Status: Active

Take a Bite of My Heart Tonight

Chapter 9

It’s about 8am when everyone wakes up. Alex wakes with Jack’s legs over his torso and arms flopped by his nose, Alex had rolled his eyes fondly at that and poked him cheeks to try and wake him up from his doze. He doesn’t budge and Alex groans a little, making the others laugh at him.

Alex pushes his middle finger towards his friends before focusing back to Jack. 

“Honey, wake up…” Alex whines, finger poking his stubbly cheek in hope that the annoyance would wake up his best friend but all that happens is Jack grabbing his arm and pulling him to his chest. Alex groans as Jack’s still asleep.

“Oh, Lexy, you’re gonna have to be like… the Prince Charming from Sleeping Beauty!” giggles Zack as he fiddles with his weapon, using a cloth to wipe off some of the blood.

“Huh?” asks Alex. “How am I supposed to know what Prince Charming does? He might rape her for all I know.”

The muscular friend rolls his hazel eyes fondly before saying, “kiss him, faggot,” in the most loving way possible… well, in the most loving way that you can call someone ‘faggot’.

And at the sound of ‘faggot’ the dark haired boy has snapped up and grinned at Alex. “Mornin’ Angel,” he says in his best country/British accent hoping that his best friend would recognise the Hot Fuzz quotation. 

Alex grins at the quotation and is about to snap something witty back but he can’t before he can hear one of his friends speaking with a voice full of worry.

“Where’s Matt?” asks Rian as he picks up his Samurai sword that his dad had always had apparently for this very situation. Everyone had laughed at him then, not now though…

That’s when all of the joking dies in each of the men’s throats because where the hell is he? All that is left of them knowing he’s still here is his messy sleeping bag and half full bottle of water sitting by the left side.

“We need to look for him guys…” Alex insists, honey brown eyes large as he stands up and slides into his black Converse.

Jack looks to his best friend with wide eyes and stands up himself, sliding into his own pair of black Converse that were on the other side of the sleeping bag than Alex’s had been. 

“You guys aren’t going, Jack you’re too scared and we all know that- Evan and Zack can go,” orders Colussy, eyes glancing down to his wrist before looking back towards them with hard stares.

And in a second the two named are leaving with their weapons raised high as if to warn off zombies, they knew it probably would do little but it made them feel somewhat safer.

“D’you reckon he’s okay?” asks Jack quietly, looking to Alex with big innocent, sad eyes.

Alex nods, trying to reassure himself as well as he smiles a small smile towards Jack. “Yeah, he’s strong… he’ll be fine, okay?” 

Jack nods and looks down to his crow bar before grabbing his bottle of water and taking a long gulp of the refreshing drink; he needed that horrible early morning taste from his mouth or he knew he would be dry heaving by now.

The two that had left hate to see their Mickey Mouse obsessed friend standing at the front of the school, hands shoved into his dark skinny jeans. His green eyes are focused on the zombie that is stumbling towards him- the zombie that he recognises. He is biting his lip as he watched the zombie who is now in front of him.

“I loved you, you know that?” laughed the green eyes man humourlessly as he twirls his weapon, not bothering to stop the lunging of the zombie. He doesn’t want to hurt it- he didn’t mind if he got hurt by it.

“Unff…” moans the zombie.

“It’s pathetic now, talking to a zombie like you actually care- I know you don’t. I was gonna tell you, before you turned into this… but I didn’t have the balls!” he laughs again, green eyes clouded as he holds up his own weapon to himself this time. “So I guess, you could eat me now… or I could do it myself... I just don’t think I can cope without you anymore.”

The two males watching aren’t getting there fast enough.

They didn’t get there in time to stop their friend; they couldn’t help the now dead man on the floor. All they can do is cry.

The zombie he had been talking to was Vinny.