Status: Going on hiatus for awhile.

Trapped in a Vile World

Chapter Twenty-Three

I stared at the back of Brian’s head. What the hell was going on? I was so lost.

“Brian… Brian I’m confused.” I said, tugging gently against his pull. He whipped around faster than I could see, his chocolate eyes wide with urgency.

“Tera, please just trust me on this one,” he pleaded in a whisper. I just nodded, and he began hauling the bags of food and me back to the door. He wrenched it open with the hand carrying the bags, and we were locked inside at lightening speed.
“Brian, I can’t keep up!” I said as he pulled me through the hallways towards the kitchen. He threw me over his shoulder and ran faster. He set me down moments later in the kitchen. I held onto the counter for balance, dazed from what just happened.

“Just, put those away,” he said as he hurried out the door. I sighed, but did as he asked. He only sounded rude because he was rushed. Though I couldn’t really figure out what the rush was about in the first place. I had unpacked everything and was folding the bags when I heard someone enter the room. I turned around and saw a pair of crystal blue eyes peering down at me from behind rectangular, black-rimmed glasses. He gently caressed my cheek with his hand.

“Are you alright?” he asked in no more than a whisper. I nodded slowly, reaching out a hand and putting it on his chest. The corners of his mouth twitched into a smile, but the rest of his face was very somber. It wasn’t a sight I was used to seeing. He pulled me into a tight hug, holding my face gently to his chest, his other hand wrapped around my lower back. “I promise, I’ll keep you safe,” he whispered into my ear. I knew the statement was meant to comfort me, but it just scared me even more.

“Tera!” I heard a shout and then footsteps coming abruptly to a stop. I couldn’t see him, but I knew that behind Jimmy stood Zacky, probably with a look of concern plastered on his face as well. I heard a low growl and peeked around Jimmy’s shoulder. The green eyes were fixed on the back of Jimmy’s head with a tint that made them a little darker than usual. Dark with… Jealousy? I kissed over Jimmy’s heart, then ran over to Zacky, jumping into a rough hug. He squeezed me almost too tightly, then let me go and cupped my cheeks in his hands, green eyes blazing into mine. “Are you alright, my love?” I nodded. His eyes seemed to calm down some, but only a fraction. He leaned in to kiss me, but stopped abruptly and pulled away, leaving a hand loosely around my waist. Matt and Brain ran in at the same time, followed more slowly by a weary looking Johnny. I gave him a smile, and he returned it gratefully.

He walked up until he was a foot away. He closed his eyes, his nostrils flaring. My eyes widened as he smiled. He slowly reached for my hand, then pressed it against his lips for a brief moment. I smiled broadly at him, and he returned the smile. He sat down at my feet, leaning his head against my thigh. My heart thumped a little faster when I thought of all the progress he’d made. I tangled my hair briefly in his messy hair to show my approval. He nudged my leg and then rested.

Matt plopped down in a chair across from us, glaring. Jimmy leaned against the counter, and Brian stood across from Jimmy, scratching the back of his neck.

“So what the hell is going on that’s so important?” Matt’s irritated voice growl.

“One of the elders dropped by while Tera and I were out,” Brian said seriously.

“You mean you took her out of the house?” Johnny’s timid voice rang out.

“We were just shopping!” Brian said, irritated.

“Shopping for what?” Matt’s voice teased.

“None of your business,” Brian spat at him.

“Awhhhhhhhhh,” Matt said in a whiney voice.

“WE WERE FUCKING GROCERY SHOPPING, OKAY?!” Brian nearly exploded.

“So, why should we be worried about them?” Zacky asked, squeezing me a little.

“He wanted to take her,” he mumbled.

This had a huge reaction. Jimmy sat up straight, Zacky squeezed my waist tightly, Johnny gasped, and Matt’s eyes were wide.

“Why did he want her?” Jimmy asked in an icy voice.

“He didn’t say,” Brian replied uneasily.

“How did you get him to leave?” Johnny asked quietly.

“I told him we used her… For entertainment,” Brian replied, not meeting anyone’s eyes. Zacky snarled viciously, making me inch away. Jimmy’s lip curled up over his teeth. Johnny nudged my leg comfortingly, but Matt’s eyes were dancing. I looked back at Brian.

“It’s okay,” I said quietly. All eyes were suddenly on me: chocolate, green, blue, and hazel. “It got him to leave me alone, isn’t that all that really matters?” All hostility vanished, and Brian shot a thankful glance my way. I smiled in return. Jimmy broke the silence, speaking with authority, looking into every eye in the room.

“We will be doing everything we can to protect her. She is part of our family now, and we can’t let them take her away.” He held open his arms, and I left a reluctant Zacky’s embrace for that of the man who was giving up everything to keep me safe. I held around his waist tightly, and he held my head to his chest softly. “We need to leave. Tonight.”