Status: active :)

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Chapter 12

"Hey, I have an afternoon game today and I was wondering if you want to come with me since the team is planning on going out to eat after." I asked as I walked into Avery's bedroom. Her back was turned to me and she was typing on her lap-top. Music was playing softly in the background.

Avery swiveled around in her chair to look at me.

"Is Tyler going to be there?" She asked, glaring at me.

"Aves, come on. It's been two weeks since he did whatever he did to piss you off. And besides, if you don't come you won't be able to eat dinner until like nine." I bribed, knowing that she hated to eat past seven for some weird reason.

"I still pass. I have a video chat date with my boyfriend," She informed me as she went back to typing on her computer.

"You know, you still haven't even told me his name." I grumbled, leaning against the door frame.

"Brad, his name is Brad." She sighed.

"Do you love him?" I asked, remembering all the times when we were younger and we used to have these talks.

"Yes...no...I don't know. I think I do but it's confusing." She whispered. I didn't know what to say. This was the most vulnerable I've seen her since she came.

"Does he love you?" I ask finally.

"If you loved someone would you screw over someone else behind their back?" She asked as she turned around to face me. I could clearly detect the tears forming in her eyes.

"Then why do you stay with him?" I questioned.

"Because I'm scared." She managed to get out before the tears started to fall. I slowly walked towards her and wrapped my arm around her shoulders, feeling for the first time her stub of an arm. She leaned her head against my chest and just cried all the tears that I think she's been holding in since the accident.

"You sure that you don't wanna go?" I asked when Avery stopped crying. She nodded against my chest.

"Are you gonna be alright? Or would you rather that I don't go out after the game?" I asked, the older brother instinct coming out of me.

"No," she said shaking her head. "Go, I'll be fine." I slowly nodded and said, "Alright, I'll see you later then. Do you want me to bring you something home from the restaurant?"

"Um, yes please." She said.
"Alright, I'll see you later then." I told her as she pulled away from my chest. She nodded and I turned to leave.

"Adam! Wait!" Avery called out to me. I stopped, turned around, and waited for her to continue.

"Thanks...for everything. For letting me stay here, for putting up with my crap, for everything. It really means a lot to me. And, uh, I'm sorry." She muttered. I just stared at her, realizing that the old Avery, MY Avery, was still there; that she just needed to be pulled out.

"No prob kid. You are like my sister, remember?" I finally said with a smile. For the first time since she arrived, Avery smiled her first genuine smile.

"How could I forget?"

"Well, I gotta head out. I'll see ya tonight." I said, turning to leave again.

"Wait, Adam!" Avery called again.

"What?" I asked, sounding slightly annoyed to bother her.

"I just wanted to say that I think you'll make a great dad." She informed me. I couldn't help but smile, for those were the words that I've been dying to hear since Leah got pregnant; that someone had faith in me and believed that I would be a good dad.

"Thanks Aves. That means a lot." I told her sincerely. She beamed and nodded.

For the third time I turned to leave.

"Love you Adam!" Avery called out as I was leaving her room. I chuckled and said,

"I love you to kid." Once again, she smiled and as I walked out the door, the words, "And she will be loved" could be heard from her stereo system.
♠ ♠ ♠
cute and fluffy, i know...this was just a filler chapter cuz i didnt know what to write. please comment!!! it would mean the world if u did!!! thanks!!!