Sequel: Wrists Intact

Hearts Intact

Just Off The Key Of Reason

It was hard to keep my eyes open. I was tired, it had been an exhausting day and all I wanted to do was go to sleep. I refused to let myself sleep though, in my experience interesting things always happen just after you fall asleep. I refused to let that happen tonight!
I’m not sure how long we stayed there, each sitting in a chair glaring at each other. It felt like hours but it could’ve only been minutes. Time always seems to go all funny in moments like these.
“Go to sleep, you’re tired.” Patrick said finally. I shook my head wearily.
“No, I’d rather not.” I said dryly. He sighed and glared at me again.
“I’m not going to hurt you.” He said. I thought about that for a moment. Either he was telling the truth or he was lying. I decided that it was safer to think that he was lying.
“And I’m supposed to believe that?” I said. He sighed again and glanced anxiously at the door. He’d been doing that all night.
“Who are you waiting for?” I asked after a few minutes. Patrick looked surprised.
“No one.” He said, glancing at the door again. I rolled my eyes, and for one horrible moment, the thought that I should’ve listened to my parents crossed my mind. I quickly pushed it away though, even if the trip was really sucking so far, at least we’d taken a chance and come. Sighing softly, I pulled my knees up to my chin.
Both Patrick and I jumped as the door opened and in stepped Pete. He looked from Patrick to me and then back at Patrick, clearly confused.
“What’s she doing here?” He asked, nodding towards me. I glared at him.
“She was outside, and so was…” Patrick said, letting his voice trail off. Pete nodded. Apparently he understood what Patrick was talking about because I sure as hell didn’t. What else was outside with me? Urg, I hate boys! Whoever said that they tell everything as it is was a liar!
Patrick stood up and he and Pete stood by the door, talking in hushed voices so I couldn’t hear a thing that they were saying. I hate when people do that, it drives me nuts!
After a few minutes Patrick and Pete walked back over to me. Patrick stayed standing up while Pete sat down in the chair next to me. He held up my knife.
“What is this?” He asked. I ignored his question and went to grab the knife. Smiling, he held it out of reach.
“Nuh uh, there is no way we are letting you have a weapon right now!” He said. I glared at him.
“Now, why exactly do you have this?” He asked, flipping the blade out. I thought about my answer carefully.
“Lots of reasons.” I said slowly, deciding to be difficult. Patrick rolled his eyes.
“Care to expand any on that?” Pete asked. I shook my head and Pete sighed loudly.
“Why are you being difficult?” He asked. I glared at him.
“Let me go.” I said. Pete looked surprised and glanced over at Patrick, who shrugged.
“Not now, it’s dark out.” Pete said.
“Give me my knife, I’ll be fine!” I said. Pete chuckled and for the third time that night I felt like throwing something.
“Yeah right, I seriously doubt that. Patrick got your knife away from you, no problem at all!” He said.
“Yeah well I was a little preoccupied right then.” I said without thinking. The look on both Pete and Patrick’s faces said that this exactly was what they had been waiting for.
“With what?” Patrick asked. I stiffened and glared at him.
“Nothing.” I said quickly. Both Patrick and Pete looked frustrated. Good, they were making me mad too.
“With what?” Pete repeated. I turned to glare at him.
“Let me go.” I said. Pete rolled his eyes.
“You’re being childish!” He said.
“I’m seventeen; I’m allowed to be childish!” I said. Pete smiled.
“I thought you were twenty!” He said. Oops, he got me there, crap, why do I always get into these situations?
“My birth certificate says seventeen, my ID says twenty, take your pick.” I said dryly. I didn’t care that I’d just admitted to the fact that I had a fake ID. Seriously, what were they going to do about it? Tell the police, yeah right!
Pete stood up and walked over to Patrick. They had another conversation in hushed voices as I quickly took a look around the room. We were on the fifth floor, so the only way out was through the door, which Pete and Patrick were standing by. Great, I was trapped!
“Get up.” Pete said, walking back over to me.
“Why?” I asked. Pete rolled his eyes and grabbed my wrist, pulling me out of the chair.
“Hey, let go!” I cried. Pete ignored me and practically dragged me out of the room. I tried to get away but Pete had a strong grip on my wrist. I was basically powerless as he pulled me down the hall.
“Let go!” I said again. Pete continued ignoring me and quickly unlocked a door farther down the hall. Once it was open he dragged me into the room.
“What are you-“ I started to say but was interrupted when Pete pushed me down onto the bed. I was too surprised to say anything.
“Stay there!” He said, walking further into the room. I waited until he was at the very back of the room and then I bolted for the door. I had it open just a crack when Pete grabbed me. He slammed the door shut and then pulled me backwards, lifting me right off of my feet. He sat down on the bed and made me sit beside him, keeping one arm around my waist. Being this close to him made me realize that he was freezing cold.
“You don’t listen very well.” He said irritably. I didn’t answer; instead, I concentrated on trying to get away from him. It was useless though, Pete quickly held down my arms with his other arm.
“Are you done now?” Pete asked impatiently a few minutes later, once I’d given up on trying to get away. Meekly, I nodded.
“Uh huh, and I find that hard to believe!” Pete said. I tried to glare at him but it was hard when I couldn’t turn to look at him.
“I know!” Pete said, more to himself than me. He pushed me so that I was lying on my back and grabbed my foot. He started to untie my shoelaces.
“What are you doing?” I cried, trying to kick him. It was useless, he had me in a position where I couldn’t kick him.
“There!” He said, once he’d taken off both of my shoes. “If you want to run for it, go ahead!” He said. I glared at him.
He stood up and walked to the back of the room, taking my shoes with him. Great, I was defiantly trapped now! There was no way I could leave without my shoes!
“Why won’t you let me leave?” I asked angrily, sitting up. Pete stared at me for a second and then sighed and walked over to the bed. He sat down next to me and I immediately stiffened.
“It’s night out and we are in one of the worst neighborhoods in all of Detroit.” He said. I glared at him yet again.
“So? Give me back my knife and I’ll be fine!” I said. Pete shook his head.
“So you’ll cut whoever bothers you? That’s not illegal at all!” He said, rolling his eyes.
“It’s not, it’s called self-defense.” I said irritably. Pete gave me a weird look.
“Just stay here for the night and tomorrow you’ll be able to go back to your hotel.” He said.
“I want to go back there now.” I said.
“You don’t always get the things you want in life.” Pete said. I felt like hitting him. I’m sorry, but me out of all people know that all too well.
“Really, wow, I couldn’t have figured that one out on my own!” I said angrily. Pete sighed loudly.
“Why are you so angry?” He asked. His question surprised me, I won’t lie. It wasn’t something that I expected people to ask me so I didn’t answer. Unfortunately, he wouldn’t drop the subject.
“You said that one song is about your parents, are they the reason you’re so angry?” He asked. I refused to answer.
“Did they abuse you or something?” He asked, pressing for information. I remained silent, I was not about to talk about my home life with someone who, at the current moment, I hated with a passion.
“You have that one line, “You betrayed my trust in the dark” what’s that supposed to mean?” He asked.
“I don’t want to talk about it!” I snapped, trying to hold back my tears. Why the hell was I crying? I felt like slapping myself.
“Either we talk about it or you go to sleep.” Pete said. Great choice, talk about my past with a guy I barely know, or sleep in his bed! Hmm, which should I choose?
“That means it’s your turn to say something.” Pete said when I remained silent. I still didn’t say anything, I was avoiding choosing one.
“Go to sleep then!” Pete said. When I didn’t move he pushed me so that I was lying down.
“Don’t!” He said when I went to get up. He held up his hand, ready to push me down again. I glared at him but didn’t get up.
“Good, now sleep!” He said, standing up and walking to the back of the room. I knew he was watching me so I didn’t move. Only now did it occur to me to be scared. Not when Patrick grabbed me, not when he pulled me into the hotel room, no, only now. God, I was going to have to work on that!
I lay on the bed, wondering what Jimmy, Skylar and Devin were doing. Probably sleeping, it was probably at least one A.M now, if not past that. Though they might still bye up, worrying about me. Hopefully not, if they were, they would surely murder me when they saw me tomorrow. If they saw me tomorrow. Who knows, the night wasn’t over yet!