Status: Sequel is posted :) !

Cinderella for Hire

six.

When I spotted Nicholas across the room, chatting away with some grim-looking men (I only met him a few hours ago but I could instantly tell that, if he were given a gun, he’d shot himself. I was quite proud to be able to tell when he was displeased) so I bounded to him with a flute of champagne in my hand and when he realized I was there, he curled his arm around my waist and bring me closer to him.

To be frank, I think he saw me as a lifesaver more than anything else at that time.

“Hey, hey, Nicholas,” I whispered when two of those men were in some sort of a heated debate and Nicholas and another man was feigning interest in whatever the debate was all about. “They put strawberries in champagnes here. I’ve never seen anything like it, except in movies. And it tastes awesome,” I continued, giggling.

“You poor, poor thing,” Nicholas said after he stared at me a while to figure out if I was being serious or not. Condescending much.

The man beside Nicholas finally noticed that he had a company. Instead of being polite and smiling, he actually looked taken aback. Like seriously, It was as if he saw a ghost ready to cut his head off. “My, my. And who is this, Nicholas?”

“This is my girlfriend, April,” he answered, a tad awkwardly. Oh, this guy was in need of some serious lessons on how to be more sociable. “And April, this is my father.”

For a moment, everyone around us stared.

And the first thing I could think of was try to act as normal as possible because I actually wanted to get paid for this job and not be fired because…I was a tiny, little bit…tipsy.

“Richard Fulton,” he finally said, as if he was snapped from a trance. I shook his hand and said, “April, April Bennett. It’s really nice to have finally met you, Nick here has told me a lot of things about you.”

Richard laughed. “Good things, I hope.”

Nicholas gave his father a dry smile.

“Well, would you look at that,” one of the grim guy said, chuckling to himself. “Our little ‘Nick’ here has found himself a girl. Good luck, my dear. I reckon that he’s not the type of guy who’s easy to deal with.”

“Oh, he’s just…dandy,” I said, cursing my simple vocabulary.

“Tell us more about yourself, April,” Richard said, smiling. “How did you two met?”
♠ ♠ ♠
If you're reading this, then I love you guys for still reading this story lol. Sorry for the insanely late update, good news is that I'll (probably) manage to update this often now. Thank you again for reading and do comment :) I appreciate it.