Status: Active

Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight

Chapter 6

The school is appears to be deserted when they get there, which unnerves Jack more than it should. It's been silent since Colussy and Flyzik got back, the thought of their late friend on everyone's mind. Or maybe he's not dead, but Jack shakes that thought out of his head because he really doesn't want to imagine his friend as a zombie.

Everyone's stood outside the front doors of Dulaney, in a haphazard circle, facing each other but keeping a look out for any undead out of the corner of their eyes.

“When we're inside we need to check every room for any survivors,” Jeff says, “...or zombies.” He adds as an afterthought, grimacing at the thought.

“It looks pretty empty to me.” Grieco adds, peering around Flyzik to look at the seemingly abandoned school.

“We can't be sure.”

Everyone just nods, and makes their way indoors, bags on their backs and weapons in hand. They split up into pairs again when they're inside, covering a larger area in a shorter amount of time. Jack already knows Alex will go with him.

They're walking down the administrations corridor when Alex holds a hand out in front of Jack's chest, effectively stopping the both of them.

“What is it?” Jack asks, confused.

Alex just hushes him, “I heard something.” he says, making his way over to a door on the right. Jack glances upwards, reading the plaque on the door that states 'Principal's Office' and he smirks inwardly, remembering how much time he used to spend in their when he was a teenager.

He presses his ear against the doors, pulling away instantly with wide eyes when he hears the broken moaning coming from inside.

“Is that...?” He trails off, and Alex just nods.

“What are we going to do?!” Jack whisper yells, panicking. It's one thing to talk about killing zombies, but it's another thing to actually do it.

Alex raises his weapon – a baseball bat – and looks at the dark-haired man, “On three, open the door. Ready?”

Jack just nods as his hand wraps around the door handle.

“Okay. One... two... three!”

The door swings open, Jack raises the crow bar in his hand, and the undead principal comes rushing at them.

And God, he looks ugly, Jack thinks as he takes in the appearance of the zombie in front of him: his clothes are hanging off his body in strips, his hair and beard is matted with blood, his eyes are bloodshot with black irises, and there are bits of skin in between his teeth, Jack notices, as principal bares his teeth and growls at the pair.

“Wow, Mr. Tyler, the years have not been kind to you.” Alex laughs humourlessly as he takes a swing at his ex-principals head. He hits his target, and Jack winces as the zombies brains splatter everywhere. His stomach rolls, and he doubles over, forcing himself not to vomit at the sight of the blood now covering the wall behind them.

“You okay, Jacky?” He feels a hand on his shoulder, and Jack nods, glancing up at his honey-eyed best friend.

“Fine.” He croaks and gives Alex a weak smile, which he returns.

“Come on.” Alex steps over the body, peering round the door to look into the office, Jack close behind. There's another body on the floor – a zombie, by the look of it. The window is smashed, and Jack frowns. And God, the stench is awful. Jack's stomach rolls again.

“Looks like one got in through the window,” He states, gesturing towards the smashed glass, “Mr. Tyler must have fought it off and killed it, but got bit before he did,” he assumes, looking back at the dead principal, nodding when he sees a bite mark on the wrist, “Yeah, he got bit.”

“We should get back to the others- let them know.” Alex says, backing up away from the body, stumbling into Jack, who nodded and linked their hands together, pulling the other man out the room.