Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

And If I Am God's Gift But Why Would He Bless

“We’re sneaking into a movie?” I asked. Devin grinned and nodded.
“You helped me do one of my top five and now I have to help you do one of your top five! It’s only fair!” He said. I just stared at him.
“Come on Izzye, we are sneaking into the movie!” He said, getting out of the car. Sighing loudly I followed him.
“And how exactly are you planning on doing this?” I whispered as I followed him around to the side of the building. Devin grinned.
“Like this.” He said. Then, very slowly, he eased a side door open and peeked inside. After several long seconds he motioned to me to follow him. And I did, I’d rather be inside with him rather than outside alone.
“Shh!” Devin whispered to me as he edged inside the door. I just nodded and followed him. There was no one in sight. I wanted to ask Devin something but I didn’t dare speak. I’d never snuck into anywhere before.
“Come on!” Devin whispered, grabbing my hand. He dragged me into the nearest theatre. Some woman was being murdered on the screen. Devin dragged me to the back row and pushed me down into a seat.
“Now we shall stay till the end of the movie just because we can.” He said with a wide grin. I smiled and rolled my eyes.
“You are a freak!” I said. To prove my point, Devin stuck his tongue out at me.
“Now we’re even, only four more for each of us! If we keep this up we’ll be able to do all of our top five!” Devin said. The lady in front of us turned around and glared at us.
“Can you keep it down please?!” She said.
“Sorry.” Devin and I said in unison, smiling at each other.
The movie wasn’t that bad but I was glad I hadn’t paid money to see it. Devin and I left as soon as the movie ended though. We’re paranoid, I know. Now it was time to go back to the motor homes. Back to Jimmy.

*******

“He’s gone.” Ryan said. Devin and I just stared at him. We’d found our motor home empty so we’d checked Ryan’s first. Ryan was there, along with Jon.
“Gone where?” Devin asked finally. Ryan glanced at Jon before he answered.
“Spencer and Rae are taking him to the airport and putting him on a plane back to Calgary. Sheila will meet him there and take him to a rehab centre.” He said. I didn’t know what to say.
“And you never told us this!” Devin said. He apparently wasn’t having the same problem I was with finding something to say.
“I’m telling you now.” Ryan said, sounding very uncomfortable. I couldn’t really blame him, Devin did look ready to kill him.
“I can’t believe you guys would do that without talking to us!” Devin yelled. Ryan didn’t answer and Devin left the motor home. Jon and I just stared at each other. Finally I spoke.
“I’m gonna go talk to him.” I said. I escaped before either of them could say anything.
I found Devin in our motor home. He was sitting at the table, his head in his hands. I sat down beside him and put my arm around him.
“Are you okay?” I asked. For several long seconds there was no answer and then finally he shook his head.
“I don’t know anymore. We promised Sheila we wouldn’t let the music industry ruin us but it is! Skylar is dead and Jimmy, he might as well be dead! You tried to kill yourself and I don’t know what to do!” He said. He was crying, Devin never cried. Not when his dad disowned him, not when I broke his favorite toy soldier. But here he was, crying.
“Maybe this is how we’re all meant to die. Maybe we’re not supposed to live to be thirty. Maybe within the next few years we’re all going to die!” He said. I hugged him.
“We are not going to die Devin, we are not. It wasn’t the music industry or Jimmy who killed Skylar. It was the stupid car! And I didn’t kill myself, I’m still here! I’m getting better Devin, I really am! We are not going to die, not for a long time! We are going to be old folks sitting on a boat in the Pacific Ocean eating ice cream!” I said. At this Devin had to smile.
“And so, we went from four to three back to four and now we’re at three people in our band again. So what, at least we can still keep playing!” I said. Devin nodded.
“Thanks Izzye.” Devin said, hugging me back. I nodded. Now I only hope that what I said was right.

*******

“I know what we need to do!” Brendon announced, running into our motor home with everyone behind him. (Everyone being everyone but me, Devin and Rae, because we were sitting at the table, trying to write new songs.)
“Leave our motor home so we can finish?” Devin said. Rae and I laughed.
“No!” Brendon said, talking like Devin was a three-year-old.
“What then?” Rae asked. Brendon was jumping up and down like a little kid, it was pretty amusing.
“We need to take pictures!” He said. We just stared at him.
“Why?” Devin asked finally. Brendon shrugged.
“Because we have none of us!” He said. Well at least that was true.
“We’re busy, go away!” Rae said, dismissing him with a wave of her hand. Brendon glared at her.
“No way missy, we are getting some pictures!” He said. Then he looked over at Spencer. Spencer grinned and nodded. Then Spencer walked over to Rae and picked her up, throwing her over his shoulder.
“Hey, let me go!” She cried. Spencer just laughed and carried her out of the motor home. Smirking, Brendon turned to face Devin and I.
“Your choice, you can walk or you can be carried!” He said. Devin and I looked at each other.
“We’ll walk!” We said in unison. Brendon laughed.
“I figured you’d say that.” He muttered as he followed us outside. We got outside just in time to see Spencer plant one on Rae’s lips.
“Whoa! Nice one!” Brendon yelled as Jon whistled loudly. Both Devin and I cheered and clapped loudly while Ryan joined Jon in whistling loudly. Pete and Patrick were killing themselves laughing while Andy and Joe were clapping along with Devin and I. Spencer and Rae both took a step back, looking embarrassed.
“See, I’m not the only one who likes vampires!” I said, elbowing Devin in the stomach. Ryan and Brendon laughed.
“Yeah but she is a vampire, so it’s not creepy!” Devin said. I stuck my tongue out at him.
“You’re just jealous!” Ryan said. Devin laughed.
“Oh yeah, I’m so jealous that I don’t have someone really cold and who wants to drink my blood here to hold me!” Devin said, pretending to cry. We all laughed.
“Moving on now!” Brendon said. Suddenly there was a sudden breeze and he was suddenly in between Devin and I, now holding a camera.
“Stop doing that!” I exclaimed. He just grinned at me.
“Pictures pictures, beautiful pictures. Oh it’s time for the pictures so let’s take pictures!” Brendon sang. We all stared at him.
“I like pictures!” He said with a shrug. I shook my head, as did several of the others.
“Okay everyone go stand over there!” Brendon said. I swear to God he took a half million pictures! He got lots of group photos, than pictures of each individual band. Then he made Rae and Spencer kiss again, then made Ryan and I kiss. Seriously, he took so many random pictures, like one of Devin flashing Rae, Ryan, Spencer, Jon, Pete, Patrick, Andy, Joe and I. Yeah, let’s not get into that.
But seriously, I’m sure we can fill three scrapbooks with all the pictures he took. And apparently vampires show up on film. Well, you learn something new everyday!