Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Sometimes We Take Chances

“Izzye please wake up, come on Izzye!” Very slowly I open my eyes. It’s nearly dark now, the only light comes from a window. It took me a few seconds to realize that I was on a bed. Not the bed in the guest room though.
“Where am I?” I muttered. Instead of answering me, Ryan, (at least I’m assuming that’s who it was, I didn’t get a good look at him) hugged me, squeezing so hard I could barely breathe.
“Oh my God Izzye don’t you ever do that again!” Ryan said. I didn’t answer, I couldn’t.
“You scared me so much! I wasn’t sure what happened to you!” Ryan said, moving me so that I was in his lap. I started trying to get away but I soon found that I was too tired. I could lie down and be asleep in seconds.
“What did happen?” Ryan asked, staring down at me, his eyes filled with worry.
“I… don’t know.” I said slowly. I’m not lying, I can’t remember a thing.
“What about Mel? Who is Mel?” Ryan asked. I was silent as it as came rushing back to me. Mel, lying on the floor, dying.
“No one.” I said quietly. But I can’t stop the tears from filling my eyes. And of course Ryan has to notice them. He hugged me close to his body and strangely enough, I didn’t feel uncomfortable. He must have been using his power.
“Who is Mel?” Ryan whispered. Even if I wanted to I couldn’t answer him. Mel, I hadn’t thought about her in forever, I’d pushed her out of my mind. She’d been my best friend ever, she’d been like my sister. But then he’d killed her.
Ryan didn’t say anything, instead he just hugged me. It was kind of comforting in a weird way.
“Please tell me who Mel is.” Ryan said finally. I was silent, thinking. I wanted to talk about Mel, I really did, to someone who hadn’t known her, and who hadn’t known me when all of that had happened. But how could I? I couldn’t even sing her song without crying.
Butterflies Are Only Pretty To Look At.” I whispered, tears rolling down my cheeks. Ryan brushed them away with his hand.
“Was she, was she killed?” He asked hesitantly.
“M-murdered.” I whispered. Ryan breathed in sharply and rested his head on mine.
“By who?” He asked. I hesitated. I’d lived the past few years in fear of this guy; I hadn’t spoken his name since the trial. I still couldn’t do it yet.
“Her boyfriend.” I said. I was shivering now, probably because of how cold Ryan was.
“And you found her.” It wasn’t a question it was a statement. And it was true. I just nodded.
“You had a flashback.” Ryan said, filling in the pieces. I nodded again; it felt good to let someone know about this secret.
“Skylar knows?” Ryan asked. Again I nodded. Mel had been Skylar’s friend too, he’d known about everything. Well, nearly everything.
“Oh Izzye, I’m sorry.” Ryan whispered. I didn’t answer. Instead I closed my eyes and rested my head on his chest. I just didn’t care anymore.
“Just go to sleep.” Ryan whispered. But this time he didn’t make me fall asleep, he let me fall asleep on my on.

*******

When I woke up it took me a few seconds to realize that I was still next to Ryan. Moving slowly I moved so that I could look at his face. He was sleeping. He looked so peaceful I found myself wondering just how exactly he could be a vampire.
Ten minutes later he woke up. At first he looked confused and then he looked embarrassed when he saw me staring at him.
“You look slightly less frightening when you’re sleeping.” I told him. He smiled and pushed a long strand of hair out of my face.
“I could say the same thing about you.” He said. I smiled and closed my eyes. I wasn’t tired but I didn’t want this moment to end. It was kind of strange; I wasn’t really uncomfortable at all, which was really weird for me.
“You’re warm.” Ryan said. He started twisting a strand of my hair around on his finger.
“Yeah well you’re cold.” I said. He chuckled and, to my complete surprise, kissed the top of my head! I defiantly wasn’t expecting it!
At first I stiffened but I quickly relaxed. Seriously, what was wrong with me, usually I’d be freaking out right now!
“Someone’s here.” Ryan said suddenly. Both of us jumped to our feet and ran to the front window. He was right, two cars, one red and one green, had just pulled up in front of the house.
“Get away from the window!” Ryan said quickly. He didn’t give me a chance to back up though, he wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me back. I didn’t object, I was too scared. What if it was the evil vampires? It was only Ryan and I here; we’d be dead for sure.
“Knock Knock!” Some called, banging on the door. I recognized the voice, it was Brendon! Ryan immediately let go of me and opened the door.
“Ryan! Sorry we’re so late; we had to make sure they weren’t following us!” Brendon said, basically jumping on Ryan. Ryan just grinned and hugged Brendon, happy that they were all okay.
“Izzye!” Skylar cried when he saw me. He hugged me, lifting me right off my feet. I couldn’t have been happier, he was all right! They were all okay!
“Izzye I swear to God I will kill you if you ever get killed!” Skylar said as he put me down. I couldn’t help it, I laughed, I was just so relieved that he was okay!
“I give you full permission to and just so you know, same goes for you!” I said. Skylar nodded and then Jimmy and Devin came over. They both hugged me and then Sheila hugged me. I was surprised to see her.
“They didn’t want to leave me in case the vampires went after me.” She said with a lopsided smile that told me she was having a hard time believing the whole vampire thing.
“Yeah none of them believed me at first.” Brendon said, nearly jumping up and down.
“How’d you get them to believe?” Ryan asked. Brendon grinned while Skylar, Jimmy, Devin and Sheila looked frightened.
“I snarled.” Brendon said with a laugh. That would work.
“Yeah, and please don’t ever do it again.” Devin said dryly. We all laughed.

*******

We didn’t get to talk for too long, we’re not all supposed to be in the same place for too long, it’s too easy for the evil vampires to find us then. After much debate it was decided that Skylar would be staying with Jon, Devin would be with Spencer and Jimmy and Sheila would stay with Brendon. It was sad saying good-bye to all of them but at least I knew that they would be safe now.
“Feeling better now?” Ryan asked once they were gone. I nodded. I truly was.
“That’s good, even though you’re cute when you cry.” He said with a weird smile. I just stared at him.
“Uh, thanks?” I said finally. He laughed and collapsed down on the couch. I wasn’t quite sure what to do so I wondered over to the couch and sat next to them.. Then there was a long silence.
“You’re really pretty.” He said suddenly. Wow that was random, and not something I hear very often.
“Um, thanks.” I said uncomfortably. Ryan leaned forward, his eyes intent on me.
“I mean it, you’re beautiful.” He said. Well this was awkward so I didn’t say anything.
“You don’t believe me?” Ryan asked. Man this kid was difficult!
“I didn’t say that!” I said. Ryan smiled.
“You didn’t say it wasn’t true either.” He pointed out. Damn him, always making sense!
“Can I tell you something?” Ryan asked after an awkward silence. Hesitantly I nodded.
“Are you going to believe me?” He asked suspiciously. Again I nodded.
“Well, fine. I think that I’ve fallen in love.” He said. Well I swear to God that my heart skipped a beat.
“Really, with who?” I asked, trying to sound uninterested. I failed miserably and Ryan grinned at me.
“Guess.” He said. Damn him again, I hate guessing!
“Brendon.” I said. Ryan gave me a funny look and shook his head.
“No guess again.” He said. I thought for a moment.
“Jimmy.” I said. Ryan shook his head.
“Pete?” I suggested. Ryan glared at me.
“Stop it with the guys, I’m not gay!” He said. I rolled my eyes good-naturedly.
“Fine! Um, some random person I don’t know?” I said. He shook his head.
“Your grandmother?” At this he made a face and I laughed.
“Ew no! Let me give you a hint!” He said. And with that Ryan freaking Ross kissed me.