‹ Prequel: Remind Me
Status: Coming to life...

I Lost It

Chapter 3

I walked up to the Condo, and knocked. I didn't know what I would say or do, but if I didn't just go for it, I never would. 

The door opened and there she was... more beautiful than ever. 

I waited outside, as we both stood there speechless just taking each other in. 

"I'm sorry." She said, finally breaking the silence. 

"You don't have to apologize. It's--"

"No! I am not gonna let you let me off easy on this one. I need to tell you how I feel... Just let me get this out." She somewhat demanded, grabbing my hand and pulling me inside. 

"I have thought about calling you since the day that I left, but I couldn't. I didn't know how I would explain anything to you. Then I planned on calling you after some time went by, whether you moved on or not. Again, I was afraid to face you."

"I was never mad at you. Mad at the situation, yes, but only because I loved you so much."

"I didn't mean face you, like you were going to hit me or something, I meant because I was wrong."

I leaned in closer to her on the couch, but she pulled away. 

"Wrong about what?"

"About Luke. About believing the lies that he kept giving me about wanting to help with this. About leaving you for selfish reasons. I was wrong about everything, and I had no idea how to fix it."

"So he doesn't want to have any part of this baby? You have to do it all?"

"Yes. We went and had papers signed that he will have nothing to do with these babies except to give me child support. I just want to do this with you. You said that you would be here and you came back. You must still feel something. I know I do." 

She got up and walked out into the kitchen. I got up to follow her, but she came back. She was searching for something in her phone. 

Next thing I knew, Kenny Chesney was playing.

"There's so many things, I didn't say.  And even though it may be too late, I want you to know I still love you so. Every car I meet, looks like your car. Every movie I see, you play the leading part. You're on my mind. Can't leave you behind."

She paused it. "This is the only song I have listened to since I left. I never stopped loving you, Jeff."

"When I close my eyes, you're all I see. In the dark of night, you're in my dreams. Throughout the day, you're easy to find. You're always there, when I close my eyes."

"You are all I thought about for the past 6 months. I need to be with you."

"In my mind I know, you're far away. But here in my heart, nothing has changed. I'm still holding' you like I used to. On a busy street, in a crowded room, wherever I go, it's just me and you- Together again. Oh, it never ends."

"This song perfectly describes the way I feel about you. I can't even imagine living without you any longer."

"You don't have to." I said back, leaning in to passionately kiss her. 

"Ohhh!" She said, and jumped so I moved back.

"Are you okay?" I asked, now standing up nervously.

"Yeah, feel this."

I put my hand in hers and she lead it over to a spot on her stomach. 

"Fell her? She is kicking! I think she likes you. Maybe she thinks you are their daddy." She said, and I could tell that she was trying to lighten the mood.

"It's a girl?" I asked. 

I know that, biologically, the baby wouldn't be mine, but I wanted to be the dad. I wanted to have a family with Katie and this was the closest thing. I was so happy that she wanted me back in this baby's life, and her own.

"......it's 2 girls."

"Really? Your having twins?"

I don't know if you are supposed to be excited about these things, especially in this situation, but I was.

"Yes.  I'm sorry, I didn't tell you right away. I didn't want you to leave before even hearing what I had to say."

"Sorry? Kate, just the fact that you want me around to raise one baby with you is amazing, but two... I am almost speechless. I can't tell you how happy I am for you-- how happy I am for us."

She came closer and passionately kissed me. "I love you, Jeffrey Skinner" 

"No matter what, Katie Caan." I answered back, before kissing her again. 

She pulled back. 

"You remember that?"

"Of course." 

"I really do love you."