Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

A Teenage Vow In A Parking Lot

It felt like I was in a nightmare that I would wake up from at any time. I would wake up and find that everything was just peachy, there were no evil vampires after me and Skylar would safe.
But of course, with my luck, this was no nightmare. This was real, Skylar was gone. The others didn’t know it yet, but I did. They guessed it, but none of them knew for sure.
Rae looked extremely uncomfortable as she sat in between Ryan and I and Pete but I didn’t dwell too much on that. Ryan had his arms wrapped around me, as if he were afraid I was going to disappear, just like Skylar. Devin and Sheila were hugging, just bawling. They knew me better than anyone else; they knew what the pain meant.
Pete and the others were talking but I couldn’t hear what they were saying. It felt like I was dying. And I’d been fighting with Skylar, the last thing I’d said to him was, “Get out of here and don’t come back!” I didn’t mean for him to take me so literally, not that the accident was his fault.
Suddenly, Ryan picked me up. It surprised me, but only for a second, and then my thoughts returned to Skylar. I barely noticed as Ryan carried me outside and into the car. It was raining, how fitting.
The drive to the hospital seemed to take forever. Brendon was driving, Ryan and I were in the front while Devin, Sheila and Rae were in the back. I’m not really sure why Rae came, but then again, I didn’t really care either.
When we got to the hospital I managed to convince Ryan that I could walk on my own. He let me, but he walked right beside me, ready to catch me if I fell. Devin had one arm around Sheila’s shoulders and both of them were still crying. Rae walked beside Brendon, both of them looking uncertain.
As soon as we walked into the hospital waiting room Joe stood up and hugged me. He was wet and had blood smeared across his face and arms, but other than that, he appeared to be fine. Andy had a bandage wrapped around his head and arms but he seemed to be okay too. Jimmy was limping, walking with crutches.
“Izzye I’m so sorry!” He said, his eyes filling with tears. I just nodded and hugged him. Awkwardly he hugged me back, it was a little hard with the crutches.
“He’s, he’s, isn’t he?” I asked, unable to say the word. His eyes filling with fresh tears, Jimmy nodded. I didn’t say anything, I didn’t even cry, I was feeling numb.
“Izzye, the police want to talk to you.” Ryan said softly, putting his hand on my arm. I nodded and followed him over to where two young, brown-haired police officers were standing. Both of them had their hats off and were dripping wet.
“You’re Skyla Conner?” The older of the two officers asked. I nodded.
“We’re sorry for your lose.” He said. I just nodded again.
“I don’t know if you’ve heard yet, but the car they were in slid off the highway and rolled four times.” The younger officer said. I just stared at him, unable to take in his words. Four times, that was a lot, it’s lucky the others didn’t die.
The two officers continued to talk and I droned them out, occasionally nodding. I knew Ryan was listening to them so I knew that if they said anything important, he’d tell me.
But then one of them said something that made me snap to attention.
“Would you like to tell your parents or would you rather we call them?” Wow, that was a big decision. I didn’t want to pick the choice I did, but I knew it would be better.
“I’ll tell them.” I said finally, after a few long seconds of silence. The two officers looked relieved. I guess they can’t enjoy telling parents that their kids are dead that much.
“Are you sure?” Ryan asked, whispering in my ear so that only I could hear. I nodded. I really didn’t want to, but it’d be better if my parents heard it from me.
The two officers said a few more things and then they left. They’d already talked to the others.
When I turned around Jimmy and Sheila were sitting in a corner by themselves. I’m sure that Sheila was trying to comfort Jimmy. Andy and Joe were sitting with Brendon. Rae was sitting off by herself, staring at me. At least I think she was staring at me, I couldn’t tell because of her sunglasses, which she was wearing again. I guess she didn’t want to draw attention to the fact that she had blood red eyes.
“Why are Rae’s eyes red? Your eyes aren’t red.” I asked Ryan. He looked at me as if I were crazy.
“Are you okay? Maybe you should, I don’t know…” He said, letting his voice trail off.
“Why are they red?” I asked. Ryan sighed and glanced over at Rae.
“When a person is turned into a vampire, for the first year, their eyes are blood red. Then they go back to being what their colour was as a human.” He said. Then he put his hand on my forehead.
“Are you feeling fine?” He asked. I glared at him and backed away.
“Of course I’m feeling fine!” I snapped. He didn’t look convinced.
“I’m going to go call my parents.” I said before he could say anything. I didn’t want to, but I had to. Thankfully, Ryan didn’t follow me over to the phones.
It took a little while, with the whole long distance thing but then finally Alexia answered the phone.
“Hello?” She said. I was tempted to hang up but I knew I couldn’t.
“Let me talk to mom.” I said.
“Izzye, is that you?” Alexia asked. Strangely, she sounded excited. Why? I thought she hated me!
“Yes, now let me talk to mom, this is important!” I said. Alexia squealed with delight.
“I’ve missed you and Skylar so much!” She started to babble on but I interrupted her.
“I’ve missed you too but I really need to talk to mom.” I said. Whoa, were did that come from? I hadn’t missed her at all!
“Fine!” Alexia said. There was some noise in the background and then my mom came onto the phone.
“Izzye what is it?” Mom asked, sounding worried. And then I lost it. I just couldn’t hold in my tears anymore.
“Izzye what’s wrong, what happened?” Mom asked. She had done something horrible to me but she still seemed to care about me. It just made me feel confused.
“Mom, Skylar, he’s, mom he’s dead!” I said, my voice breaking. Mom breathed in sharply.
“What, Izzye, what are you talking about?” She asked slowly. I took a deep breath.
“There was an accident Mom, and Skylar didn’t make it.” I said, my eyes filling with fresh tears.
The next ten minutes consisted of my mom crying hysterically and me leaning against the wall, trying my hardest to hold in my tears. Mom pumped me for every little detail, at least the ones that I knew, which wasn’t much. Then, finally I told her I had to go, I couldn’t stand being on the phone, I wanted to go curl up in a corner and die.
“Where are you staying, we’re coming down right away.” Mom said. I gave her Andy’s address and then hung up. When I turned around I jumped. Ryan was standing right behind me.
He didn’t say anything, he just hugged me. Then I started crying again. Without speaking, he picked me up and carried me to the others.
“I’m taking her home.” He said quietly. There was some whispering which I didn’t listen to, and then before I knew it, we were outside. Ryan put me in the front seat of the car and then got in the driver’s seat. Then someone got into the back. I moved slightly to see who it was. It was Rae.
“Why are vampires cold?” I asked ten minutes later. Both Rae and Ryan jumped. I don’t think that they’d been expecting me to say anything.
“Why in the world are you asking that?” Rae asked. So that I wouldn’t have to think about Skylar.
“I don’t know, why are they?” I asked. Ryan put his hand on my forehead again.
“You’re pretty hot, maybe you’re coming down with a fever.” He said. I glared at him.
“Why are vampires so cold?” I asked again. He sighed loudly and glanced back at Rae in the rearview mirror.
“Because we have no blood to keep us warm.” Rae said. Well I guess that made sense.
“Why do some of you have powers?” I asked.
“Are you delirious or something? Why so many questions?” Ryan asked. I glared at him again.
“I just want to know.” I muttered, closing my eyes. I was so tired.
“Some of us have powers because when you’re turned into a vampire, all of your senses are heightened. I was always very sensitive to people’s emotions when I was human, so that sense became a lot stronger when I was turned.” Ryan said. I just nodded, my eyes still closed. All I wanted to do was sleep.
After that, I’m not sure what happened. I think Ryan, or maybe it was Rae, well one of them said something to me, but I was sound asleep.