Status: Sequel is posted :) !

Cinderella for Hire

twenty-three.

"I love him," I said with so much conviction that it scared me. There was something about these people that irked me so badly and I guessed, if Nick hadn't told me about his past with them, I probably wouldn't be half as angry as I was right now. "I'm not after his wealth or anything. I just love him. And I do hope that he…loves me as much back too."

"I do," he replied, his hand went to my knee and squeezing it. There was something in his eyes, it was as if he was almost begging me to stop talking before turning back to his uncle. "There's nothing to worry about here."

"Nicholas," I whispered when his uncle shrugged and went back to his dinner.

Nick's hand was still on my knee as he leaned closer to me and whispered, "please don't let them get into your head. There's no reason to."

Okay, he was right. I was his pretend girlfriend after all, but they didn't know that! To them, I was Nick's girlfriend. Full stop. And they still treated me as if I wasn't worth Nick's time, just because I was what? Not rich? Well not everyone was an heiress and money wasn't everything.

"We didn't mean to offend, dear," Alyssa said. Honestly, I was so sick of being called 'dear' because it wasn't a term of endearment at all, coming from her – it was almost like an insult. "We're just enlightening you to our world. Nick is a very eligible bachelor and we always have his best interest in mind."

Nick snorted but covered it up by coughing. Caleb's phone rang and he excused himself from the table.

I didn't know what to say anymore.

"He always dated people that are at equal level as he is," Alyssa continued. "Could you really live up to that reputation and that level? You'll be scrutinized under a microscope. People would always question what do you want with Nicholas and—"

"That is enough, Alyssa," Nick said, his voice low and threatening as he glared daggers at her aunt.

"Nicholas—" Alyssa began but Nick shook his head but they continued to bicker anyway. I didn't want to listen to any of them anyway. I played around with my food as Caleb came back, smiling at me and shooting a quizzical look to his bickering family before joining them too. He was on my side though.

But the thing was, I didn't need anyone to be on my side – she was clearly attacking me and I was the one who should be arguing right now. But I couldn't say anything because for the simple fact that for a miniscule of a moment, I actually considered her opinions. And an upsetting, sickening feeling formed at the pit of my stomach that somehow she wasn't wrong.

Nick had dated countless of important people, per se. And I knew I shouldn't be offended by this because hey, I wasn't dating him for real but…I looked at his frustrated, angry expression.

But that would mean that he really doesn't have feelings for me.

I snapped out of my daydream and wanted to politely excuse myself to get some air because honestly this was just too noisy and too out of hand for me to handle. But you see, these stupid shoes I wore was stupid for a reason. They were pumps, with very long, skinny heels. I wasn't used to wearing shoes like these. I was used to wearing sandals and sneakers and wedges, you get the point.

So whenever I stand up, I needed to stop and properly balance myself. And when I walk, these shoes forced me to be slow and graceful in every step I take.

Unfortunately I forgot that I had them on (what? Sitting down, it felt almost as comfy as my sneakers!).

And that waiter holding that huge tray of assorted dessert just had to walk behind me at that exact time.

Image


"I swear to god someone took a picture of that," I said, burying my face in my palms. I smelled like chocolate cake.

Oh wait, that was because cake and puddings fell on me when I fell on that waiter.

"That was probably me," Nick replied, laughing out loud. I peeked between my fingers and glared at him but it caused him to laugh even harder. We were walking to the parking lot. I was barefooted because I couldn't take it anymore with those shoes and decided to carry them instead. After his laughter died and everything, he stopped in his tracks and I was already near his car.

"Nick?"

"I told you not to let them get into your head, that's exactly what they want," he said, smiling wryly at me. "That's how they tear someone apart. It just so happen to be a business strategy," he added, with a little wink. "You had no reason to be ticked off by it in the first place."

"I know but…" I trailed off, not knowing what to say.

"Unless there is a reason?"

I froze, my eyes darted away from his gaze. I heard his footsteps getting closer to me and with one finger, he lifted my chin up.

"So is there?"

"I don't know," I whispered, my cheeks tingling with warmth. "No one should be treated that way, ever. And I know I'm not a supermodel or a VP of some MNC or an heiress but everyone deserves to be respected for who they are. So what if I'm not the most perfect person out there?"

"You're turn."

"What?" I stuttered, blinking rapidly. I couldn't concentrate; he was so close to me. I wanted to push him away again.

"At the Space Needle, you told me to tell something about myself and in return you'd tell me something about yourself. It's your turn."

Was he being serious?

"I…I don't know. Wait, let me think up of something."

"Let me help you with that," he said, tracing his thumb across his jaw. "Are you ticked off by my relatives because you harbor a certain feeling for me, Miss Bennett?"

"I like strawberry milkshake," I cried out, flushing. "Okay, your turn," I said hurriedly. "Do you?"

"Well I guess strawberry milkshake is okay with me—" he said with a confused look on his face.

"No! I mean, do you…harbor…feelings…?"

I became an illiterate monkey and I had no absolute idea why I just asked him that. Of course he didn't! And I was hyperventilating, I was honestly hyperventilating.

"Yes."

"What?" I breathed out.

His hand cupped the side of my face as he said, "I really like you. I wanted to kiss you so badly back in that tower and I still do. And I want to do all sorts of…pleasurable things with you," he whispered. "But I can't."

Shocked.

Shocked.

Was it because I wasn't a supermodel?

When I could finally found my voice, I could only ask him why.

"It feels wrong," he answered. "I'm paying you to be my girlfriend, mind you. And in that sense, I'd feel as if I'd be paying you to…" he trailed off, letting go of me and fishing his car keys out of his pocket as he walked to the side of the car. "Besides, you'll be better off without me. Trust me."

The ride back to the hotel was silent.

And miserable.
♠ ♠ ♠
*Dodges all of the tomatoes because I didn't make them kiss again*

Actually I'm thinking of making a sequel for this, or maybe not. Wait, it's not over JUST YET, it's just that most of my stories end at 20-something chapters. But this would probably go on until 30-something chapters. We'll see.

Thank you for reading! Really, I appreciate it :D I'd love to hear what you have to say about this chapter so comments are always appreciated and welcomed.