Not Good Enough For You

Chapter 9

Aaron's point of view:

Beatrice was shocked to find that I had carried Rayne home, and I don't blame her. She was already deeply concerned about Rayne before she was aware of what would happen today.
"I thought he was going to visit one of his other friends" she whispered.
"Luckily I was on my way over here this morning, and I found him unconscious on the pavement" I explained.
Beatrice replied with a whimper. It must be more painful for her than anyone, having to experience her own son deliberately starving himself to death.
I looked down at Rayne, who was still in my arms. He seemed exhausted, and had fallen asleep as a result.
"I'll take him to his room, he needs to rest" I said as I made my way up the stairs, with Beatrice following.
Rayne stirred in his sleep as I laid him on his bed and removed his shoes. My poor little angel seemed so fragile that I was scared of hurting him, even by the slightest touch.
"I'm going to make him some soup" Beatrice said, as she left the room, leaving the door ajar.
I returned to Rayne, getting onto the bed with him and gathering him in my arms, before pulling the blankets over both of us.
"Sweetheart, I want you to know that I love you, and I just want you to get better" I said. I planted kisses onto his neck and stroked his hair. It had started thinning at the back, because of his anorexia. It saddened me even more when I thought about Rayne's lovely raven locks falling out, and I'm sure he didn't want that to happen either.

Rayne’s point of view:

I was lying of a soft, comfortable surface. I felt someone’s fingers stroking my hair at the back of my head.
“Where am I?” I croaked.
“You’re at your house, in your room” said a voice from behind me – Aaron.
“Aaron, what are you doing here?” I asked, surprised to find that he was lying next to me, with his arms around my waist.
“I was worried about you, so I decided to watch over you” Aaron explained. “You must have fallen asleep while I carried you.”
A few minutes later, my mum came in with a steaming-hot bowl of soup.
“Rayne, you need to eat something, okay” she said. “And by the way, did you even eat that cereal bar this morning?”
“No” I admitted, as I shook my head.
My mum sighed and placed the bowl on my bedside table.
“I don’t want it” I said.
My mum was about to say something, until Aaron interrupted.
“It’s okay Ms Henderson, I’ll sort it all out.”
My mum nodded, giving us a weak smile, before leaving the room again.
I looked back at Aaron, as he picked up the bowl of soup.
“You shouldn’t let yourself get any worse” he said. “It’s like you’re back in hospital again.”
“Fine, I’ll eat it” I said, before Aaron put the spoon to my lips, and I obediently ate the soup off it. “Is this soup going to make me fat?”
“No” Aaron replied. “It’s vegetable soup, and it’s very healthy.”

In the end, I actually managed to eat all of the soup, without having the urge to want to throw up. In fact, I felt much better than I did before.
Aaron was sitting up with me in his lap; my head was against his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat.
“Aaron?” I said.
“Yes sweetie?”
“Do I even look skinny to you?”
“What? Of course you are skinny. You’ve always been skinny. How about I prove it to you?”
“Okay” I replied, as I saw Aaron pick up a multi-coloured studded belt.
He showed me by putting the belt around each of our waists, that if I was to wear it, it would have to be made much tighter, than if he wore the belt. I actually believed him.
“So I really am too skinny?” I asked, as I leaned on Aaron’s chest again.
“I’m afraid so, I mean it’s like you’re almost going to disappear.”
I looked up at him. “I’m so sorry” I said, as a tear rolled down my cheek. Aaron wiped the tear away and kissed me on the lips.
“Let me tell you something” Aaron said. “Three years ago, a friend who didn’t come to our school, died from anorexia. His name was Tyler. When I heard that you had the same thing, I got really worried. I didn’t want you to die as well.”
The story Aaron had just told me, hit me like a brick.
Why was I so stupid?
I just wanted my life to go back to how it was, before all of this.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you.