Status: A work in progress...

Soap Opera Past

Chapter 5

“What is it?” Paul growled.

“Emmett, what the hell are you doing?” Ember hissed as she jumped down from the tree. Emmett appeared from behind a tree, his eyes locked on the two boys behind her.

“Protecting you from the wolves,” Emmett snarled.

“That’s why you guys stink,” Ember chuckled.

“You don’t smell like a bouquet of roses either,” Paul chuckled. Emmett growled, pushing Ember away and pinning Paul to a tree.

“Emmett!” Ember hissed. Emmett tensed, the sweet sound of her voice filling his ears.

“Emmett,” Ember said in a much softer voice as she lay a hand on his shoulder. The muscles under her hand twitched. His head swung around to look at her. He moved so fast Ember couldn’t really see him. She found herself pinned to another tree. Emmett towering over her now. Ember’s face went blank, making sure that he didn’t know how much she enjoyed being close to him.

“Say it,” he growled.

“Say what?” Ember snarled. Emmett’s face hardened as he stared at her.

“You know you feel something for me too,” he snarled.

“Ember?” Seth asked.

“Yes?” Ember growled.

“Claire’s waiting for you,” he said as he held up a small silver cell phone.

“Goodbye Emmett,” Ember snarled and pushed him away. She followed Paul and Seth down the beach a little and they came up to a little house.

“Here we are,” Seth smiled. Ember stopped on the porch, her muscles tensed.

“We’re cool with the Cullen’s, it’s ok,” Paul offered. Ember heard Claire squeal with happiness from inside and smiled. She followed the two inside and the laughter that had filled the house a moment before disappeared.

“Ember!” Claire yelled and ran to Ember. Ember scooped Claire up and giggled as Claire clapped her hands.

“Hello little one,” Ember laughed. Quil chuckled and stood next to Ember.

“You guys are my mommy and daddy!” Claire joked. Ember could feel Quil’s embarrassment as he blushed.

“No we aren’t Claire, we’re your best friends,” Ember laughed as she tickled Claire. Claire laughed and Ember’s throat felt like it was on fire. She quickly passed Claire to Quil and slammed her back against the wall, her hand on her throat. Quil’s eyes widened in realization and took Claire into the other room. Ember let out a sigh of relief as the fire dulled a little.

“Are you okay?” A pretty woman with scars covering her face asked.

“Yeah, too much human in one day,” Ember chuckled nervously. A tall man walked into the door and kissed the woman on the cheek. He froze and sniffed the air. He looked over at Ember and snarled. Seth jumped up and stood in front of Ember.

“She’s Jasper’s sister Sam,” Seth explained.

“She has red eyes, and Claire is here,” Sam growled.

“She has great restraint Sam, when her will power was going down she passed her to Quil and got away,” the woman explained.

“I don’t harm the innocent,” Ember said when she felt Sam’s suspicion.

“Good, otherwise I’d have to kill you,” Sam snarled and stepped around Seth.

“You can try, but if you tried, I’d kill you first,” Ember snarled. Sam’s hand flashed out and smacked her. Ember let out a breathe as his hand connected with her cheek.

“Sam!” The woman yelled.

“Stay out of this Emily!” Same growled. He turned slightly to look at Emily. Ember threw out her fist and punched him in the stomach. He flew against the cabinets, breaking a few. Sam roared and flung himself at Ember. Ember nimbly jumped over him and watched him fly into the wall. Ember heard Claire crying and her chest constricted. Her eyes searched the wall that Ember knew Claire was behind. Sam pinned her to the floor, but all Ember could think about was seeing if Claire was ok.

“Now I have a reason to kill you,” Sam smirked.

“Ember!” Claire screamed as she ran into the room.

Everyone looked at Quil who ran into the room after her.

“Kill her and I’ll kill you, because killing Ember would break Claire’s heart, and Claire’s heart breaking will break mine,” Quil snarled. Ember looked up at Sam and smirked.

“You heard the man, let me up,” Ember hissed. Sam snarled and pushed off of Ember. Ember sat up as Claire ran towards her. Claire ran into her arms as Quil squatted next to her. A knock at the door startled everyone. Jasper ran into the room and Ember gasped.

“Jazz!” Ember smiled and ran into her brothers arms.

“Are you okay? Alice had a vision, and then Emmett said you came here,” he panted. He looked around the room and noticed the broken cabinets and a huge dent in the wall.

“What did you do to her?” Jasper asked, looking directly at Sam.

“It wasn’t his fault Jazz,” Ember lied.

“Liar,” Jasper snarled and launched himself at Sam. Ember tackled him to the ground and hovered over him, fangs bared, a growl erupting in her chest.

“Stop, no more fighting. Promise!” Ember snarled. Everyone in the room was silent as they watched the two.

“Promise,” Jasper snarled. Ember let Jasper up just as Alice and Emmett ran inside the room.

“No more leeches!” Same snarled. Ember hissed at him, her eyes glued to Emmett.

“What is he doing here?” Ember demanded.

“I’d never miss a good fight,” Emmett said, a sexy smirk appearing on his face. Ember stumbled a little, her knees giving out a little. Emmett’s smirk widened, knowing the effect he had on her.

“Come here,” Emmett smiled as he walked outside. Without looking at anyone Ember walked out after him. She walked into the woods and was instantly pinned to a tree. Emmett’s lips crashed to hers and his hands tangled in her hair. Ember kissed him back immediately, her body molding into his. Emmett groaned into her mouth as her hands ran down his chest. Ember growled as he tugged on her hair, exposing her neck. He bit it, not too hard, but hard enough to elicit a moan from her.

“Am I still a one night thing to you?” He growled. Ember ignored him and smashed their lips together again. Emmett pushed her against the tree roughly, his hands all over her.

“I love you,” he moaned. Ember froze, Emmett planting kisses on her face.

“What?” Ember asked as she pushed him away. Emmett smiled and leaned his forehead against hers.

“I love you.” His smile nearly melted all of Ember’s defenses. He held her hand, his fingers intertwining with hers. His lips touched hers in a light, sweet kiss, nothing like the passionate ones that they had shared before. Ember’s lips were frozen, unmoving.

“What’s wrong?” He asked, his brows furrowed.

“I can’t love you. I don’t love you,” Ember lied flawlessly.

“What?” Pain was evident in his voice. Ember sighed, her eyes on his toned chest. She fisted his shirt in her hands and she felt Emmett’s emotions spike. He was excited, but confused, pained, but in love, angry, but sad.

“I’m sorry,” Ember said and released his shirt. Ember ran, ran as fast as she could. She finally stopped in Salem, Oregon. She found a pay phone and put in the necessary money. She dialed the familiar number.

“Hello?” A deathly familiar voice asked.

“Aro, I’m ready to come home.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Two more chapters until Jake! Yay!