In the Book of Me and You

Who We Are, It's Nothing But a Point of View

Eric was eating a burger while telling a long and funny story when I felt my phone buzz, I was curious as to who precisely it’d be as I was sure DJ had told my Aunt and Uncle where I’d be so I checked it under the table not wanting to seem rude. The screen showed that I had a text message from Matt and I looked up at him, trying to catch his eye, but he just paid rapt attention to Eric.

‘I’m sorry, he doesn’t consider the reason why you’d have to live with someone other than your parents’ I read the message and typed back a short response, looking at Eric while I did so but not really hearing what he was saying.

‘It’s alright, it’s been years since they’ve been gone, you’d think I’d be better about it’ I said, knowing I couldn’t explain that the reason I still got so nervous was because of the circumstances surrounding their death. My phone buzzed a second later and I was becoming impressed how well Matt could act like he was fully focused on Eric’s story when he wasn’t.

‘How old were you?’

‘Eight’ I simply put which caused a rather quick response from Matt.

‘I’m really sorry, it must’ve been hard,’ the text said and I thanked whoever was looking out for me that Matt hadn’t asked how it’d happened and had just offered sympathies instead.

‘Thank you. But really we shouldn’t do this to Eric, he seems so enthusiastic,’ I said, finally catching Matt’s eye when he’d looked up from reading the test, and just grinning.

‘Wait until you meet Craig.’ My phone buzzed and then Eric had finished talking and Matt took over.

“Yeah Eric, that’s why you don’t wait until the night before a science project is due to do it. Anyway, Andy finished her burger like 20 minutes ago and you’re done now, so it’s time to get rolling to practice,” Matt said and I grabbed my frosty from the table, determined to eat it in the car now that it had softened up a bit.

“I mean it would’ve been fine if it hadn’t been a cell model built from food but honestly finding random candy at like 10:45 all around town and then building it was hard,” Eric mused as we walked out to the car, slower now as the worst of the rain had gone through.

I filled the short car ride to Craig’s place with introspection while the boys sang along to the radio, but all too soon the car was pulling up to a house in a hauntingly familiar neighborhood. I felt like I’d been here before but I didn’t really know why, it was probably just similar in layout to a neighborhood in Virginia I wagered. I followed Matt and Eric inside and down stairs into a den where instruments were set up and where two blonde guys sat on a couch playing video games. Matt tiptoed behind them and then yelled “HELLO” loudly, causing both the light blonde and sandy blonde boys to jump and scream. Eric stood behind them laughing loudly until Matt grabbed him and jumped over the back of the couch onto the laps of the guys and pulled Eric with him, starting a cross between a dog pile and a wrestling match. The action there made it so I didn’t notice the footsteps coming down the stairs behind me until there was a new voice right next to me that wasn’t loud enough to alert the other guys but that I could here.

“You must be Matt’s new friend, he said he was going to be bringing someone to listen, I’m Craig,” the voice said and I turned to face a familiar set of eyes and black hair. A familiar neighborhood and now a face that was somewhat recognizable to me, if only just. I wasn’t alone in recognition either, and the new arrival’s eyes widened as I turned.

“Alexandra?” he said louder and I didn’t know what to do. I should’ve remembered, I should’ve recognized the neighborhood I grew up in and should’ve put two and two together when I heard that someone by the name of Craig was living in this neighborhood.

“No, that’s Andrea. Which I guess is a similar name..” Matt cut in, saving me once again from my inability to speak. I recognized who I was talking to now. Craig Mabbitt. Who apparently had pretty good memory for faces and names.

“Sorry you just look familiar, like someone who was an acquaintance when I was a kid,” he said and I could see something like disappointment on his face and I felt horrible. We’d been friends when we were younger even though he was older than me. Suddenly this house felt like home as I’d spent afternoons in the kitchens with Craig’s mom making us lunch.

“It’s alright, I get that sometimes…” I lied and looked away and around at the practice area. I felt it though, Matt’s and Craig’s eyes on me and I worried about the former. I knew why Craig would be confused, but if Matt was looking it meant he was being perceptive and realized I had reacted strangely too.

“Not to break anything up, but I think it’s time to practice,” Eric said and hopped over to a barstool type chair where a guitar sat which he picked up.

“Well yeah Eric, that sounds good, but we haven’t even properly met Matt’s friend,” The sandy haired one said and walked over to me, extending a hand which I took, shaking it firmly, “I’m Jared Warth, and that’s Mike Frisby,” he said, motioning from himself to the other blonde before letting go of my hand.

“Right, well for everyone who doesn’t know, I’m Andrea Williams but I prefer Andy or AJ,” I announced still trying not to look at Craig or Matt.

“Well, AJ, you ready to hear some music?” Mike asked as he slung a guitar around his neck and the rest of the band filed into the practice area.

“Hell yes!” I said enthusiastically and plopped down onto a lounge chair where I could watch them as they went through their repertoire of songs.
♠ ♠ ♠
Well this seems suspicious. On a side note, I apologize for being lax in updating, college hit me hard, but I should be updating better for a while now! Not beta-d

chapter title credit goes to From First to Last with "We All Turn Back to Dust"