In the Book of Me and You

I Stumble My Way Towards Another Day

When I heard a horn outside of my house at 5:35 I grimaced, I was home alone and I couldn’t help thinking it would’ve been slightly nicer if he had come to the front door rather than just idling in front of the house. Nevertheless, I grabbed my bag and walked downstairs, relieved that Matt didn’t honk again even though I wasn’t rushing. I grabbed the set of keys my aunt had given me off the kitchen table and walked outside, locking the door behind me before walking leisurely to the car.

“Uh, thanks for this, I appreciate it,” I said through the rolled down window and opened the door, climbing inside awkwardly because it was quite a step up.

“It’s no problem, Andrea, I’ve known your aunt for a long time so I don’t mind doing her a favor,” he said smiling a toothy grin, exposing straight white teeth.

“You can just call me Andy,” I remarked boringly and I was pretty sure I must’ve left my personality behind at the house because usually I was way more talkative. Truth be told though, if I left it anywhere, it was back in Virginia where my old life and friends were.

“Alright then, but sorry this might seem like a weird question but, did I do something cause you don’t seem to like me very much,” he asked, giving me a weak smile that paled in comparison to his earlier one and I felt a twinge of guilt.

“I, no sorry, I just, this is all just a little much really soon, I just moved here. For a long time I had one life and I’m just a little off because suddenly my life is completely different. It’s nothing personal, give me a little time and I’ll be back to my old self because I promise I wasn’t so dull before,” I said and then exhaled a large breath.

“Wow that’s the most you’ve talked, I was starting to believe you were shy or something,” Matt teased, sticking the tip of his tongue out between his teeth playfully. It was endearing as hell and I wondered if I’d start at a new school with a friend after all.

“No, hell no, I’m not shy! I’m just a little shell shocked from the sudden change of life. Do you go to Corona Del Sol High?” I asked hopefully, but the sympathetic smile I got in return quashed all of my hopes of having an acquaintance at the new school.

“Sorry, I graduated last year from Desert Vista, actually I have a friend that goes there still, but he might be a year younger than you. Are you a senior?” he said, smiling and I was starting to wonder if he ever stopped smiling, not that I minded. I was also rather flattered that he thought I was a senior considering I was actually a junior.

“No, I’m a junior actually, but I’d like to meet him at some point if you and him don’t mind cause honestly, I need friends,” I said, not even feeling weird about requesting friends. Matt kept grinning in his reassuring way and nodded before speaking again, keeping his eyes on the road.

“Oh, he’s a junior too, his name’s Eric Lambert, but you should know that Corona Del Sol and Desert Vista are rivals. Eric won’t care but some of your other friends might. Who knows,” he said smiling infectiously.
“Oh alright, well you’ll have to introduce me to him some time. I mean after all you’re my friend now,” I said copying his smile and elbowing him gently in his arm, which he responded to with laughter.

“Yeah, he’s cool, plays guitar. Oh and I play drums,” he said and I tilted my head to the side in curiosity, so he continued, “We’re in a band with a couple of other guys but like some of us are doing other stuff too. Like I’m in community college at night and I work at the Barnes and Noble coffee bar as a barista during the day. Eric is in high school, Jared has a job, Mike has a job, Craig has a job so yeah, we’re busy but we’re still doing the music thing. There is a lot of musical talent here in Arizona actually,” He said and I just listened happily, preferring to talk about him rather than myself.

“Hm, I wonder if anyone at my school is musically inclined..Also what’s your band name Matt?” I said, keeping my talking to a minimum.

“I think so, but you’ll have to find out the specifics because I’m really not quite sure. And my band’s name is blessthefall and we’re post-hardcore if you know what that is,” he said, and for once he seemed somewhat nervous.

“Yeah, I know what post hardcore music is, it’s great, I’d love to hear you guys play some time if you don’t mind,” I said trying to affect a reassuring smile and it seemed to work because he perked up immediately.

“I think that’d be awesome, I mean you’re welcome when you want,” he rushed and I leaned into him smiling because honestly he was being charming again. At least I had someone outside of school that I could be friends with, and that put me at ease as we chatted about my old home, what he wanted to do in life, what food we couldn’t live without.

“No but seriously, Wendy’s frosties are the best! I can’t believe you only had one once in your life—Oh hey, we’re here, I’ll pull into short term parking and you can lead the way,” he said, switching tracks quickly and I looked away from him to notice we were in fact at the airport. I couldn’t suppress the excited little squeal that spilled stupidly from my mouth.

“You never told me, what are we here to pick up?” Matt asked, clearly intrigued by what had caused me to utter the stupid girly sound. Though he probably didn’t think of it that way if I was being honest.

“Oh, I’m getting a puppy! A golden retriever,” I said grinning wide as Matt got out of the car and walked around, opening the door for me like a gentleman. To me though, it seemed somewhat strange and I looked at him curiously before sliding out. He just shook his head good humouredly and laughed as if I was the weird one for not being used to having the door opened for me. Regardless of who was weirder, we both walked inside and I led him to the baggage claim desk. I realized I didn’t have to wait as I saw the kennel atop the desk and heard a soft barking that had me embarrassingly close to tears in seconds.

“Um, Andy? Are you--?” Matt started to ask but I took off running to the desk to look inside the kennel and see a fluffy and disoriented looking golden ball of fur blinking back at me. Without really thinking I signed all the papers and brandished all needed IDs in what had to be record time and was walking out watery eyed with Matt who was leading me by the arm as I was a little distracted by my new puppy.

“I’ve got to hand it to you, it’s extremely cute. But what’re you gonna name it?” Matt asked when I’d finally relinquished my now sleeping puppy in kennel to the floor of his jeep and I’d tucked my legs under myself so as to make room. My attention finally not completely dominated, I had time to consider what I would name her.

“I kind of think I’m going to name her Daisy. What do you think?” I asked, hoping he wouldn’t roll his eyes at the total femininity of the name. Then again my new puppy was a girl, so you really couldn’t blame me for it.

“Well I was sort of thinking Triscuit, but yeah I like Daisy for her a lot so I think you should go with that,” Matt said, smiling at some private joke that I didn’t really understand when he mentioned the name Triscuit.

“You know, we haven’t talked that long, but can I admit something to you?” I asked, really hoping he was up for hearing about my worries. He seemed attentive enough though and when he nodded I took that as a go ahead. “I’m fucking terrified about going to school tomorrow. I don’t know anyone in my grade and barely anyone out of it and this is a new town and school and experience. I’m worried that I’m going to get there and everyone is going to hate me,” I mumbled stupidly.

“No one is going to hate you Andy. I just met you and I don’t, so I think you’ll be fine. Also I doubt if school will be as bad as you think, and if it is, you have a puppy to come home and cuddle with. Daisy will cheer you up,” Matt said and while the first part was reassuring, the latter part was not, my smile fell, and my eyes grew in worry. He noticed the change and quickly scrambled to clarify, “I’m just kidding, it’ll be fine Andy!”

“I hope you’re right,” I murmured and looked at my lap trying to distract myself with thinking about music. We remained quiet for the remainder of the car ride until I got out at which point Matt took my phone number and said a goodbye and good luck. With Daisy silent in her kennel I walked into my new house and up to my room to play with my puppy and try to forget my impending doom coming tomorrow on the wings of school.
♠ ♠ ♠
No beta, so yeah..There's that as my excuse for random words being left out if there are any.
Comment and/or Subscribe if you like.
Seriously Comments make my day and make me want to post more.

TC goes to Menomena with "Muscle'n Flo"