Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Flash Photography

Exordium.

“Tessa…do I really have to come?” I asked, but she was already throwing a cardigan on me and dragging me out my front door.

“Come on, Chace, please! You’ve never seen my boyfriend’s band play before, and this is their last homeshow before they go on their Pacific tour! I already bought your ticket, anyways; You should know by now there’s no arguing with me.”

“Yeah,” I sighed quietly, grudgingly getting into her car. We were at the venue in a matter of minutes. Tessa’s been dating this guy for a while now. I don’t really know him, which is fine. I know who he is from the way Tess talks about him. I try to respect their privacy and shit, you know?

But I didn’t want to go to this concert. I hated being around lots of people for prolonged periods of time. I wanted to stay home and just…

“Chace! Come on, put this on and we should get right to the front,” Tessa said as she slipped some lanyard with a card on it over my head. VIP passes and everything. Her boyfriend gave her the hookup.

We were let in earlier than everyone else, so Tess made sure we were situated right in front of the lead singer. I have no idea who was even playing tonight. I never bothered to look into her boyfriend’s band. I just never said no to Tessa, no matter what she was asking me. I’m such a good friend.

When the people started pouring in was when I about lost it. I guess I’m a little claustrophobic. These people just needed to back the fuck up. Tess never told me her boyfriend’s band was so popular. Everyone around me was talking about how excited they were for the show and what songs they hoped to hear, but I was just standing there like a statue. Tess was standing right beside me and everything, but she was busy clinging to the wall and texting her boyfriend.

I even put in my headphones, trying to block everyone out with some of my music…but that was impossible, especially as we got closer and closer to show time. It was kind of funny. The lights changed? Girls scream! Someone walks on stage to roll the drum set to the middle? Girls scream! The manager tapes down the setlist to the ground? Girls scream! Banners of the band’s name were placed on the stage? Girls scream! Oh. My. Fucking. God.

I guess they had good reason. When the band finally came onto the stage, you could see that they were all reasonably attractive young men and they were all reasonably talented as well. You could hear it in their music. This band…I’d have to check out their music later.

Tess was on the side where her boyfriend was. He was always smiling at her and reached out to grab her hand whenever he wasn’t playing the guitar. Tonight was the first night I’d seen him. I never expected Tess to be into his type, but seeing them together, I had no qualms about their relationship. I was happy for them.

There was a point in the concert where, even I had to raise my arms and clap along, even though I was blinded most of the time by the flashing cameras. Their music was infectious. I didn’t care that the lights were shining on us and I was wearing a tank top so you could see the scars on my arm. I didn’t care. For once in a really long time, I was enjoying myself at a concert. Which was shocking, considering…everything about me.

It was a bit unpleasant when we were shoved up against the wall because everyone was stretching forward to touch the lead singer when he reached out to the crowd…but, out of every hand he could have grabbed, he grabbed mine. And he saw my scars. And he did something that I will never forget. He pulled me up onto the stage, and gave me a hug.

Over everyone’s “AWW”s, I could perfectly hear it when he whispered into my ear, “Stop doing bad things, or at least try,” gesturing to my wrist for reference. I only managed to nod, which still made him smile. He had the security guards put me back in my spot for the rest of the set.

Music saves lives, and his changed mine forever.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading; hope you liked it!
inspired by this. jsyk, this prologue is set 2 years earlier than the story.
anyways, comment/subscribe! feedback would be lovely :3