‹ Prequel: His Only Love
Sequel: Bewitched

Worldwide

Home is Where the Heart is

The thing no one seemed to understand about my life is that it was simple. I loved my family, had great friends and school was ok. I was happy, content.

Michael was different. Not in the way that his life was hard. He had a good family, lots of friends and made school look easy. What made him different was his unyielding desire to leave town. He wasn't content to just live his life in the small town we grew up in.

He wanted to see the world.

I never thought about leaving town before I met Michael. What outside of this peaceful town was so appealing? What did it offer him that I couldn't find here?

The question tormented me for the longest time. What was out there that called him? What was he looking for?

Eventually i realized why I couldn't find the answer. I had no desire to leave town. Everything I wanted was right here within reach. Everything but Michael.

He was always so close to me but when I looked into his eyes I could tell; he wasn't really here, he was off kayaking down the amazon or scaling the grand canyon. He was exploring the pyramids of egypt, or ascending to the top of mount everest. He was never just a guy in our little town, he was a man on top of the world.

That's where he was going; everyone knew it. They told me I was crazy for staying with him. 'he's never coming back' or 'you should just let go of him before you get hurt' were things I often heard in the weeks that fallowed his departure.

"hey" his voice echoed over the speaker of my phone.

"hey" I smiled sitting up on my bed. "how are you?"

There was a pause, "I'm fine. I'm sorry I didn't call in a while, I meant to, honestly"

My smile faltered, "I know Michael"

"how is everyone?"

"good" I said into the phone. "everyone is good"

Another pause, "what about you?"

I sighed, "I'm ok most days"

"and the other days?"

"I miss you" I admitted. "and I wonder if we are really meant to be together"

"of course we are" he said quickly. "why would you think that we weren't?"

"because you're not here" I said "you're far away on your adventure and I'm here with all these people that say we won't survive the distance"

"baby, why are you listening to them?"

"because I can't wait much longer" I said. "you've been gone for two years Michael; I've been stuck here, alone"

"you could join me" he said with a hint of hope in his voice.

"no" I said wiping the tear off my cheek. "no- I can't michael, the world, your adventure... It's not what I want and I know that I can't keep you here-"

"-baby"

"goodbye Michael" I said hanging up

When people heard that it was over they said it was because I was weak. They said Michael needed a strong woman to wait for him and his adventure.

It was then that I thought seriously about leaving town. For two years they said I was kidding myself into thinking he was coming back for me. And then when it ends they say I'm weak? This town, these people, I thought they were worth staying for; now being in this town makes my stomach turn.

And then I decided. I was leaving my home of twenty years and I was going to do something with my life. I joined the peace core and was going to a small village in Argentina.

Now I was the one a million miles away. My mother told me that I was like a shadow of myself now days. "your body is here" she said to me one day when we were having coffee. "but your mind is in Argentina. I haven't seen you this excited to go anywhere since you where a little girl. Michael has changed you quiet a bit, is he going to be there too?"

"he has nothing to do with this" I said quickly. "and no, he's not going to Argentina"

"tell yourself whatever you like sweetie" she mused around her coffee cup. "he still has a hold on you"

"no he doesn't"

I was packed, my ticket bought and paid for, everything was ready. All I had to do, was leave.

But every time I tried to walk out the door something stopped me. Images of Michael snatched me back and told me that he couldn't find me if I left. I tried to fight these mirages and push on to my car but the words, they would eat away at my resolve. Maybe my mother was right, maybe he did still have a hold on me.

I grabbed my suitcase and walked towards the door. The apartment was quiet and empty. All of the lights were off and the only furniture left inside, my parents were suppose to pick up next week. Outside was just as quiet; the snow left a beautiful white layer. It was peaceful, undisturbed. I opened the door and looked out at the street. The night was warm despite the falling flakes. I could see my car parked out on the street but I paused in the doorway. Like every time I tried to leave, Michael was there. This time was different than the others however, he was standing near my car and not in front of me.

"I'm not staying" I said in a low voice. "not this time"

"what do you mean?" he asked walking forward a few steps.

"I know what you're doing" I said. "you're here to tell me to stay, 'how will I find you if you leave' you'll say"

"baby, what do you mean?"

"I'm leaving Michael!" I shouted at him. "you can't stop me, not this time"

"baby-"

"why won't you let me leave?" I asked him in a weak voice. "you're a million miles away on your adventure; why cant I start mine? You say you love me but you keep me here"

"Baby I'm here" he said stepping forward another step. "I'm here with you"

"but you're not!" I cried. "even when you were actually here with me you weren't HERE. you were off on your adventure in your mind. Everyone knew that as soon as graduation came you'd be gone, seeing the world. I knew you'd leave me but I loved you still! Why won't you let me go?"

"oh, baby" he breathed. "I had no idea"

"don't say you're sorry or that you love me" I said closing my door behind me. "if you did you would see how much I need this. How much I need to go and experience something new. You would see that I'm done waiting for you to come home; just let me go, Michael" I started walking forward expecting him to vanish into thin air like before. But as I passed he instead reached out and grabbed my arm. A gasp escaped my lips as he pulled me to his warm body and hugged me tight.

"Michael?" I gasped into his coat. "Michael?!"

"I'm so sorry" he said into my hair. "I had no idea"

"Michael!" I shouted pushing back. "you're here!"

"of course" he said. "I was so selfish baby, I shouldn't have left you like that"

"Michael what are you doing here?" I asked him. "what about your adventure?"

"I booked my trip back as soon as I realized I didn't want to live without you anymore" he said. "I couldn't live like that. I need you, the whole time I was gone I wished I was with you, holding you, kissing you. I loved my adventure don't get me wrong. But i think I'm ready to start my next one; being with you"

"Michael" I breathed.

"you know that saying?" he asked. "the one that says 'home is where the heart is?' my home is with you. my home, my heart, my love is all here" he said cupping my cheeks.

I laughed through my tears, "I love you too Michael" he kissed me then and it was the most amazing, passionate kiss he's ever given me.

"so" he chuckled pulling back. "where are you going?"