Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

I’m A Salesman, I’m Selling You Hooks And Plans

“No way! Never, nu-uh it’s not going to happen!” Devin said, shaking his head, his arms folded across his chest.
“Yes!” I said, trying my best to stare him down. Devin shook his head again.
“No!”
“Yes!”
“No!”
“Yes!”
“No!”
“Devin please!” I begged, using my best puppy dog face. Devin hesitated.
“No!”
“Please, please please Devin, with a cherry on top!” I begged. Devin shook his head.
“No way!” He said.
“Please, you’ll be my bestest friend forever!” I said. Devin smiled and then ducked his head so that I wouldn’t see it.
“Devin please, I will love you even more if you do!” I said. There was a long silence and then Devin sighed loudly.
“Fine, but if I say we’re leave than we are leaving right away!” He said. I nodded eagerly and threw my arms around him.
“Thank you! And that is why you are my friend!” I said. Devin grinned.
“That’s your bestest friend!” He said. I smiled. Honestly, I don’t know why he even bothers arguing with me, I always win.
Right now I was begging him to take me back to my house, I really wanted to talk to my dad and figure out why the hell he was calling Rae and I whores. But I didn’t want to go alone. Jimmy would be useless if we went, with his injured leg, Ryan was a vampire who tended to get angry easily, as was Pete, and I didn’t know any of the others well enough.
“Let’s go, before your crazy ass boyfriend gets back!” Devin said. I stuck my tongue out at him. He thinks I’m absolutely insane for dating a vampire. I guess I am, I’m dating someone who isn’t even really all that alive. Awkward when you think about it.
The drive over to my house didn’t take very long and soon we were standing at the front door. I was really starting to regret coming.
“Ring Ring Ring the bell, Ring it as fast as you can!” Devin sang. I glared at him.
“You realize that you make no sense, right?” I asked. He just grinned at me. And then I rang the doorbell. It’s kind of weird, not just walking into my house.
After several long seconds my mom answered the door. She looked surprised and relieved at the same time.
“Skyla, I’m so glad you came! I don’t know what’s gotten into your father!” She said quietly.
“I want to talk to him.” I said. Mom looked horrified.
“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” She said. I rolled my eyes.
“Mom, I need to find out why he called Rae and I whores!” I said. It was seriously bugging me, your father isn’t supposed to call you a whore!
“Fine, but, be careful.” Mom said, stepping back so Devin and I could walk into the house. My dad was sitting in the living room. He jumped to his feet when he saw me.
“Get out!” He said. I shook my head and glared at him.
“No! Dad, I want to know why you called Rae and I whores, what did we do?” I asked stubbornly. He looked ready to strangle me.
“You know what you did, now get out!” He snapped. Against my will my eyes filled with tears.
“I don’t know what I did Dad!” I said. Apparently me crying was the right thing to do because my dad’s expression softened.
“You and his girlfriend, you, you-“ He said, trailing off. Now he had tears in his eyes. It was scary, you’re not supposed to see your father cry.
“We what Dad?” I asked. He hesitated before answering.
“I got a phone call, from someone who said they were Skylar’s friend. They said that his whore of a girlfriend cheated on him, and you, you helped hide it from Skylar!” He said. I was horrified; there was no way I’d do that to my own twin! Besides, Rae never actually dated Skylar, she’d never met him!
“What! I would never do that! I can’t believe you believed them! Skylar was my twin Dad!” I said, my eyes filling with fresh tears. Dad looked ashamed of himself.
“Rae loved Skylar more than anything; she would never, ever do that!” Wow, I was becoming an accomplished liar.
“I’m sorry Skyla…” Dad started to say but I cut him off.
“Sorry’s not going to cut it Dad, that hurt. You believed some stranger and called me and Skylar’s girlfriend whores, I can’t just forgive you like that!” I said. Then I turned and walked out of the house, Devin at my heels. I was hurt, I can’t believe that my father did that! He was supposed to love me and believe me, not just some random person that calls and tells him lies!
“Izzye I’m sorry.” Devin said, touching my arm softly. I shook my head, wiping fiercely at my tears.
“Please, let’s just get out of here.” I whispered. Devin nodded and led the way to the car. We both got in and then neither of us said anything.
We were nearly back to Sheila and Jimmy’s house when suddenly my entire body was racked with pain. It was worse than anything I had ever felt before. It felt like I was dying.

*******

Patrick’s POV

“Hello?” I said, answering my cell phone. I was at our hotel, since Jimmy’s house could only hold so many people. I was basically locked in, I wasn’t allowed to leave because of the stupid vampires, it seriously sucked.
“Patrick, we have a problem, a very serious problem!” It took me a second to realize that it was Devin. He had never called me before.
“What is it?” I asked, immediately alert.
“There’s something wrong with Izzye.” He said. It sounded like he was driving.
“What, what’s wrong with her?” I asked.
“I’m not sure, she’s in like, a lot of pain. It just started up all of a sudden.” Devin said. He sounded scared.
“Where are you?” I asked.
“Near your hotel, can I bring her to your room?” He asked. Even though he couldn’t see me I nodded.
“Sure, I’ll be waiting for you.” I said as I hung up. What the hell could be wrong with Izzye now?
Ten minutes later there was a loud knock on the door. I jumped to my feet and swung it open. It was Devin, carrying Izzye in his arms. She was shaking, like seizure shaking, and had her eyes closed.
“Here, put her on the bed.” I said. Devin nodded and went over to the bed while I closed the door. Then I walked over to him.
“Do you know what could be wrong?” He asked frantically. I studied her carefully for a second.
“I’ve seen this a few times.” I said slowly. I was having trouble believing it, it was impossible.
“What?” Devin asked.
“This is what happens when someone is becoming a vampire. But that’s impossible, she wasn’t bit. The transformation starts immediately after being bit.” I said slowly. Devin looked confused.
“She defiantly didn’t get bit, we were in the car when this started.” He said. “Is there anything we can give her?”
“No, it defiantly isn’t a seizure. We just have to wait it out, and see what happens.” I said. It sounds cruel but it’s the truth.
“So why’d you call me and not Ryan?” I asked about an hour later. Izzye still hadn’t improved.
“You’re calmer in situations than he is and also human. He tends to freak out when something involving Izzye happens.” He said. It was true.
“He’s going to find out about this, you know that, right?” I asked. Devin forced a smile.
“Thanks for volunteering to tell him.” He said. I smiled weakly. It was hard to be happy when something strange and completely random was happening to Izzye.