Recall

Chapter Two

The doctor smiled. “Nurse? Please take Mr.Urie to his room and prepare him for the drug. I’ll be there in five minutes.” Brendon was surprised when the same nurse as earlier appeared. “Alright, Mr. Urie. Let’s go.” She said briskly, taking him by the arm. She led him into his room and made him sit.The nurse mopped the inside of his elbow with a gauze pad that stunk of rubbing alcohol. It stung a bit,for some reason. The smell of rubbing alcohol filled his lungs, making it difficult to breathe. The nurse crossed the room and opened the window. There were bars on the outside, something Brendon hadn’t noticed before. How had he not noticed?

The doctor arrived a moment later, wearing latex gloves. In one hand he carried a gleaming syringe filled with blue liquid. In the other, he held a glass of what looked like orange juice. “Here.” The doctor said, handing the glass to Brendon. “Drink up.” Brendon obeyed, grimacing at the taste. Whatever it was, it sure as hell was not orange juice.“That was a stabilizer. It’ll keep your vital signs stable.” The nurse said in a monotone. “He’s ready, Doctor.” She added. “At first, you won’t feel anything.” The doctor assured Brendon, sliding the syringe into a vein. He pulled it out a moment later. True to his word, it didn’t hurt. Then,there was a flash of intense,burning pain,and the world went dark.

Brendon as a teen on a swing, Ryan beside him. A little girl, playing nearby and reaching out to him. "Bren-ny!" she laughed as he spun her around.

Brendon jolted awake, the strange flashes of memory already fading, like dreams. Ryan had been his friend.. no, closer than friends. Best friends. Who had that little girl been? He still couldn't remember, and her face was already fading.

;