The Lover

First to last.

"Get me going once and see what you've started. You think you're going to stop me now?" He laughed in my face. "Oh Alice, what have you done?" He smirked at me before leaving out my apartment door with a slam.

I opened my laptop and the letter I had hidden in there fluttered to the floor. I picked it up and read Annabel's rushed cursive.

<i>Alice, I think Sam's gone insane. He's always talking to himself and he just writes in his notebook. I've tried to read it, but none of it makes sense, Something about an artist and a thespian. I know we haven't ever been on the best of terms, but I really think we should talk to him together. Please call me. </i>

I dropped the folded paper on the counter and picked up my keys. I left the apartment complex and drove towards Sam's house. I arrived and ran up to the door. I rang the doorbell twice, but there was no answer.

"Sam? Anna?" I shouted. Nothing. I looked under the third rock to the right of the door and found the spare key I discovered when Sam and I were together.

I entered the door and called out their names a couple more times. Sam wasn't home. I made my way up the steps. I opened the amber door that I remembered as the bedroom.

My eyes made my way over the the bed where Anna was laying beautifully in a lace dress. Her face was pale against her blonde hair and it looked as if her eyes were bruised.

"Oh Annabel, what has he done to you?" I whispered and shut the door, leaving the dead body behind.

I heard the front door slam. "Alice, I want to see your beautiful face, come down here."

I panicked at the sound of Sam's voice. Am I next? I walked to the top of the steps to see Sam waiting at the bottom. He smiled. "Why did you kill Anna?"

"She's perfectly fine."

"She's not fine, she's fucking <i>dead</i>, Sam!"

His face twisted with rage, "She just wouldn't shut up. She wanted to kill them, but they're my friends."

"Who are you talking about? I'm sure Anna wouldn't kill anyone."

"The thespian and the artist." I took in a sharp breath. He noticed. "Are you here to kill them too?"

"Of course not, I would never want to hurt your friends," I replied to him, smiling and trying not to run.

He smirked at me, "Are you ready to run?"

He came up the stairs towards me. I went in the closest room, the bedroom. I locked the door and looked for something to protect myself with. I noticed a small trail of blood leading under the bed. I looked and found a knife shining with crimson liquid that belonged to Annabel.

"I guess there is a chance you could be right," Sam said on the other side of the door. He pushed through with his shoulder, knocking the door down.

I stared at his blue eyes and he grabbed my neck, picking me up off the floor, causing the knife to fall from my hands and clatter on the floor. I tried to claw at his tainted hands, killing me, just like Annabel. I thrashed in his grip until I no longer had the energy to move. I stared at his eyes as things started fading to black.

"The emptiness will haunt you."
♠ ♠ ♠
<3