‹ Prequel: Absolutely Hate You
Status: Working.

The Simple Love Story

Threaten

Image

"Dad!" I yelled across the airport.

He turned and the blue eyes that I inherited looked right at mine. He smiled and grabbed his bag and walked over to me. I smiled and ran to him.

"Matt!" He said and laughed. He always did this, he always laughed uncontrollably when he came home. I smiled.

"I missed you so much." He said. I sniffed him, he smelled like dirt but whatever.

"Me too, Dad. Come on, Uncle Sam is outside waiting." I said pulling away from the hug.

We dragged the suitcases out of the airport and the the driving area. I placed the 30 pound suitcases onto the trunk one by one and then went to the car.

"Why aren't you at school today?" My dad asked.

"Oh… just today is one of those school renovation days." I said shrugging.

"Hmm. Schools these days." He grunted. I smiled and nodded.

"Yea. I know right? Why don't I do homeschooling from now on." I said trying to get him to say yes.

"No, school is school. You need to start making friends and get connections." he said. I sighed.

"Dad. I have no friends… I'm a loner." I said. "The loner that lives with her father and uncle and loves hockey." I said.

"Well. Why don't you try loving TV shows.. or those little boys on TV?" My dad asked.

"Because it's not reality. It's very superficial dad. I don't even know those guys." I reasoned.

"Saying from the girl who has no friends." Uncle Sam said.

"Hey!" both my dad and I punched his arm.

"Hey. I'm driving… Jeez." Uncle said and took one hand to rub his arm. I smiled. It was nice to have my dad back.

We were going to go to Sam's hockey game after we dropped off some of dad's stuff at home. The game was the Heathcliff Bulldog vs. The Machinery Corks.

I went with a plan.

"How are you?" My dad asked as we entered the arena.

"Fine…" I said looking around for the locker rooms.

"You sure, you know hanging out with your uncle often is strange." He said. I shrugged.

"I don't care what people think, Dad.. You should know this very well." I said.

"Yes… and peeing on someone's lawn is not what you don't care about. You were 4…" He said, I smiled at the memory.

"Dad.. don't worry about me." I said trying to assure him, "I need to go somewhere really quick.. so.. grab a seat. Okay?" I said and kissed his cheek and left.

I walked around trying to look for the locker rooms.

I found it…

I walked in while hiding my hair in my hood. I snuck around and opened the door to enter the locker rooms.

The room was filled with guys… let's say they weren't decent. They saw me with wide eyes and turned the other way quickly while hiding their junks. I bit my lower lip trying to look for that injured guy that Sam was talking about, David?

"David?" I said loudly.

"David. She's calling your name." One guy said. I looked at the David dude. He looked up at me confused.

"Are you David?" I asked holding my head high from those nasty cat calls.

"Yes… are you planning on giving me a good luck charm?" He asks cockily with a smirk upon his lips. I looked at him in disgust and rolled my eyes.

"Yea right. Are you injured?" I asked.

"Yes… That give all the more reason for you to give me that kiss sugar-pie. So it would heal?" He asked, his eyes were glinting. I scoffed and ignored it.

"You shouldn't play tonight." I said bluntly. I ignored his outrageous and disgusting attempt to flirt.

"Why not?" He asked flirtatiously.

"Because… do you want to stay on the team for the next year?" I reasoned.

"Yes." He said.

"Well, with your injury. If you play tonight, you're going to suffer tomorrow. You would have to go to the doctor just to find out that you can't play for a year. Do you want that to happen?" I asked.

He looked scared and unsure, he looked up at me.

"How would you know?" He asked.

"Well, I've taken medical therapy classes." I lied, well not really lied. I have taken this one class about being medical aides for athletes.

"Oh…" He said… I cut him off before he could reply.

"Good. I'll take your place then." I said.

"Wh-" I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"You aren't allowed here." A guy's voice said. I froze, I was caught… but I had to play it cool.

I turned around to see a guy with blonde hair, his eyes were light blue. His face was structured nicely… in other words… he was really good looking.

"I don't see why not? I'm just trying warning him." I said, I was trying to get a grip back.

"It's not your problem." He said bluntly.

"Yes it is." I said raising my voice in protest.

"Why?" He asked.

"Because.. I want this team to win tonight." I said honestly.

"We have extras. David can play or can't play… we have people to fill in for him." He said.

Goodness... what's with this guy. He's ruining my plan!

"Can you get your hand off my shoulder?" I asked. He looked at his hand and brought it away. My heart was frowning, why did I have to say that?

"Well, still. There's extras for a reason. They're not as good." I said truthfully.

"What makes you any better than them then?" He asked raising and eyebrow.. oh wow.. he's really cute.

Matt, don't ruin your plan. Don't you dare ruin this.

"Because I can beat the goalie. Easy." I said confident.

"Well, I'm sorry. But to be on this team, you'd have to try out first. And girls are not allowed." He said. "Especially in the locker rooms." He said narrowing his eyes.

"Bayley, don't be like that." One of the guys said.

"We enjoy her here." Another said.

"Yea, she just totally butt-whipped David here." The shirtless guy said.

"Yes. She did didn't she?" They all turned around and looked at my uncle. His arms were crossed with his clipboard in one hand, he stared at me.

"Matt?" He asked. "What are you doing here harassing my boys?" He asked. I took a deep breath in and exhaled it.

"I'm far from harassing them. I was just trying to warn David here about his medical condition." I said innocently.

"Don't you mean threaten kiddo?" He asks, I frowned.

"Threaten? Me? I can't threaten a bird." I said innocently.

"Really? I wonder why… maybe because birds can't understand you." Uncle Sam said.

"Well, yes I could threaten birds by driving them off but… I don't threaten anything." I said. I looked at his eyes. We were having a contest.

"Coach… who is she?" The guy, who confronted me, asked.

"Boys… this is my niece. Matilda." He said.

"It's Matt. Matilda is overrated." I stated.