‹ Prequel: She Makes Me Wanna
Sequel: Bring Me To Life

We Found Love

Chapter Thirteen-Things That Go Bump In The Night

Jack’s Point of View

I headed out of Smithy’s and went to hail a cab, but right before I was able to say anything, a voice cut through the air like ice.

“Hey faggot!”

I turned slowly towards the voice, and saw three guys leaning against the building next to Smithy’s. They were big and mean looking, and I immediately turned to head back into the bar. However, they were quick too, and one of them grabbed me by the arm before I could get inside.

“Holy shit guys, it’s Jack Benson! Dude, there’s a fag on the Penguins?!” the guy holding my arm cried. Before I could say anything else, they were beating the shit out of me. If it had been one on one, I could’ve taken them easily, but this was street fighting and I was all too familiar with being terrible in three-on-one situations. Once they had their fun, leaving me crumpled in the gutter, they told me never to set foot on the ice again or they’d kill me. I managed to hail a cab, gave the cabbie Emily’s address, and tried not to pass out in the back seat.

Sidney’s Point of View

Once we emerged from Emily's bedroom, I explained to her everything that Dan had said after she left, and once I was done explaining, she was looking a lot happier. She pulled me back over to the couch, hit the mute button on the TV, and shoved me into the cushions. I raised my eyebrows as she smirked at me, but any questions I might have had were wiped away the second she sat on my lap and began to kiss me. I ran my hands through her hair, and, although I had never thought it was possible, kissing Emily felt better than ever. I suppose it was the fact that we were no longer hiding anything, or that I wasn’t afraid that one of us would be traded if somebody found out, but I wasn’t really concerned as to why it was better, just that it was better. Emily rested her hands on my chest, and eventually the kisses went from hot and heavy to gentle and loving. Those kisses were the ones that sent shivers down my spine of a different kind. I wasn’t used to feeling vulnerable, but at that moment I was. Eventually we wound up just holding each other, her head resting against my chest, her arms wrapped tightly around my waist. I pressed my nose into her hair, squeezed her gently, and then rested my chin on her shoulder. This was the way things were supposed to be, I decided, and I would do anything to keep them that way.

Just as we were about to doze off, there was another knock at the door. This time it was hurried, urgent even, and Emily jolted up so quickly that she fell off the couch. I helped her up before opening the door, knowing that this would be the second unexpected visitor for the night, and hoping that it wasn’t a crazy fan.

Instead, it was Jack, and I heard Emily gasp as he stumbled into the room and almost collapsed against me.

Emily’s Point of View

“Jack!?” I cried as I took in the bloody heap of a man that Sidney had helped onto my couch. Jack groaned, his blue eyes ringed with black bruises, his nose plastered in dry blood, and a trickle of dried blood running down from his curly blonde hair. I immediately rushed to the closet and grabbed the first aid kit, a few wash cloths, and a towel before grabbing an icepack from the kitchen and running back into the family room. Sidney had grabbed a trashcan, which Jack was currently throwing up into, and dropped to my knees next to my friend.

“Jack, what happened?” I asked, dabbing at his forehead with a cool, wet, washcloth.

“Jumped…bar…didn’t like gays,” Jack mumbled, and I raised my eyebrows.

“Jack, what bar did you go to?” I whispered.

“Smithy’s,” he croaked before heaving again. Smithy’s was one of the only gay bars in Pittsburgh near where Jack lived, and I was actually surprised that he had gone there. However, I was even more surprised that he showed up at my place looking how he did.

“What do you mean they didn’t like gays? It’s a gay bar,” I muttered, trying to keep my voice low so that Sidney wouldn’t hear. Sidney had taken the hint and had headed into the kitchen. I could hear him grabbing a glass out of the cabinet.

“I walked outside to catch a cab, and a few jerks had apparently been waiting for a guy to walk out…started calling me a faggot and one grabbed me before I had the chance to head inside. Once they saw who I was, I was done. They beat the shit out of me and told me they’d kill me if I even thought about getting back on the ice…said they don’t need a disgusting fag ruining their team,” Jack explained once he stopped throwing up. He looked scared and exhausted, like a caged animal. I dropped the washcloth and hugged him gently, noticing all too well how he winced when I touched him.

“Jack, did you call the cops?” I asked. He shook his head.

“Don’t,” he muttered, and I sighed.

“You didn’t get a good look at them, did you?” I asked.

“No…and I don’t need the cops knowing I’m gay too,” Jack croaked, and just then Sidney walked in. He handed Jack a glass of water, and sat down next to him.

“Alright…so tell me what happened,” Sidney said, and Jack looked at me fearfully. I nodded, so Jack sighed heavily and began to explain to Sidney.

A few hours later, Sidney was shocked but just as determined as ever to help out his teammate. He eventually convinced Jack that it was time to call Dan and explain to him what had happened, and I set up the guest bedroom for Jack so that he didn’t have to go anywhere that night. By the time I walked out of the guest bedroom, Dan Bylsma was standing in my living room, looking bleary eyed and a lot less pleased to be there than he was a few hours ago. Jack was explaining to him in full detail what had happened, and Dan nodded when it was appropriate before turning to Sidney.

“Well, I’m glad you three decided to call me on this. Sidney, I want you and Emily to take Jack to the hospital; he’s looking a little concussed. I’m going to go make some phone calls, we’re going to have to have a press conference. Of course, we’ll only divulge the necessary details if you’d like Jack…call me when the doctors talk to you, alright?” Dan said. Sidney nodded and helped Jack up, while Dan walked out once more, glued to his phone instantly.

The hospital was a whirlwind of activity, and it was hard to get Jack into the ER, but once he was in, the doctors were quick to help him. A few hours later the doctors told us that Jack had a minor concussion and would be kept the rest of the night for observation. We called Dan, who was rather quick to get off the phone, and then headed back to my apartment, not nearly as happy as we had been a few hours prior.
♠ ♠ ♠
This was one of the only chapters that I had been able to salvage from the crashes (Mibba and my computer), so here ya go!