Not Good Enough For You

Chapter 6

Aaron's point of view:

I caught the bus with Nate, to go and visit Rayne. He'd been in hospital for a few days with that nutrition lady, so I wanted to find out how he was progressing.
However, when we reached his ward, there was no sign of Rayne.
"Maybe we should ask at the desk" suggested Nate.
"Sure thing" I replied, as we made our way towards the woman who was sitting at the desk.
"Excuse me" Nate asked. The woman at the desk nodded. "I wondering if you tell us where Rayne Henderson is?"
The woman typed in a few things on the computer, and then looked back up at us.
"I'm so sorry, but Rayne has been moved to intensive care this morning" the woman replied.
"What!? Why!?" I said, still trying to keep my voice low.
"I'm not sure why, but it says here that he is in room 301."
Immediately, Nate and myself practically ran to the intensive care unit. I really hope Rayne's going to be okay.
When we got there, the first thing we saw, was Beatrice, Rayne's mum, sitting outside room 301, crying, with Destiny comforting her.
"What happened to him?" I asked, desperation in my voice.
"He found out that he had put on weight" Destiny explained.
"But I don't understand, that's a good thing" said Nate.
"But as soon as he found out, he ran out of the room and ended up falling down a flight of stairs. The anorexia had made his bones very brittle, and he broke a few ribs." Destiny turned back to consoling her mother.
"Are we allowed in his room?" I asked.
"Sure, go right in" Destiny replied.
The shock hit me as soon as I entered the room. Rayne just lay there looking deathly-pale. He had bandages all over his torso, and his skinny legs were covered with baggy pyjama bottoms. He had oxygen tubes up his nose, fluids going into his wrists, and was hooked up to monitors and other equipment.
"Rayne, can you hear me?" I called.
His beautiful eyes fluttered open, looking right at me.
"It hurts" he whimpered.
"It will do sweetheart."
His eyes widened at the name 'sweetheart'. he then looked at Nate.
"Nate, where's everyone else?" He asked.
"Vanessa couldn't come today, she's babysitting her cousin, and as for Jason and Tabitha, I just don't know."
"Hey Nate, would it be okay if I could talk to Rayne alone?" I interrupted.
"Sure" he replied, as he slowly got up and left the room.

Rayne's point of view:

It hurt to breathe. With every breath I took, pain shot through my chest.
"Why did you do this to yourself, Rayne?" Aaron sighed. "Don't you realise that you are killing yourself?"
"I know, but who cares if I die?" I said. "All I want is to be thin."
"Rayne, you are thin, in fact too thin. Just... please... your mum cares about you, your sister cares about you, your friends care about you, and most of all, I care loads about you. I'd hate to lose you."
"Yeah, you've been through this before - everyone has" I said.
Aaron opened his mouth to say something, but we were interrupted by Penny, my nutritionist.
She walked into the room with my mum, sister and Nate.
"Hello Rayne, how are you feeling?"
"I just... hurt." I replied dimly.
"Okay, so I know you're on fluids, but I want you to at least have something in your stomach."
I felt nervous as I saw her place a yogurt on my bedside table.
"Please Rayne, I just want you to take a few spoonfuls and I'll be happy, it's fat-free and smooth, so it should be easier to swallow."
"I don't want it, I'm not hungry" I replied.
Penny's face dropped.
"How about I talk to him?" My mum said. Penny nodded and left the room.
"Darling, I love you and I only want what's best" she said, as she picked up the yogurt and the spoon, and began peeling the lid off.
I moved my head away when my mum bought the spoon to my lips.
"Please Rayne, it's hurting me... all of this... ugh."
"Do you want me to do it?" Aaron suggested.
I nodded, and my mum gave the yogurt and spoon to him. He then held the spoon to my lips, but I still refused.
"At least lick a tiny bit off, it's got no fat in it at all, it's good for you" he stressed.
I shut my eyes and unwillingly licked the end of the spoon. The strawberry yogurt actually tasted quite nice, but I still couldn't get myself to swallow it, so I began to heave.
"Baby, it's okay, just swallow it slowly." Aaron said, as he cupped my cheek in his hand.
"I can't!" I cried. I then felt my mum hold my hand and kiss my forehead.
"Just relax, you're all tensed-up, it's good for you, especially with broken ribs" she said.
I ended up forcing the yogurt down my throat, just to please them, but oh how I wished I hadn't. I even saw them all smile when they realised I'd swallowed it.
"See, it wasn't that hard" said Destiny.
I soon put my hand over my mouth.
"I'm gonna be sick!" I cried.
Aaron then held onto both sides of my face.
"You are not going to be sick" he half-shouted.
"No, no, no, my stomach hurts!" I tried to thrash around, but I couldn't because my ribs would start to hurt.
"It's because it's not used to food" my mum soothed.
"No, I'm gonna be sick!" I wailed.
"Shh, just calm down" Aaron said, as he stroked my hair, moving some of it away from my face. "Do you want the others to leave the room again?"
"Yes please." So they left the room yet again, this must drive them nuts!
"Rayne" Aaron stated. "Please, please, please do this for me, just take one more spoonful and you will have made my day."
"Fine" I sighed, as I opened my mouth, ready for the spoon.
Once the yogurt was in my mouth, I took my time to swallow it, still heaving a little, but Aaron's face lit up once I swallowed.
"See, you really can do it" he smiled.
"I'm not having anymore though" I grumbled.
"It's okay, you don't have to right now, I'm so proud of you!"
"Really?"
"Yes, really... um Rayne?"
"Yeah."
"Can I... um... can I kiss you?" I just felt my heart flutter. Aaron wanted to kiss me!
"Yes... oh yes!" I must have sounded like an overexcited little girl.
Aaron leaned over the bed, careful not hurt me or disrupt any tubes or wires. His lips then touched my own for the very first time - they were so soft and gentle, making the kiss sweet. Our lips then moved in sync. Never in a million years would I have expected this day to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
Aww, they just kissed, that's so cute!