Status: updates when inspiration and free time collide.

Flash Photography

Careful who it is you're talking to.

John.

When Kennedy woke me up, it was because Chace was missing. I was a little worried, but I did a good job of not showing it… by rolling over in my bed and taking my phone out to text Chace while everyone else left for breakfast in the lobby. Apparently, All Time Low had something special planned for today and we were all invited.

[where are you?]


I didn’t get a response, but when I called, Chace picked up on the third ring. “Hello?”

“Where have you been?” I asked, trying not to let the anger seep into my voice.

“Oh, I went for a run and then Zack and I grabbed some breakfast. We’re on our way back now.”

“Zack Merrick?”

“Yeah, why? Don’t tell me you’re jealous,” Chace laughed, and I couldn’t help but fall silent. Chace read me so easily…I wish I could do the same to him. “John, Zack just… gets me in a way that you don’t.”

I balked at Chace’s statement. “What’s that supposed to mean? Are you… what, are you dumping me for him or something?”

“No! God, no! Just… John, I’ve told Zack things I haven’t even told you. Zack knows more about me than you do. My relationship with Zack isn’t remotely like my relationship with you. I’m… I’m just trying to tell you that you have absolutely no reason to be jealous of Zack. No reason whatsoever.”

“You sound so convincing,” I deadpanned.

“This is a conversation I’d rather not have over the phone,” Chace said with a frustrated sigh. “Can you come down from the hotel room, please? We’re in the lobby now.”

Scowling, I hung up and got myself presentable before meeting Chace. I’d never fought over someone before, and if I did, I didn’t know how Chace would take it. Most girls would love being fought over, but Chace wasn’t a girl. I couldn’t help it, though – his delicate, feminine features brought out the overprotective asshole in me.

“G’morning,” I greeted him a little too happily when I saw him, and was just about pull him into a hug when I caught a whiff of him. “Oh, Jesus, Chace. You smell like you just got out of a mosh pit at Warped Tour.”

Chace smiled and simply shrugged, scooting over so I could sit behind him on the bench. “I told you, we went for a run… anyways, why this sudden jealousy? It’s cute, but knowing you, it’s going to escalate into annoying soon enough,” Chace muttered, glancing around before grabbing the collar of my shirt and pulling me down for a quick kiss.

“More,” I whined when he got up, reaching for his hand when he got to his feet, but not quite making it. “Dammit, Chace,” I said with a sigh, following him to the breakfast area but making sure to keep a safe distance. We all sat down with our fellow band members, discussing our plans for the day. Everyone wanted to go to this park or something, but I wasn’t really paying any attention because I had other plans in mind.

I was taking Chace to lunch.

I noticed Chace never ate much of anything and was super picky with all his food. Chace ate like a fucking bird, always just pecking at his food and never eating one thing in large amounts. I had the perfect place in mind, and he was coming with me whether he wanted to or not.

I went up to the hotel room again with Chace, complaining that he got his sweat all over me and I needed to change into clean clothes. I just waited for Chace to hop out of the shower so I could snatch him up and go. I was kind of hoping to see Chace shirtless at the very least, but he came out of the shower already dressed up – he always did.

“What are you still doing here?” he asked, drying his hair. When his hair was wet, it was a darker blonde and it was somewhat wavy. He pumped some hair product into his hands and working it into his roots, expertly and effortlessly creating that signature voluminous look of his. “Don’t laugh, my hair is a flat mess otherwise,” he said angrily when he saw my smirk.

“I wasn’t laughing!” I said defensively. “I’ve been waiting for you.”

“What, me? Why?” he asked, wiping his hands clean and tossing his towel onto a hook.

“I’m taking you on a date, Chace.” His face went completely blank at that point, his jaw going slack as well. “No excuses, alright? This is one of the few off days that we have, and I want us to spend it together.”

“We… We can do that,” Chace said with a nod, choking up a little bit before turning so his back was to me.

“What are you on about?” I asked curiously, wrapping my arms around his waist and trying to get a look at his face.

“Nothing, it’s just… I’ve never…”

“Been on a date with a guy?” I guessed, and Chace gently pulled my arms off him.

“No.” I suddenly felt super awkward. Maybe Chace has been gay longer than I have? Well, wait, that makes no sense… “But… it’s you,” Chace huffed. “John, you – you fucking... I’ll tell you later,” he muttered, walking towards the door. I hated when he pulled that shit. “Are you taking me out or not?” he asked with some forced laughter.

There was something Chace wasn’t telling me, and I didn’t know how to feel about that. I was kind of nervous, actually. I mean, why did he feel this need to hide things from me? “Is this some kind of a test?” I asked to break the silence of the elevator ride down to the lobby.

“What are you talking about?”

“This thing that you want to tell me later that you probably won’t tell me later,” I told him, playfully punching his arm. “Is it a test? Like, if I figure out what you’re not telling me, I pass? Is this, like, your boyfriend test or something?”

“Y…Yeah. Sure,” Chace said slowly, nodding to himself more and more vigorously.

“Fuck,” I laughed, walking to the restaurant. It was hard to get Chace to walk beside me instead of behind me. He would only walk beside me when I held his hand. I could tell he really liked the restaurant that I picked out, though.

I found this nice little tapas restaurant. All the portions were small and the food was extremely flavorful. Chace loved it. He gave me this adoring look that made me feel…just, warm and fuzzy inside. He tried everything on the menu. It was kind of weird to see him eat because he barely did. Plus, he really liked the food, so he made some pretty obscene noises, which in turn made some pretty dirty thoughts run through my head.

“So, this boyfriend test – do I get any hints at all?”

“No… any hints, and I’ll give it away completely, sorry.”

I frowned and chewed thoughtfully on my blue cheese with pickled cactus.

…This was going to be interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks for reading; hope you enjoyed it!
sorry i haven't updated in ages;
college is ruining my life and it hasn't even really started yet.
lol. as always, feedback would be lovely and greatly appreciated!