Status: Sequel is posted :) !

Cinderella for Hire

nine.

Nicholas workplace was amazing. Everyone I've met on my way up to his office was so friendly but Nicholas reckoned that they were being particularly nice because I was the new office gossip. And I wasn't even a part of the office! I didn't even know if I should feel flattered by it (note: Nicholas thought I should felt affronted by it and proceeded to glare at his colleagues) (I felt that was very rude of him so I glared at him back. Hah! Take that, Nicholas Fulton).

His office was all glass panels and as minimalistic as his apartment was. Honestly, I had to remember to buy him some flowers to brighten the space. His office wasn't as huge as I anticipated it was, it was decent-sized actually. Well, it was enough to have a bar in it. I realized most of his collection of alcohol on the shelves was whisky. I walked towards the far end of the room, where I could see the panoramic view of the city.

I should've majored in economics or business or something.

"You know, for a person who likes his privacy, this space is pretty open," I said, turning around. He took off his coat and tossed it on a black leather sofa nearby and walked to his desk. "I thought you'd be working in a windowless office and the only source of light was from the lit candles or something."

He gave me a wry smile and said, "I'm afraid you've mistook me for a psychopath, or a vampire."

I stared at him long and hard. "Are you?"

"Regretting my decision to have you move in with me? Yes."

I ignored him and plopped down on the seat across from his. At the same time, a man, probably in his late-30s walked in, his mouth poised to shoot Nicholas a question when his gaze fell on me and he instantly backtracked. After a long hard look, he turned to Nicholas. "My God, I never thought the rumors were true."

"Never thought you'd pay attention to office gossip, Jameson," he replied curtly, raising his eyebrow.

"So, it's not true?"

"It is," I quipped. "I'm April Bennett," I said, getting up and shaking his hand.

"Call me Jameson," he said, his eyes crinkled in a smile. "April Bennett; the name as stunning as the person is."

Nicholas gave an incredulous laugh. I could tell it was involuntary, as his eyes were clouded with the realization of what he had done. For a moment, things in the room got awkward.

"I mean," he said, stuttering slightly and went by my side. "Surely, she's the…most gorgeous thing in the world, no?" said Nicholas, showing his pearly whites. Although to be honest, I think he was baring his teeth at me like a hungry wolf while trying to telepathically send messages to me: "Don't screw this up, DO NOT SCREW THIS UP."

Pfft, if he just had a little faith in me…

"Aw, darling," I gushed, "you flatter me."

I was aiming for a peck on the lips, for extra effect. Those perfect couples in TV did it all the time, right? Couldn't be hard.

Except…

It was the most awkward thing I've ever had to deal with. Ever.

I didn't know what happened, but suddenly when I tiptoed and tried to move my head towards his, I kind of froze. It felt weird. And awkward. And weird. I could feel the heat on my face and for some reason, I think Nicholas was experiencing the same thing too. We were like ostriches trying to peck each other. Seriously. That was probably how we looked like. His hand hesitated but then went to the side of my face as our lips met.

And suddenly it wasn't that awkward anymore.

It was still weird, but it was a different weird. My heart was still break-dancing behind my ribcage and the heat never did left my face. His hands were more relaxed now, moving around my waist, pulling me closer.

And then I realized where we were.

I pushed him away and looked at Jameson who looked amused. Oh my god. Oh my god. What happened? I've never felt so embarrassed. Well, actually I had. I fell down on this escalator once and I couldn't get up so I was tumbling and tumbling…

"Sorry about that," Nicholas said, looking slightly hassled and breathless himself. But of course, him being him, recovered quickly on his feet and was being all boring and professional again. He rubbed his face and gave a little laugh. "I didn't know what happened."

You and I both, buddy.

"It's fine," he said, dismissing it with a mere wave of his hand. "I came here wondering if you're up for a drink after work, there's something I want to discuss with you actually," he said, raising his eyebrow. Nicholas looked confused at first but then something clicked in his head I guess.

He nodded and said, "I'll see what I can do."

"Well, if you excuse me, I need to find your father," Jameson said and turned to me afterwards. "And I'm hoping that I can see you around often, April. Nicholas isn't exactly the easiest person to deal with, so hang in there."

Nicholas had this offended, sort of mortified look plastered on his face that I couldn't help but giggle.

"Nice to meet you, again," I said, smiling and waving to him as he walked out the office. Nicholas' secretary looked up from his monitor and smiled at Jameson.

"What is with people telling me that you're such a hardass to deal with?" I said, smirking.

He shrugged and went back to his seat. I was thankful that he didn't bring up the kissing thing, actually.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry I suck. I've been busy with things and I'll try to update more often.
Soo, what do you think about the chapter? :D Thanks for (still) reading and do leave a comment :) I'll appreciate it.