‹ Prequel: She Makes Me Wanna
Sequel: Bring Me To Life

We Found Love

Chapter Sixteen-Alive But Not Well

Have you ever felt seconds become minutes? Minutes become hours? Hours become years? That’s what it feels like when you’re waiting in the emergency room, not knowing whether the person you care about is going to walk out of those doors, or if some strange doctor in overly clean scrubs is going to hand you a box full of their things and tell you that they couldn’t do anything more.

I do my best not to go insane, wiping the tears off of Emily’s cheeks when I’m afraid that mine are about to spill over onto my cheeks. My team needs me to be strong. Emily needs me to be strong. I need me to be strong. Jack and I weren’t the closest, but he was my teammate, and to me that was like being a brother. I think about Taylor. I wonder if Jack has any siblings. I squeeze Emily tighter when I realize she lost a sister. We all freeze when someone walks through the doors of the OR, but sigh in both relief and disappointment when the nurse or doctor walks over to some other family. We must look crazy. Half of us have black eyes and split lips. Most of us are drunk, or at least buzzed. We’re a dysfunctional, half insane family, but we’re here.

It seems like weeks pass before a doctor finally comes up to us, not holding a box, but not smiling at us either.

“Are Mr. and Mrs. Benson here?” the doctor asks no one in particular.

“No, they’re flying in from Ottawa now,” I reply, and the doctor sighs heavily.

“Well then I suppose I’ll tell you, since you’re all here for Jack. We’ve repaired the damage to his abdomen done by the bullet, and the bullet didn’t touch his spine or any major organs, but he’s going to have a long road ahead of him. He’ll be on bed rest for at least three weeks, and he won’t be able to exercise even lightly until at least January. He’s still asleep, but when he wakes up I’ll send a nurse out here to tell you,” the doctor says before walking away.

“Oh thank God,” Emily squeaks weakly before slipping into the chair behind her. She’s sobbing again, but this time I know that she’s crying tears of relief.
♠ ♠ ♠
another salvaged chapter, but it was the short one D: