Status: Sequel is posted :) !

Cinderella for Hire

ten.

I borrowed Nicholas' iPad with the excuse that I wanted to check my emails. In my defense, I did. The movers emailed me that my things would arrive in Nicholas' apartment at 11 a.m., just to confirm things. And I replied. And then I opened another tab and browsed through this shoe website. 30% discount on that cute flats with that fluffy flower on it. Score!

And one thing led to another.

I swore Nicholas' was the most organized person I've met. His files were properly arranged and appropriately titled. On my laptop, some of the files were titled 'asdf' or 'fjksd'. You get the idea. I tapped on the 'family' folder and started browsing through.

"You know, when you're so bored, why don't you do something productive?"

"This is productive."

I shifted the iPad away a bit so he wouldn't see I was snooping. I swiped the screen with my finger and continued viewing the pictures. Honestly, the pictures in the folder were so scarce. Why wouldn't anyone want to preserve memories about their family?

"The least you can do is sit properly. People can see you, you know," he said, motioning towards the glass panels. I grunted and complied. Satisfied, he went back to his work. And I could go back to my snooping. I suppose that blonde lady with the strikingly clear blue eyes was his mother. Something was a bit off though. I went back through the same pictures over and over again. This was categorized under family, right?

But Nicholas didn't look like any of them. Well, maybe he was as good-looking as most of them (not that I'll ever admit that to him, ever. The last thing the guy needed was another ego boost) but genetics-wise, not much. Maybe it was just one of those things you know…

"I'm adopted."

His deep voice came out of nowhere it scared me shitless. When I turned to look at him, he was peering over at the iPad on my lap before fixing his gaze to me, as if to challenge me. To do what, I had no idea. He was adopted. Wow. Okay. Considering his position today, well…lucky him, I suppose.

"You don't seem too happy about that," I said after a while. Unexpectedly, he gave me a smile. He had one of those really sweet, heart-fluttering smiles of sorts.

"To be honest, I'm thankful that the Fultons came into my life, despite the divorce that came several years after that. They had high expectations for me," he said, pausing, as if he didn't want to reveal too much to me. "But, I can't complain now, can I?"

I couldn't quite find the right words to answer that. Should an adopted child obediently follow every of his foster parents wishes because doing otherwise would bring what…guilt, probably? I didn't know. So I didn't answer him.

He swiveled his chair to face the monitor once again. And I guessed, that was the end of that.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading and comments would really be appreciated, thank you :D