‹ Prequel: Remind Me
Status: Coming to life...

I Lost It

Chapter 2

I finished packing the car and went back up to check the apartment once more before I headed out. 

I looked around for a few minutes before I grabbed my iPhone off the counter and walked out the door. 

As I got into my truck, I decided that I should grab a few bottles of water and maybe a snack or two for the beginning of the ride up. 

I drove over to Target to get what I needed and on my way out I saw an old friend. 

"Hey Jeff!" She said, running across the parking lot over to me. "Oh my god, I missed you!"

She threw her arms around me and have me a quick hug. 

"Hey Sami, how have you been?"

"I've been great. Working a lot. Still have the boyfriend. Same old, same old. What about you?"

"You know, same thing here. I'm actually leaving to go back home for a few weeks to just clear my head."

"Oh... Okay, we'll I'm gonna go then." She said, upset, and began to walk away.

"Sam! Wait! What's up? You okay?" I asked, starting to run after her a little.

"She's my best friend, Jeff... No matter what she did to get herself into this situation, she loved you and still does. I read the text from that night... I know you still care about her. I don't understand why you won't even try again with her. Even just being there for her. It just doesn't seem like you to not want to help out and, I don't know, I guess you've changed."

I didn't even know what to say to her.  Of course I still love Katie... I think I always will. 

"Sam, what are you taking about? She left, not me. And you said you saw that text... I put myself out there, offering to be whatever she needed me to be, and she just left it alone. I can't go back there and beg for her. I owe it to her to leave her with the space that she wants. I do love her, but that is exactly why I am leaving her alone."

"Yeah, I know she didn't answer you then, but when she called you last week, I thought that you would go back and be there for her."

"She never called me, Sami. You can look at all of my calls. I promise you. Nothing..."

"I was there. I know she called. I hear the answering machine... I just assumed you would have called her back and worked it out."

"Wait, she called my home phone? The answering machine doesn't light up for a new message. I never got it."

"So you aren't just leaving because of her?" She asked me, and I could immediately feel the excitement in her voice, which in a way made me happy. 

Sam did always like us together. 

"I am leaving because I miss her, not to get away from her." I explains myself to her. "I need to see her."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, I know it's short. I think they will be for the first few chapters so that I can "re" set the stage, I guess(:

Comments/Input/Ideas would be great. Inbox works too:)