Status: active :)

What Doesn't Kill You Makes You Stronger

Chapter 19

"Hey Avery." I said the next day as I walked into Avery's hospital room. It was around seven o'clock in the morning and I wanted to see the girl before anyone else got here.

I sat down next to her bed and took her pale, lifeless hand into my own.

"You're probably wondering what I'm doing here." I whispered. "Well, I uh...I just came to uh, apologize for what you had overheard me saying the other day in the locker room. I shouldn't have said it. And I want you to know that I didn't mean one word of it. I think that you are a very beautiful girl and if you wake up, I would love to get the opportunity to know you better and for you to give me a second chance. I'm really sorry Avery." I sit there for a moment holding her hand.

"Do you mean that? Do you really mean that?" The sharp voice of Avery asked, pulling me out of my revere. I jumped in shock as I stared into her now opened chocolate brown eyes.

"Wha-what? I thought that you were in a coma!?!" I exclaimed, beyond in shock. Avery just shrugged and said,

"Eh, I woke up last night. Told the doctor's not to say anything cuz I wanted to tell you myself."

"So, you're not gonna die?" I cautiously asked. This got her to smile.

"No, I'm not gonna die. I'll be in perfectly good shape in good time." My smile reflected hers as I told her, "Well, I'm glad."

"So, did you really mean it? What you said earlier I mean?" Avery asked after a moment of silence.

"Yeah...yeah I did. And I really am sorry for saying those things about you."

"Then why did you say them?"

"Because..." I started. But, the truth was, I didn't have an answer. And I told her that.

"Well," she stated, looking deep in thought. "I'm starting my life over. I'm gonna forget the past and start anew. So, I guess that means forgetting what you said and giving you a second chance."

"So, friends?" I asked.

"Friends." Was her reply.

We stayed and talked a little more before it was time for me to go home and see if my mom was talking to Candace again.

Yeah, my mom turned out to be pretty pissed at Candace for getting pregnant, even though technically it wasn't her fault. Anyway, neither of them are speaking to each other. My mom isn't really talking to me either because she found out that I knew before she did and I didn't tell her.

"Hey Mom, hey Cass." I greeted when I walked through the door of my condo. My Mom grunted in response, but Cassidy flung herself onto me.

"Tyler, Mom says if you want you could take me out to breakfast since she doesn't want to eat or cook and Candace won't come out of her room." My youngest sister informed me. Knowing that I hadn't really hung out with Cassidy and that I sort of neglected her while she was here, I agreed.

"Let me just go check on Candace first." I told Cassidy as I made my way towards the bedroom that Candace was staying in.

"Candace, are you alright?" I asked as I softly tapped on the door. All I heard was a strangled cry that sounded like,

"I need Mom." Not really knowing what to do, I pushed the door open. My eyes widened at the site in front of me and after gagging a little, I ran to get my mother.

"Tyler, do you think Candace will be okay?" Cassidy asked as she picked at her French toast. After I had gotten my Mom, she quickly rushed Cassidy and me out the door, telling me to keep Cassidy from my other sister until she was okay. So, not really knowing what to do with her, I brought her out to breakfast like she wanted.

"I'm not sure Cassidy." I told her while I shrugged. A silence fell between the two of us as we slowly ate away at our food.

The ringing of my cell phone broke the silence. Quickly taking my phone out of my pocket, I answered it.

"Hello?"

"It's gone Ty." A sobbing Candace said. "The baby's gone. I lost it." The blood drained from my face as I got up from the table to talk to my sister without my other sister having to hear.

"I had a God damn miscarriage Ty. It's gone!" Candace wailed as I stepped into the men's room in the cafe.

"Are YOU alright though Candace? Forget the baby for just one second, okay? Are you alright?" I questioned, more concerned for my sister than her unborn child.

"I-I will be physically. But, emotionally, I don't know. Ty, can you please just come to the hospital? Please?" Candace pleaded.

"Yeah, I'll be there soon. Just let me finish breakfast with Cassidy and I'll be right there."

"Hurry Ty." Was all Candace said before she hung up.

"Was that Candace?" Cassidy asked as I rejoined her at our table in the corner.

"Ya, it was. And as soon as we finish here, we can go see her." I told the fourteen year old.

"I'm done!" Cassidy said almost immediately. I couldn't help but laugh as I said,

"Eat the rest of your food! I'm not paying for you to not eat it!" Cassidy shot me a grin before shoveling the rest of her breakfast into her mouth by the fork load. That was the one thing that I really loved about my family. We were always there for each other and we all held a strong relationship with other family members. Bit, now I hope that that relationship will be enough to get us through the next few weeks to come.
♠ ♠ ♠
you know the drill...comment and subscribe please. and just a quick note, updates will start to become really slow as i enter my last month of school and with graduation and exams and all that crap...i wont have that much time to update. sooo....ya...please review and subscribe!!! thanks!!!