Status: Active

Evanescent

The Bridge Disappeared

Growing up, Lilly's mother always told her that she would find her yellow bird. The more she looked for it, the more elusive that delicate little bird became. I guess that's part of the chase; the never-ending cycle of love, she thought. Lilly knew love would come to her in time. But the wait was grueling.

"You're just holding out for the perfect little bird, sweetheart," her mother spoke years ago. Lilly pondered the statement as she examined the pin the peppy waitress had given her. Lilly believed in omens and prayed that it was a sign of change to come.

Lilly strolled down the sidewalks of town with a song on her tongue and her heart in her head. She passed by junkyard houses and small-town businesses. Across the town, she observed the scenery. Her mind like a camera, taking mental images. In the span of about 45 minutes, Lilly had seen most of the small town.

The only thing left on the side of town, opposite her home, was a small-looking wooded park. Lilly's inner explorer urged her to go on. That, she did. Lilly had a love for forests. They were strong and solitary. Kind of like herself.

Onward she walked. The trail looked as if it hadn't seen many visitors lately. Thick fog embraced the trees. Ferns and grass nearly overtook everything in their path. The lushness of the forest enlivened her soul. The beauty of it was comparable to no other. Lilly's favorite part of the woods was how it appeared to have its own sort of soundtrack. Birds whistled their tunes and, somewhere in the distance, the rushing waters of a river could be heard.

Eventually, Lilly came to a fork in the nearly non-existent path. She chose to go left, the least traveled way. After stumbling down the overgrown path for a bit, she came to a landmark that made her question why that certain path hadn't been taken more often by visitors.

At the end of the meandering trail, hidden in the trees, there lay a small bridge. Seeing as it looked pretty sturdy, Lillian approached it. She walked to the middle, caressing the railing with her palm. Without thought, she carefully climbed up and stood atop the railing. Carefully balancing, she looked down to the rushing waters below.

"Number four," she spoke aloud. The methods of suicide came back to her mind as she teetered just above the powerful current of the river. Jumping off a bridge; number four on her list. Lillian assured herself that she wouldn't be attempting to end her life at this moment. But were she to at one point in time, she had found the most perfect spot.

Suddenly, a loud crunching distracted her from her morbid thoughts. She had an overwhelming compulsion contradicting her fear, to take her eyes off the river and look around. Slowly, she turned her head to the left, discovering the source of the noise.

Standing by a withered tree stood an equally withered boy. Startled, Lilly gasped as her heart skipped a beat. She hadn't realized anyone had followed her into the park. She looked at him a moment longer and returned her gaze to the rapids.

The next thing she knew, he was climbing up beside her. The railing rocked as he gained stability upon it. Lilly tried, unsuccessfully, to not look at him. Her eyes lingered upon his for a moment.

He looked down to the raging river then back to her, a quizzical look upon his face. "Together, on three?"
♠ ♠ ♠
Working on chapter three now. Don't be a silent reader; leave me love in the form of comments/critiques. :D