I'll try calling my friend back at the hotel to see if there is anything that can be done from there." She said as she reached into her pocket and pulled out a cell phone.

"What hotel are you staying at?" I asked as she struggled to turn her phone on.

"I'm staying at Cassidy's Hotel in Dublin" She answered while being very frustrated that she could not get her phone to work.

"DUBLIN? You're staying in Dublin! What are you doing all the way out here?" Maybe I heard her wrong. Because Dublin is three and a half hours away.

She tossed her phone in her lap and looked at me. "Yes I am staying in Dublin, and I decided to go out for a drive. I lost track of time and I didn't know where I was so I turned around and got a flat and now the battery on my phone is dead, so I have no idea how I am going to get out of this." She half yelled back at me.

I was taken aback by her sudden outburst. I didn't mean to make her upset, but I guess that she had a right to be upset.

We were both quiet.

I thought for a moment before I tried to respond, but she started to speak before I could say anything, "Look, I'm sorry. You've been nothing but helpful. I didn't mean to yell. I'm just sorry that all of this happened. I should have never left my home. I truly don't know what I am going to do."

"It's alright. I understand. That would make me upset too. I would let you borrow my phone, but I left it at home." I usually leave it at home so I can enjoy my time off and not worry about any business, but I guess that wasn't such a good idea for today.

She chuckled a little, "That's okay, I guess I just have bad luck."

I smiled, "Well, you've definitely not had the best luck I've ever seen."

She rolled her eyes, "Huh, tell me about it!" She said and then turned to me and smiled.

I responded automatically with a smile.

"Well, thank you for your help. I don't want to burden you any longer. I'm sure you have places to get to, so I'll get out here." She said as she began to open the door.

"Wait!" I said a little to fast and way too loud. She turned quickly back to look at me. I had obviously startled her with my tone.

"Um, yeah?" She said quietly.

"I can't leave you here. Let me at least drive you into the next town and we can try to find a tow truck there." I said trying to come up with a solution.
I could not leave her there, and I wanted to know her better. There was something about her that intrigued me.

"I couldn't ask you to do that. You have been more than helpful already. Thanks, but..." I cut her off.

"No, really. I don't mind at all. What kind of Irishmen would I be to leave a poor lost tourist alone at an abandoned car garage." I said jokingly.

She scrunched her nose as I descried her in this situation.

"I guess if you don't mind. I would be very grateful!." She said as she closed her door.

"Good! But, just so you know, the next town isn't for a while, so you better buckle your seat belt, sit back and enjoy the ride." I said as I pulled out of the garage.

I turned the radio up a little louder as we began our journey.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to CTHarkinGal89 and hockeychick37 for your comments.
I like the feedback!
Please continue to Comment and Subscribe!
Much Love <3