Countdown to ***

The Start

Mia woke up, her head pounding, she lay there for a few minuets before she got up, her legs where shaking and she had to lean up against a wall to keep herself upright.

There was movement and Mia turned around sharply, causing her legs to collapse underneath her, she fell hard to the floor.

"OW!" she screamed, then stood up fast, rubbing her knees, she tried to look to see who was moving but she could not make out who it was.

"Hello?" not expecting an answer, she moved forward, her hands out in front of her, feeling the thin air, she grabbed hold of someone, someone stiff and cold, someone who did not feel at all human.

"So your awake at last" came a raspy voice.

Mia let her hands fall to her sides, she could finally see, her eyes had adjusted, but what she saw only froze her in terror.

This man was like no other human, he was so pale it looked like he had no blood at all, he was bald, his teeth were black and some were not even whole, he had what looked like spikes of wood going in his forehead and coming out his chin, his eyes were black and looked like an endless pit, the man had no emotion on his face.

Mia could not say anything, she tried to open her mouth, to scream, to run, to get away, but it was like she was glued to the floor, she was looking deep into his eyes, his dark eyes.

The man reached out for something, Mia heard a click and the next thing she knew the man had disappeared and she had started to fall down, she screamed at the top of her lungs, falling, falling, then she hit the hard floor, a sharp pain went through her hand and when she turned to look at it she almost fainted, there was a thin spike sticking up from the ground, her hand had gone right through it, gasping in pain she quickly yanked her hand up, blood pouring from the open wound, she screamed again, this time in pain, her eyes started to water.

"Are you OK?"

Mia turned when she heard this voice, it was a female and she could see her shadow walking over to her, Mia got up, trying not to think of her hand.

"Is there anything I can use to bandage my hand?"

The girl shook her head "Sorry love, you were just unlucky, didn't happen to any of us."

Mia looked around at the others, there were at least four of them, all around her age or older, all looking scared and confused.

"Looks like you are all getting to know each other" a whisper came, they all turned, trying to find where the voice was coming from.

"Well, time for the fun and games to start, fun for me of course, wanna play the game, no, well you have no choice" then the voice was laughing, a high and cold laugh which sent a shiver down Mia's spine.

"It's kill or be killed, you all ready, GO!"

It went dark one again and when Mia could see again she saw she was on her own, she was wearing what looked like a military uniform with pockets and weapon holders on, there was a table to her left with four guns, two swords and a dozen and a half grenades, Mia sighed, picking up all that was on the table, she knew what she had to do, kill or be killed, she was not dying today.