Status: new story that i happen to love the plot for.... comment/ subscribe if yo like :D

Ten Things I Love (to Hate) About You

Barely Missing

“Brent!” I called over the music. He looked up from the girl he was dancing with ad gave me a confused look. He wasn’t slammed yet, but he was definitely on his way there.

“I’m gonna leave, man. It’s getting late.” He glanced down, confused when he didn’t find a watch. I rolled my eyes, rolling my sleeve up to show him his Rolex. “Poker, remember?” he groaned. “shit. What time is it?”

“Almost midnight.”

“Alright then man. See you Monday.” I nodded, heading out to my corvette. I pulled out, going about 20 because it was raining so hard. I was on the up hill climb, about to turn on the road that would take me home, when something darted out in front of my headlights. I braked instinctively, spinning the car twice before it came to a stop on the opposite side of the road. I jumped out, realizing that it wasn’t a something that I had most likely hit, but a someone. I saw a body- a girl- on the road, stirring just slightly. I raced over and pushed her back down. “ stay down. You’re hu- HAILEY!” I exclaimed. She groaned, pushing at me weakly as I tried to pick her up. “Dammit, let me get you out of the rain and off the road!” I shouted at her.

“NO! Leave me alone, Mocan.” She snapped suddenly, trying to sit up, and then falling back just as fast, muttering to herself.

“I just hit you with my fucking car, so excuse me for caring.” I said back, picking her up. She gasped, wrapping her arms around my neck immediately. “PUT ME DOWN!” she yelled at me, but I ignored her, setting her in my passenger seat. She gave me a glare to rival the ones my mom gave me, as I rounded the car and slid into the driver seat.

“Y-you didn’t h-hit me.” She muttered, her teeth chattering. I shot her a surprised look, then realized her leather Jacket was missing and all she had on was a cami and a pair of cut offs.

“I thought I did. And why are you dressed like that in the middle of September? And on a rainy night?” she shot me a look, pulling her knees to her chest.

“And barefoot! Dammit, Hailey, what’s the matter with you!”

“It’s y-your d-d-damn f-fault! Y-you where s-supposed to h-hit m-me!” I slammed on my brakes, making both of us fly foreword, and turned her face to look at me.

“You mean you jumped in front of my car on purpose!?” she jerked her head away from me, and I shook my head, flooring it.

“W-where a-are y-you tak-king m-me?” she asked after a moment of silence. I shot her a glare. “ I should be taking you to a suicide help center!” she flinched, but stayed quiet, and after a second I sighed. “My house. We’re going to my house. We can get you a change of clothes from there. You need to warm up.” She nodded, looking out the window.

“Why?” I blurted. She jumped slightly, and shook her head at me.

“I-it’s s-stupid. D-don’t worry ab-bout it.” I gave her a worried look. Her lips where turning blue, with my heater going full blast.

“Well, next time don’t use someone else’s car, ok? I was so scared I’d actually killed you…” I trailed off, and she didn’t comment. We pulled up to the house, and when she made no move to get out, I walked around to her side. She was still staring out of the front window. I groaned. Shock was common, so says my mom, the RN, when someone went through something traumatizing. I shook my head, picking her up and running up the steps. I managed to ring the doorbell. My mom opened the door immediately, then gasped. “Oh, Mocan! Bring her in!” she waved me in, and I stood in the foyer.

“Mom, she needs a change of clothes, and heat. Quick. She’s been outside for awhile, and this is all she had on.” Mom nodded immediately, rushing upstairs. I Took Hailey to my room and set her on my bed. She sighed as she laid in the pillows, before focusing her eyes on me. “ I should be leaving. I shouldn’t be-“

“Nonsense, Honey. Mocan, go make her a cup of hot chocolate while I get her to change.” Mom said from the doorway. I nodded, leaving the room.

15 minutes later, I knocked on my closed door, and mom slipped out, a stricken look on her face.

“It’s like she’s not even there.” She whispered. I frowned, and she shook her head, close to tears. “She responds, and answers questions, but it’s like her… her soul is gone. She has no spark. Something horrible must have happened to her.” Mom said, covering her mouth with her hand as she began to cry. I Gave her a hug, careful with the hot chocolate, and she hugged me back just a moment before pulling back.

“Go in there, talk to her. She still needs to get warm, but she refused to lay back down once I got her changed.” I nodded, opening the door.

Hailey was sitting in my desk chair, wet hair in a ponytail as she shivered, feet tucked under her. I held up the hot chocolate, and she reached for it, but I pulled it back. “Get in the bed.” She looked like she was going to say something, then bit her lip, looking away, and stood. About halfway to the bed her knees gave out. I caught her immediately, setting the cup down carefully and lifting her the rest of the way. I tucked her under my plaid comforter and sheets, handing her the drink. It shook as she took a big drink, then coughed as she handed it back. I shook my head.

“All of it. Now.” I said firmly. She looked like she was going to argue, so I pushed the cup back in her hands. She sighed, but took another drink.

After ten minutes, I sat the empty cup on the night stand next to me. I walked across the room and flipped the light off, just leaving my bed lamp.

“W-what are y-you d-doing!?” she exclaimed in a hoarse voice. I shook my head at her just slightly. “Rest. I’ll be back in a minute.” I grabbed a pair of sleeping pants, and an old ratty tee, and went to my moms room, where she was pacing.

“She’s too cold to talk, mom. Are you sure she-“

“She’s refused a trip to the doctor. Unless she’s unconscious, I can’t take her.” I sighed, then nodded. “Alright. I get it. She’s gonna stay here tonight.” Mom nodded, but grabbed my arm when I turned to go to her bathroom.

“What… can I ask how you found her?” I bit my lip, then nodded. “She jumped in front of my car.” She gasped, covering her mouth with both hands. “Oh my God! Did you hit her!?” I shook my head furiously.

“No. she yelled at me because I didn’t.” mom shook her head sadly, looking like she was about to cry again. “Alright. Go.” I slid into her bathroom and changed, then went back to my room. Hailey was sitting up, fiddling with the hem of my sheet. She glanced up when I walked in, and a shiver went through her.

“You’re still cold. Come here.” I slid under the covers and held my arms out. She shrank back, a scared sound breaking away from her mouth before she covered it with her hand. My tone softened. “Hailey, I’m not going to hurt you.” After a moment she nodded, but it still took her almost two minutes before she settled next to me. I held her lightly, knowing that this is all I could do to get her warm. I felt every shiver go through her, and realized that she was skinner then I ever thought she was. So skinny, in fact, I would say she was starved.
♠ ♠ ♠
so here's where Hailey enters Mocans life... permenantely...let's find out why in the next chapter, shall we?