Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

One Foot In Your Bedroom

Izzye’s POV

Very slowly I opened my eyes. I was freezing and my head was killing me. At first everything was blurry, but as my vision cleared, I realized that I was leaning on someone. I started to jump but whoever it was put their arm around me, restricting my movements.
“Izzye, are you okay?” The person was asking. It took me a few seconds to realize that it was Ryan. Automatically I tried to pull away from him. All I could think of was Zacharias and how he’d snarled exactly like Ryan had in the alley. That meant that they were the same thing.
“I was afraid this was going to happen.” Someone said on the other side of me. I jumped and turned to see Pete sitting there. Then it clicked, Pete was the same thing as Ryan. They were both cold, unnaturally fast and strong. They weren’t human.
“Shh, Izzye its okay, relax.” Ryan whispered soothingly. His words did not calm me down even just a bit. I tried to tell myself to calm down, I mean, Ryan and Pete had both had millions of chances to kill me but they never had. Ryan had even saved my life, but I couldn’t relax!
“You guys that isn’t going to help, let me try. Pete, switch places with me.” Patrick said, pulling the car over to the side of the road. I hadn’t even noticed that he was there. In less than three seconds he and Pete switched places.
“Ryan, give her over here.” Pete said. I felt like I was just a doll, to be passed to everyone. It made me kind of angry but I didn’t have much time to dwell on it as Ryan gently pushed me towards Patrick. Patrick wrapped his arms around me and pulled me closer to him.
“Izzye I’m about to explain something to you that is going to seem impossible but can you promise me you won’t speak until I’m done?” Patrick asked, looking down at me. I didn’t answer, instead I stared down at the floor. Nothing could seem impossible after what had just happened.
“Izzye promise me!” Patrick said. He cupped his hand underneath my chin and forced me to look at him. I tried to pull away but remember, Patrick is made out of steel or something and is a lot stronger than me.
“Okay, I promise.” I said finally. I realized that we’d started driving again but yet Pete was turned around in his seat, staring at me. To say the least, it was a little bit scary.
“Okay, I’m sure you’ve noticed that Pete and Ryan are a little bit, uh, strange, right?” He asked. I nodded, positive that nodding didn’t fall under the speaking category.
“Well, it all means something, their unnatural good looks, the speed and strength, and how cold they are.” Patrick paused. Honestly, how can you pause at a part like that? That’s just cruel!
“All of those traits mean that, well, it means that they’re vampires.” He said. Vampires, did he seriously just say vampires? He was joking, he had to be joking!
“What?” I yelped. Immediately Patrick covered my mouth.
“”Shh, no talking, you promised!” He said, uncovering my mouth. I glared at him.
“You can’t make me promise not to talk and then spring something like that on me!” I snapped. Patrick looked surprised and both Ryan and Pete burst out laughing. Why, I didn’t think that I was being all that funny.
“Okay fine, you got me there, but no more talking until I’m done!” Patrick said. Grudgingly I nodded. But seriously, did he actually say vampires? How old did he think I was, three?
“I know that vampires aren’t supposed to exist, but they do, believe me. Ryan and Pete, Brendon and Spencer are all vampires. And they, along with Joe, Andy, Jon and I, have been trying to keep you alive.” Patrick said. I started to say something but Patrick covered my mouth. Then he continued on as if nothing had happened.
“There’s a group of vampires, evil vampires, after you. You’re lucky that we realized that pretty quick. We’ve been watching you basically every moment of everyday since we met you.” He said. Okay, that was creepy, wait, did that mean that they watched me change? Oh God I was going to kill them!
“We never watched you change or anything like that!” Ryan said quickly, as if he’d read my mind. But how did I know that I could believe them? I mean after all, they’d just told me that they were vampires. I was finding that hard to believe.
“We’re not sure why they’re after you, but Zacharias was one of them.” Patrick said. There was a long silence and finally he uncovered my mouth.
“Any questions?” He asked. Any questions, any questions! Oh my God I was going to kill someone!
“Yeah, just a few!” I said. Where to begin though?
“First, you actually expect me to believe in vampires?” I asked. Patrick sighed and looked over at Ryan.
“I didn’t believe it at first either, but you said it yourself, there’s something really strange about me.” Ryan said. I nodded slowly.
“I’m not sure how vampires came to be, something to do with evolution and messed up DNA, but we’re real. We’re not like the vampires you read about in books though, obviously we can go out into sunlight, we can’t turn into bats and we don’t have fangs.” He continued.
“We don’t have any blood, we don’t have to eat but we can, we don’t have to sleep but we do out of habit. We don’t age either, and it’s impossible to kill us. And not every, but most vampires have a special power, I guess you could call it.” Pete said. I looked at him suspiciously, still not sure if I believed this whole vampire thing.
“Power, what do you mean power?” I asked. Pete looked at Ryan and I immediately regretted asking the question. I just wished that Pete would watch the road. It was a miracle we weren’t dead yet.
“They vary; I can control emotions, like I can calm down an angry riot or excite a group of lethargic people. Pete can read minds while Brendon can see the future and Spencer can see relationships between people.” Ryan said. Well that all made perfect sense, not.
“But you are a strange one.” Pete said. Strange, I’m strange? Lovely, that’s what I love to hear.
“What do you mean by strange?” I asked, sounding insulted. Pete laughed but it sounded forced.
“I can’t read your mind, same with Skylar’s. Well, that’s a lie, sometimes I can read Skylar’s but most of the time I can’t. I can never read yours though. And Ryan can use his power on you but it only works sometimes. And even Brendon’s power doesn’t always work properly when he’s trying to see your future. Only Spencer’s power works perfectly all the time with you. We’ve never seen anyone like you.” Pete said. Was that good or bad?
“That might be why the evil vampires are after you, if they were to turn you, you’d probably have some amazing power they could use against us good vampires.” Ryan said. My head was starting to hurt, were they seriously telling me the truth?
“So, if Skylar is basically just like me, then why are they after me and not him?” I asked. Ryan, Pete and Patrick all looked at each other. By now I was just praying that we didn’t hit anything.
“Well when they’re going to turn someone, vampires tend to look for people who are pretty and musically inclined.” Ryan said.
“Yeah, so Skylar is about as musically inclined as they come, and, urg, I guess he’s good looking.” I said with a shudder. Ryan, Pete and Patrick looked at each other nervously.
“And, they look for people with tragic pasts.” Ryan said softly.
“Oh.” Was all that I said. That caught Ryan, Pete and Patrick’s attention.
“So you do have a tragic past?” Pete asked. I didn’t answer.
“We don’t have to talk about it, we just need to know if you do.” Patrick said. Hesitantly I nodded.
“I guess you could call it that.” I said uncomfortably. I quickly changed the subject.
“So if Brendon can see the future then how come you guys didn’t know that I was going to be attacked by Zacharias earlier?” I asked. I figured it was a pretty good question.
“The future isn’t set in stone, only the past is. Brendon can see the outcome of the person’s thoughts at the exact second that he’s looking. If they change their mind then what he sees will change. He looked at your future when you’d still been thinking about going to the bar, but he didn’t look again and then you changed your mind.” Ryan said. Well I guess that made sense. But boy, did I feel like an idiot!
“So then, that day back in Detroit, I wasn’t crazy? There was actually something that took my book?” I asked. Patrick nodded.
“That’s how we knew that they were after you. Pete and I had been out because we’d heard that there were vampires in the area. We’re lucky I was at the building the same time you were, or else you would’ve been done, right then and there.” He said. I shuddered, that’s scary to think of, I’d had a near death experience and I hadn’t even known it.
“And that day at the resort.” I said slowly. Pete nodded, he knew what I was talking about. The day he and I had been talking on the picnic tables and then he suddenly made us leave.
“All because of vampires.” Pete said. Well, they had me believing them now. It was crazy but it all made sense.
“So do you guys like, um.” I started but Ryan interrupted me by laughing.
“We’re what other vampires call vegetarians; we don’t kill humans and drink their blood. We feed from animals. It’s not the best tasting thing out there but it keeps us alive.” Ryan said with a shrug. Well that made me feel a lot better.
“Do us a favor though and try your hardest not to cut yourself when you’re around us. We’re pretty good at resisting but sometimes we can’t help ourselves.” Pete said. Okay that was scary.
“Don’t worry, I’m going to be extra careful.” I said quickly. Pete, Ryan and Patrick all laughed.
“Wait, what happened to Zacharias?” I asked suddenly. Pete and Ryan exchanged dark looks.
“Well, I sort of lied before when I said it’s impossible to kill us. The only way to kill a vampire is to tear them to shreds and burn the remains so they can’t come back.” Pete said slowly.
“Oh.” I said. So Zacharias was dead, that was good. But I had an unsettled feeling in my stomach, I’m not sure why though. There was a long silence.
“Izzye, come here.” Ryan said suddenly, breaking the silence. I stared at him suspiciously and then sighed loudly.
“Do I even have a choice?” I asked. He looked confused.
“What do you mean?” He asked. I sighed again.
“If I say no then you’ll just push me over there!” I said, looking at Patrick. There was silence for a second and then Patrick nodded.
“That’s true, so no, you don’t have a choice.” He said. I sighed yet again and moved over towards Ryan. I wasn’t quite as scared but that wasn’t saying that much. He still freaked me out a lot.
Wrapping his arms around me Ryan pulled me closer to him. He was freezing but I tried to ignore it.
“As scary as we are, Pete, Brendon and Spencer and I will never, ever hurt you or any of the others. I promise you that.” He said. I just nodded, he’d already said that he’d never hurt me. If he was repeating it then there was a pretty good chance that he wasn’t lying.
“And now you should sleep.” He said. Just like before, back in my room, my eyes closed and I was asleep in seconds.